Username Post: Border punch        (Topic#1514839)
4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans

Tell me about the border punches.

I saw the Itonic Studios border system. You can use the punches individually but also put it in the attachment and punch out a border.

I've also seen the Fiskars border punches & the Martha Stewart ones.

Which is best & why? How do you evenly space the fiskers & Martha Stewart one? Is it a pain to punch all the way around with the itonic one?

Any tips appreciated.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to 4tgrfans

Tonic border punch video

Fiskars Border punch video

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans
In response to Bxr-Linda

Thank you ! Great videos.

It looks like they are both easy to line up. The fiskars one may be a little quicker since it punches sections at a time.

The fiskars are about $11-14 for one, where the tonic punches are $7, ( you can get 2 different designs for the same money....)

Or.....maybe I should just get both.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to 4tgrfans

You can always get the Fiskars punches with a coupon at Joanns or Michaels.

And the Tonic punches look like you need the additional border system tool for them to work nicely as a border.

Ms.Schwiet
Queen
Ms.Schwiet
In response to Bxr-Linda

I'm not pleased with the martha stewart border punch it doesn't punch all the way through regular size paper sometimes...

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Ms.Schwiet

• Ms.Schwiet Said:
I'm not pleased with the martha stewart border punch it doesn't punch all the way through regular size paper sometimes...

Do you mean lighter weight paper?

I just watched a video here that suggested putting the lighter weight paper on top of cardstock and punch the 2 together. It helps keep the lighter paper from getting all bunched up inside the punch.

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to Bxr-Linda

you may also want to consider the new Slim Profile EK Success Punches. They work just as well as the other punches and take up less space.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to traceyjean

I very much like the Fiskars border punches. I have been using them for years.

aqua121
Tenant
aqua121
In response to 4tgrfans

I just broke the handle of my Fiskar border punch yesterday. I only used for 1 page, so it is practically new. I'm returning it today.

The one page used it for, I actually liked it, It's easy to use, and made nice and clear cuts.

ASiverson
Expert
ASiverson
In response to aqua121

I have the Tonic Studio punch and border system. Forgot what I paid for it but I got the border system base and 4 punches. Wasn't that expensive and additional punches are About $7. Not bad. I also love the way it punches. I've made borders with it (and so did my 12 yr old niece, so it's very easy to use), and I've also used the punches solo.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 09-05-09 05:33 PM
In response to ASiverson

I'm not familiar with the Tonic Studio punches, but I love the Fiskars and Martha Stewart ones. The Michaels in my town accepts coupons for both brands, so I can get them 40-50 percent off. Target's regular price is $8.99, I think, on the Fiskars punches, which retail for $14.99 at the craft stores and at the Superstore.

• Quote:

I think all the border punches punch best on cardstock. Thin paper (patterned paper) sometimes gets caught in the intricate design. I think the plainer punches, in general, are easier to use and easier to punch down.

By plainer, I mean punches like Apron Lace or Scallop Sentiment. The punches that make a lot of confetti are more likely to "catch" on thin paper. Or at least that's been my experience.

In general, I think punches are a great investment and an easy and inexpensive way to add some zip to your pages.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics