Username Post: Help removing pix        (Topic#1515205)
tobyshuman40
New Kid On the Block
tobyshuman40

I need help removing some old pix from my late mother's albums/scrapbooks. she used the old albums that has sticky residue on the pages. How do I get the precious pictures off. I am hoping to make scrapbooks of our childhood for my sisters for Christmas and I need these pictures.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to tobyshuman40

Do you have a Cricut or Slice? If you have the flat spatula from either of those machines, you can ease the spatula under the corner of the photo and just work it up slowly and carefully. You can buy the Slice spatula for about $6 at ACM or Michael's, or here in the superstore.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to siameseplease

I know there are other threads here with many ideas.

Un-du is good.

I've heard of using waxed dental floss to work behind the photos and unstick.

I've also heard of using a hair dryer (carefully!) to soften the adhesive.
Products Referenced in This Post:

New Kid On the Block

Try see sawing dental floss behind each picture until you have it removed. It does take some time but most of the time it works.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to sweetheart1953

My advice comes from first hand experience...scan in all of the photos to your computer BEFORE you begin removing them. Scan in the whole page.

Once you rip a photo, even just a tiny one, if that's the only copy you have, it's damaged.
Make sure you have it backed up before you begin!

Debop
Debop 
Expert
Debop
  • Debop on 09-10-09 11:12 PM
In response to Here Kitty

I recently removed photo from the same type of albums. They were stored in the garages; in the Arizona heat. The pages were warm when I removed the photos without any trouble at all. Blow dryer may work if you don't have a hot, sunny day.

Castle Scrapper
Diva
Castle Scrapper
In response to Debop

Un-du - that's what I used, and it's much better than trying to pull them off.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit

I have done exactly what you are doing, plus also have removed studio photos from the 1920's, 30's & 40's from those old pasteboard folding stand-up frames that the pro's used to use. I used the Creative Memories multi-tool when there was a fairly free corner and very gently worked my way around a bit at a time. Most came off very easily with only that. When there was a section that was really stubborn, I tried the dental floss--also working slowly and gently until I knew for sure it would come loose without damage. I also have some stiff plastic spatulas that came with my Cuisinart many years ago which work very much like the CM multi-tool only with a broader span to work with--sometimes works well and sometimes does not depending on the individual photo.

I have used Un-Du on my scrapbook pages and when removing rubber stamps from wooden blocks. I was reluctant to use it on the old photos as some of them were already starting to silver or deteriorate from a reaction with their mount so I just didn't want to add another chemical to the mix not knowing how well the original processor had "fixed" the image. It would be well worth a try though to experiment on one photo that you aren't deeply attached to, although as pointed out above it would be best to just scan everything first if you have that capability available.

Whatever you do, be patient and don't rush the process, whichever you use.

jad49
jad49 
Veteran
jad49
  • jad49 on 09-18-09 06:37 PM
In response to Ms. Fit

I used dental floss underneath some pictures that my mother had in an album and it worked very well.
Just go slow and see saw back and forth and it should work for you.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics