Username Post: Lettering        (Topic#1514943)
Tash123
Tenant
Tash123

I was just wondering how everyone does their letters and things to add to their pages....I don't have a circut(i think thats how you spell it) so I print my letters out in whatever color I want and print them out but it can be really difficult and very time consuming...was just wondering if anyone has any other ideas that could maybe make things easier....thanks

Marie_71
Veteran
Marie_71
In response to Tash123

I have finally conceded and started to use my own handwritning on my pages...

If you want some monogram letters or other lettering you can always print out the one's you want and then just cut out the letters with scissors or a craft knife. If you first glue some nice paper on to a piece of chipboard/cardboard you can make your own chipboard letters!

I'm a rub on freak so I use those ALOT! Love the Amrican Craft's stuff (but the alphas can be hard to get hold of)+ they've got stickers too. Both ordinary letter stickers, Thickers and so on. There are lots of different stickers/chipboard alphabets you can buy! Just showing some of them here...

..and stamps! Don't forget the stamps!! LOL

Good Luck!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by Morgaine on 09-06-09 07:10 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

patchouli2000
Expert
patchouli2000
In response to Marie_71

before I got my Die-cutting machines I used Stickers for my titles. Then I got a Coluzzle and cut my letters, then a Sizzix, and eventually an electronic cutter.

RuthieJo
Resident
RuthieJo
In response to patchouli2000

I used my printer and found a font the size and color I liked, printed off what I wanted to say and cut it out with a pair of wavy scissors and glued it on a piece of fancy card stock and then glued it to my page.

RuthieJo

SassyScrapper84
Tenant
SassyScrapper84
In response to RuthieJo

I have a cuttlebug kids. I know it seems silly, but I got it on Clearance at M's for like $9 and then they had some of the templates also super cheap!

livelovecreate86
Expert
livelovecreate86
In response to SassyScrapper84

Before I got my Cricut, I would use letter stickets. Before Cricut, I bought stickers ALL the time! I would get the ones with phrases, or just letters. I still buy stickers, but usually because I think they're cute!

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to livelovecreate86

Stamping is more cost-effective than buying letter stickers because you only have to buy the stamps once. If you buy a few classic fonts, you'll be able to do a lot with them.

You can also:
use your handwriting
go to an LSS that allows you to use their equipment and cut on a die cutter
use rub-ons
paint with stencils

Good luck!

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to cindy312

I once used stickers, than about six years ago I got the Sizzix and the Sizzix Sidekick. I cut most of my letters with the Sizzix. Recently I started using the Cricut to cut some of the letters I use. I also use precut chipboard letters.

sandra03
Resident
sandra03
In response to dotfree

i really want a Sizzix or Cricut (i don't really know the difference but i've seen demos of the sizzix online and think it looks awesome, but cricut is actually available in our local walmart so i wouldn't have to order all the plates online which is a plus)
but for now because i can't afford one i just splurged on a set of clear acrylic letter stamps. the stamps (small caps a-z) were about $4, the block was under $2 and i got a double pack of black pigment for $4 on sale, all at walmart. i can use them over and over, they're super easy to clean and to use, so i think it'll save me money vs buying stickers and rubons. i have some rubons that i love though so when i run out of those i might still get some different ones just cause i think rubons are awesome. i have some stickers too but mostly ones that came in kits so not all of them go with the stuff i'm doing right now.
i also have a set of craft stamps which have caps and small caps a-z plus numbers and punctuation, but they are harder to clean and are a sort of asian type font so not always appropriate for whatever page i'm doing. i like them and still use them because they come out super clear but the acrylics just seem much cleaner. i will have to get some capital letters and punctuation ones though, and some more pigment colours. but these will do til i have the money.

i have chipboard letters too but they don't go too well with my current project. they came in a set i got from costco for $5 that had all kinds of chipboard cutouts. costco gets some great kits. i bought one marked down to $30 from 60 that included a tote bag which i use and love, a scrapbook album (12x12) which i'm using (actually why i bought the kit, i had a hard time finding a plain light blue album and this had one so i grabbed it), and a good chunk of the embellishments you can see in my gallery other than the stickers and rubons, all kinds of ribbon, brads, buttons, chipboard frames, flowers, 2 pairs of different wavy shears, and more. i think it had to be at least $100 worth of stuff in there. it was all colour coordinated, there was a peach set too that i wish i had grabbed at the time.
some of the stickers and rubons i have i actually found at the dollar store. i have stencils from there too, a set of 3 different fonts for a buck.

i have no luck with cutting out letters, i don't have a decent craft knife and i'm not that good with scissors to be able to cut out the inside of an O or something without mangling it lol. but i'm looking for some other creative ways of doing title lettering.
journalling i do by hand but i like interesting titles and my writing isn't nice enough to them all by hand. if i do some by hand i cut around the whole word and stick it on cardstock or patterned paper and then onto the page rather than try to cut out each letter

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Tash123

I use sticker alphabets, stamps and my own handwriting. Sometime if there is a certain paper I want letters out of, I use a template to draw them on, then use small embroidery scissors to cut out. I usually do this when watching TV so it's no big deal. To cut out letters at a crop would take too much time that could be spent assembling the page.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to wilbur

Don't forget alphabet stamps (rubber, foam, acrylic, sponge).

Crankylady
Veteran
Crankylady
In response to Tash123

I posted this on another site that was asking about using their scraps. I use my lettering templates to trace my letters. Itake them with me to drs apts and such and cut them out while I am waiting. I do paper piecing, so I do the same them with them. I figured they can only waste OUR time if we let them. Of course theis was only after they wasted many hours of my time, and I was getting mad! I cut them out with cuticle scissors, the curve makes it easier on the small pieces. It works for me.

Veteran
In response to Crankylady

I have both Sizzix & Cricuit - dont waste your $$ with Sizzix - but love the cricuit -I still find stickers that I can resist - whatever you like works best for you - not just one way to do things you know -

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics