Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: glues and drying time        (Topic#1515499)
dgustafson74
Guru
dgustafson74

okay i bought some glue in a bottle its acid free and its a scrapbook glue. I put it on the back of one of my pictures and it warped my layout! Should I use a different glue or make sure the layout is flat until its all the way dry? Any specific glues you would recomend? What is the time frame to let a lo dry before placing it into the book. I want a glue that will hold down fabric and ribbon and pictures both. Should I be using 2 different glues?

Lots of questions I know. thanks for you time

spend2much
Diva
spend2much
In response to dgustafson74

OMGosh...I made the same mistake on my photos, DON'T USE A LIQUID GLUE for ur photos my dear! Use photo tape instead. I used a liquid glue to hold down a photo when I 1st started and my LO warped. Lucky enough I was able to remove the photo w/o destroying the entire LO. Eventually u'll find u'll have more than 1 glue/tape, depends on the type of project ur doing. Liquid glues work good for embellies. Michaels has photo tape and u don't have to wait for the mailman.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to spend2much

Oh, don't you just hate that!!! I've been doing this for a while now, and it happened to me the other day. I had read that Aleen's Tacky glue was a good one, so I thought I would give it a try on some die cuts. Wrong deal. Maybe someone can help us. I should have just used my x-ron. That doesn't warp anything.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to flintridgescrapper

I was given a bottle of Zip Dry liquid glue. I haven't used it yet, but the packaging states that it will not warp. However, I will stick to tape glue for photos (my ATG or 3L tape).

I like to use Glossy Accents for those hard-to-glue embellies. I also use glue dots for heavy embellies. No drying time! I use my Tombo glue pen for tiny pieces.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to Luvmyfam

I use Xyron or Glue Dots for adhering photos.

dgustafson74
Guru
dgustafson74
In response to dotfree

Very Informative guys.. thanks bunches.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

I never use liquid glues on photos - only dry adhesives. I do use strong liquid glues on ribbons and other items sometimes for cards because I don't want them coming off. On layouts though, I usually use Glue Dots for bulkier items.

susanlk
Veteran
susanlk
In response to Here Kitty

I would also stay away from liquid glues for photos and paper. Zip Dry is the only wet adhesive I would attempt to use on paper to paper application. Zip Dry is fantastic for adhering bulky items, ribbons and other hard-to-adhere items.

I stick with photo tabs for my photos. I generally use an ATG gun for paper to paper.

I have a photo box full of different adhesives. They all come in hand for one use or another. One adhesive does not fit all.

shelwriter
Veteran
shelwriter
In response to susanlk

Hi guys - I'm new to scrapbooking, too. I've been buying things and researching this site and youtube for what to do.

What are the thick white dots called? I'd like to get some, but I don't know what they are called. I think they make whatever you stick to your page "pop" up.

Very informative thread. Thank you!!

EDITED to say: I found the answer in another thread - I think they're called Zots! Yay! I love this place!

Edited by shelwriter on 09-15-09 09:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dgustafson74
Guru
dgustafson74
In response to shelwriter

yes this is very informative thanks for all the responses. I have been buying more glues but unfortunately I do not have the money to buy them all at once..lol so im using what I have and will buy more slowly. But it helps to know what to buy before hand and what works best! thanks!

susanlk
Veteran
susanlk

Another thing I've found that can save some of you some frustration regarding glue sticks.

Glue sticks are good for paper to paper, but I would not advise it for pictures to paper. Some people have luck with them, but many people find the pictures come off after awhile. The glue dries out and tends to not hold. Also, glue sticks dry out and shrivel up if not used in a timely fashion.

I find the photo splits to be more cost-efficient than tape runners and find them to hold better. I like the 3M brand, but haven't had problems with any of the brands. For a standard 4x6 photo or even a 5x7, I only use 4 tabs (one in each corner) and that is sufficient.

Hope this helps some.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to susanlk

I have never seen the Zip dry, though lots of people have recommended it. Help...where can I find it?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to flintridgescrapper

• flintridgescrapper Said:
I have never seen the Zip dry, though lots of people have recommended it. Help...where can I find it?

you can buy it here,,,,,or at JoAn's or Michael's craft stores,,,,,,,presumably other craft stores as well,,,,,,look around, it's often NOT with the scrap glue (why I do not know, it IS acid and lignin free!!!)

and next to my ATG gun (which can be very very pricy for a beginner) it is my absolute FAVORITE glue. Why??? it's six bucks,,,,,,,less with a coupon,,,,and it lasts FOREVER,,,,,,,and I do mean FOREVER (well, certainly weeks and weeks and WEEKS of lots and lots and LOTS of scrapping!!!!!),,,,,and it does NOT warp paper,,,,

LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff,,,,,I seriously would ALMOST give up my ATG for it,,,,,,almost
Products Referenced in This Post:

dgustafson74
Guru
dgustafson74
In response to susanlk

• susanlk Said:

I find the photo splits to be more cost-efficient than tape runners and find them to hold better. I like the 3M brand, but haven't had problems with any of the brands. For a standard 4x6 photo or even a 5x7, I only use 4 tabs (one in each corner) and that is sufficient.

Hope this helps some.

what is photo splits? Is it a tape adhesive?

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect

Warning on glue sticks..after time they unglue and everything falls apart.

My 2 cents on zip dry..yes, it works great but it's a hassle. BUT (yup I have a big BUT and I can not lie...) because of the chemicals, they had to use one lid for closing and another for applying. You are supposed to keep switching and not leave the spout on it. It's also very stringy (like Beacon's fabritac) and I find that annoying.

dgustafson74
Guru
dgustafson74
In response to scraperfect

• scraperfect Said:
Warning on glue sticks..after time they unglue and everything falls apart.

My 2 cents on zip dry..yes, it works great but it's a hassle. BUT (yup I have a big BUT and I can not lie...) because of the chemicals, they had to use one lid for closing and another for applying. You are supposed to keep switching and not leave the spout on it. It's also very stringy (like Beacon's fabritac) and I find that annoying.

what do you use then?

susanlk
Veteran
susanlk

• Quote:

They're also known as photo tabs or mounting squares. They often have a blue backing. You can put the tabs on the back of your photo or paper, move things around, then when you're ready, remove the backing and stick it down.

dgustafson74
Guru
dgustafson74
In response to susanlk

• susanlk Said:
  • Quote:

They're also known as photo tabs or mounting squares. They often have a blue backing. You can put the tabs on the back of your photo or paper, move things around, then when you're ready, remove the backing and stick it down.

THANKS! I love learning all these new things..lol I really am so new to this I dont know what some people are talking about most times..lol

susanlk
Veteran
susanlk

That's one of the great things about sb . com. You can learn so much here and we are happy to help because we all had to learn somewhere.

dgustafson74
Guru
dgustafson74
In response to susanlk

• susanlk Said:
That's one of the great things about sb . com. You can learn so much here and we are happy to help because we all had to learn somewhere.

I agree im glad I found this place

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics