Username Post: Markers??        (Topic#1515791)
shelwriter
Veteran
shelwriter

Hi all -

I haven't started making pages yet, still researching and buying some supplies. I've learned so much just reading these forums and from this site! I love it here!

Anyway, I've read some things about the Copic (I think that's the name) markers and Stampin' Up markers. The Copic seem out of my price range - but the Stampin' Up markers seem more in my reach. How do I buy these? I can't find them on any scrapbooking shop sites - and I can't figure out how to purchase them from the Stampin' Up site.

Or, do you guys recommend any other markers that I could purchase at Joann's or my LSS? (LSS stands for local scrapbook store, doesn't it?)

Also, do you guys have go-to sites where you do most of your supply purchases that are cheaper??

Any advice is welcome! Thank you!!!!

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to shelwriter

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Stampin' up Markers must be purchased from a Stampin' Up Consultant. There are quite a few here so hopefully someone will jump in to help you.

I've not used them but they seem to be a popular choice.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Shutterbugg

Yep, there should be a link on the Stampin' Up website to find consultants in your area. I have these markers and love them! Good luck!

dgustafson74
Guru
dgustafson74
In response to Shutterbugg

• Shutterbugg Said:
Welcome to the neighborhood!

Stampin' up Markers must be purchased from a Stampin' Up Consultant. There are quite a few here so hopefully someone will jump in to help you.

I've not used them but they seem to be a popular choice.

LOL really? Markers that have to be bought by a consultant like mary kay? Im sure they are great but I find that hilarious! *runs to find out what they are*

EDIT:

ohhhh its a whole line of products! LMAO im like what markers that are sold by a consultant but its a store with lots of products..lol .. forgive me its like 630 am here..lol *drinks more coffee*

Edited by dgustafson74 on 09-17-09 03:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 09-17-09 04:12 AM
In response to dgustafson74

• Quote:
Or, do you guys recommend any other markers that I could purchase at Joann's or my LSS? (LSS stands for local scrapbook store, doesn't it?)

How do you want to use the markers? Are you sure you will need them? You may be able to accomplish the same thing with ink pads or Zigs, both of which are more versatile for other uses in scrapping/card-making. You may want to start scrapbooking or card-making first before you buy a lot of supplies. Otherwise, your start-up costs can be quite high.

Oh, and yes, LSS stands for local scrapbooking store (privately owned stores, not the big chains).

shelwriter
Veteran
shelwriter
In response to IzzyB

So you have to get the Stampin' Up markers from a consultant? Ok, that's a little odd to me, too.

Are the Zigs good for journaling and adding doodles to pages?? I'll probably want to do some drawing/shading as I progress. But maybe the Zigs are all I need at first. I don't want to spend a lot of money at first, so maybe this is the route I need to go.

Thank you all for your insight and help.

You guys ROCK!

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 09-17-09 09:16 AM

Personally, I think a black Zig and a white Signo are all you really need to get started. You can write and doodle with those. The black Zig is great against light backgrounds and the white Signo against dark backgrounds.

A basic black ink pad also is helful for inking edges. Any brand is OK. I like Staz On, but it's a little pricey. I also like the little Tsukineko inks because they are hand-held and easy to rub against paper edges.

shelwriter
Veteran
shelwriter
In response to IzzyB

I've bought a black and white pen - don't remember the brand and I'm at work, so I can't check.

I don't have any black ink pad yet - so I'll get one of those and those little Tsukineko pads look cool. I've seen those in some videos I've seen.

Thank you, IzzyB. I have some supplies, but in watching the videos and looking at layouts, I was feeling like I couldn't get started until I had a LOT of things. I think you brought me back down to reality. Thank you!!

dgustafson74
Guru
dgustafson74

• shelwriter Said:
I've bought a black and white pen - don't remember the brand and I'm at work, so I can't check.

I don't have any black ink pad yet - so I'll get one of those and those little Tsukineko pads look cool. I've seen those in some videos I've seen.

Thank you, IzzyB. I have some supplies, but in watching the videos and looking at layouts, I was feeling like I couldn't get started until I had a LOT of things. I think you brought me back down to reality. Thank you!!

lol wish I would have been brought down to reality a lil sooner...lol

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to dgustafson74

I found that a dark brown ink pad is really handy. I use it just as much as black, if not more.

Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads - Frayed Burlap

Edited by amandadunn on 09-17-09 03:16 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 09-17-09 05:39 PM
In response to amandahugandkiss

Yes, I agree that a dark brown ink pad is good too and is a very well used item in my stash. I think black ink is a little more universal though. Both are good basics to have.

I like the distress inks for edging (and obviously for distressing). However, they are not suitable for stamping.

I suggest a regular brown ink as a basic. Again, I am partial to Staz On, but it's pricey for paper-only uses. It has a nice big stamp pad for stamping though.

If you just need to ink edges, then I'd go with one of the smaller ink pads like the Tsukineko. They are so easy to use and their pigment inks dry quickly.

You should be able to easily buy ink (on sale or with coupons) at your local craft store.

• Quote:

I am not that brand loyal about black or dark colored journaling/doodling pens, but I have to say that that I am absolutely partial to the white Signo pen. And I'm not the only one. Look it up in the SuperStore here. One hundred and forty-five people have given it 5-star reviews. And it is often sold-out. If it's in stock when you order it, buy two! See link here: the beloved Signo pen

~ Izzy

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 09-17-09 07:21 PM
In response to IzzyB

If you need markers for journaling, I also recommend the Zigs.

If you need markers for coloring in stamped images or blending, I absolutely LOVE the Bic Mark-Its. You can buy them just about anywhere (many places carry them individually as well as in sets), they are acid-free and blend beautifully. So if you like the idea of Copics, but don't want to spend a lot of money yet, I suggest getting a few Bic Mark-Its (or a set, they're pretty inexpensive) and see if you end up using them a lot for coloring and blending. If you do, and you want to try Copics, then your money will be well-spent.

Hope that helps!

shelwriter
Veteran
shelwriter
In response to Ami G

Bless you all for your comments and thoughts.

I will definitely look into all of the markers/pens you all suggested. And the inks!

I started my first page ever tonight and had a blast!!! Didn't finish, but it was so much fun!!! Now I see how you can get addicted to this.

KrickleScraps
Diva
KrickleScraps

I agree with Ami, I have the Bic markers and love them! I also have the Martha Stewart glitter pens....Love them too! I just purchased them, but I know I'll be using them alot! I used the markers on a recipe card and it turned out great.

I also really like the Tsukineko inks! I two different sets and have really used them alot. I buy them at M's with a 40% or 50% coupon..makes the cost about $5. I think you can print a 40% off coupon for Michael's at any time.

susanlk
Veteran
susanlk
In response to KrickleScraps

Just watch one thing with the Zig markers. They come in different tip types & sizes. Not all are good for journaling and doodling, like the calligraphy and brush tips.

I do like the Martha Stewart pens for journaling. I don't get into a lot of her products, but the pens are really nice (IMO).

I would like to re-iterate what has been said about doing some pages before buying too many supplies. It's good to get a feel for what you like before investing in a huge amount of something and finding out you don't like using it.

It's good you found this site so soon. You'll be able to ask questions before making the big purchases.

I hope you continue having a blast with your pages.

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to susanlk

I have a set of 48 Zig Writers from when I started scrappin' almost 10 years ago and no kidding--they are still fine. None have dried up. (For writing on vellum, don't buy their vellum markers though--I just use my Perfect Printing Pouch on the vellum and use my regular zig writers and it looks just as dark and perfect as if I were writing on card stock.)

Veteran
In response to scraperfect

just came across some help videos on youtube about this topic - look under copic markers and you will see all the ones that show how to use even just sharpies, and regular markers - great tips on there if you filter thru and read the blogs

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics