Page 2 of 3 
Username Post: making your own flourishes/swirls        (Topic#1515321)
*Tricia*
Diva
*Tricia*
In response to lstory

COOL IDEA!!!!

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut
In response to *Tricia*

Can it really be as easy as it looks?! I love all the bling and pearl flourishes but hate to spend the money but if I can make my own...

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to crazycricut

I have to play devil's advocate here...

The technique looks fun, but is this really less expensive than buying the actual embellishments?

I know it's nice to make your own colors.

The craft plastic is not all that cheap, plus the liquid pearls at, what, about $2 a bottle?

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical about the archival quality of the plastic. I don't think I'd want to use it on many pages.

Just some things to think about.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Bxr-Linda

You can use any trans sheet...I have used Thickers packaging. But, I don't care about stuff being archival.

The little swirls may not be worth it, but in the long run, yes, cause 1 bottle of puff paint or liquid pearls with make a TON of flourishes!

Scatter
Guru
Scatter
In response to Bxr-Linda

I made my first one tonight. I'd read this thread yesterday. I ended up using a piece of a page protector, and I used stickles this time. Next one will be puffy paint.

No idea how long it's gonna last, but it sure was fun.

Thanks to whoever started this thread!!

Sept Ugly Paper Challenge By Scatter

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut
In response to Scatter

How do you adhere it to the page after you cut it out?

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to crazycricut

• crazycricut Said:
How do you adhere it to the page after you cut it out?

I usually always have the edge tucked under a flower, also, i use scrappy glue and place a small dot of it directly under some of the dots to hide the glue ( even tho they say it will dry clear- i still try to hide it)

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to ChansGram

A glue dot or tiny drop of Glossy Accents (or other clear drying glue) will work!

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
I have to play devil's advocate here...

The technique looks fun, but is this really less expensive than buying the actual embellishments?

I know it's nice to make your own colors.

The craft plastic is not all that cheap, plus the liquid pearls at, what, about $2 a bottle?

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical about the archival quality of the plastic. I don't think I'd want to use it on many pages.

Just some things to think about.

It is definitely worth it, IMO. I bought a pack of 50 transparency sheets for $25 and I use those or just do the bling directly on my sheet. You can make lots and lots of flourishes, swirls, bling with just one bottle of liquid pearls. I bought all 13 liquid pearls off of evilbay for less than $2 a bottle, but I don't remember how much exactly. I love to mix some liquid pearls with some stickles and no two are ever the same.

For adhesive, if I don't hide part of it under something, then a glue dot is transparent, at least it is for me...lol

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to StarsNSparkles

This one, I used silver stickles and white opal liquid pearls on a stamped image.

Congratulations - wedding
By Scrap-a-Shop-a-Holic

This one, I used a Bazzill N Stitch'z template & baby blue liquid pearls
Daughter By Scrap-a-Shop-a-Holic

I used ruby red liquid pearls to make the bird here & a dot of baby blue for the eye

A Little Birdie told me.... (pg 1)
By Scrap-a-Shop-a-Holic

lstory 
Mayor

That bird is just awesome!

Lisa

RhondaR
Idol
RhondaR
In response to lstory

Those are gorgeous examples!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Smashley

• Smashley Said:
Can you get liquid pearls in M's or HL or even here? I feel like I've never seen them, and everyone else seems to use them. LOL

I want to do something like this on a layout. I went to Michael's searching for something to make pearls with and couldn't find anything. I want it white/opaque pearl-looking (I want it to look like pearls).

happygirl08
Pro
happygirl08
In response to lstory

i never would have thought of that! Thanks so much for starting this thread!!! Off to buy some perfect pearls. lol

lstory 
Mayor
In response to happygirl08

Gen, just be aware that liquid pearls and perfect pearls are two different kinds of products.

Lisa

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa

If you are very concerned about it being acid free (which I'm not really) you may not want to use Tulip puff paints. Unless they have changed their formulations recently, not all their paints are acid free. Of course there is the protective transparent layer so it may not even be an issue.

kariyava
Pro
kariyava

Bazzill even has jewel templates!

Mommy2Four
Pro
Mommy2Four
In response to kariyava

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing this, ladies. I will be trying it soon!

Ande
Ande 
Diva
Ande
  • Ande on 10-27-09 01:54 PM
In response to Mommy2Four

GREAT idea....I have two shoe boxes full of the paint to do the dots....they are really old but I stored them upside down and just checked them and they are perfect...oh my I am so glad I did not put these in the garage sale (was thinking of it)

pink.camo
Tenant
pink.camo
In response to Ande

Oh wow! I cannot wait to get started on my sb and try this out!

Page 2 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics