Username Post: Chipboard        (Topic#1516131)
angie girl
Diva
angie girl

I have a chipboard element I want to add to my page...but my page kind of has vintage appeal. How can I make the chipboard sort of distressed or vintage looking after either painting it or covering with paper (I do not want to leave it plain). Pictures of the effect would be nice.

Thanks so much.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to angie girl

You can try sanding the edges, or the top, of the covered chipboard. I like to run my distressiing ink pad along the edges, and a bit over the top, too.

BethanyKartchner
Resident
BethanyKartchner
In response to Luvmyfam

Inking the edges would work too. I like to do that.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to BethanyKartchner

Sometimes I ink the edges with 2 different colors or shades of a color to add some depth - then I sand.

anthonysgirl
Governor
anthonysgirl
In response to SmartyPants

ink the edges or cover with pp and then take an emery board around the edge to distress it!

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to anthonysgirl

I saw a tutorial vid on this site (can't remember the name of the vid) that showed using puffy fabric paint on chipboard and then heat embossing. I tried it and it was the coolest effect. I used black fabric paint and copper embossing powder. After applying the paint thickly I immediately covered it with embossing powder then heated it until the embossing powder sparkled. It made a metal/vintage look. Be careful after heating it though because the paint is still wet. Try it on a piece you are not going to use on your LO first, and if you like it then you can use it on the actual chipboard you're going to use. HTH

Edited by sweet1 on 10-06-09 05:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Expert
In response to sweet1

I am thinking you can sand, hammer and ink to distress. I am just getting into chipboard myself. I have tons of it but never knew what to do with it til recently!! LOL!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to lisarup

Try painting it with crackle paint. Then I would use distress ink on a rag to rub the ink into the cracks.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Jennifer Priest

• Jennifer Priest Said:
Try painting it with crackle paint. Then I would use distress ink on a rag to rub the ink into the cracks.

OOO, I like this idea! Thanks Jennifer!

Veteran

love my chalk and distressing ink - especially around the edges - but don't forget to sand first really adds aging factor

kariyava
Pro
kariyava

What does your chipboard embelishment look like? I just finished a layout where I used the Vintage Photo distress ink to distress the edges of some cream chipboard brackets and flourishes, again using the blending tool.

Wish for Spring (1)
By Kariyava

Wish for Spring (2)
By Kariyava

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to kariyava

• kariyava Said:
What does your chipboard embelishment look like? I just finished a layout where I used the Vintage Photo distress ink to distress the edges of some cream chipboard brackets and flourishes, again using the blending tool.

Wish for Spring (1)
By Kariyava

Wish for Spring (2)
By Kariyava

Its the chipboard in my rice krispy treat lo. I ended up covering it in pp, sanding the edge, inking the edges with distress ink, then lightly sanding the top of the pp to rough it up a bit. Worked out pretty neat IMO. It's easier to see the sanding IRL, though, since I did it so lightly.

Marie_71
Veteran
Marie_71

I know that you've finished your LO but just had to mention that if you have a Cuttlebug you can make your own chipboard elements/alphabets with the Cuttlebug dies! And you have to try embossing chipboard with the embossing folders!!
Check out this LO! The word Pinocchio is made with chipboard covered with paper. Used Olivia, a cool CB alphabet!

Visiting Pinocchio
Products Referenced in This Post:

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Marie_71

• Morgaine Said:
I know that you've finished your LO but just had to mention that if you have a Cuttlebug you can make your own chipboard elements/alphabets with the Cuttlebug dies! And you have to try embossing chipboard with the embossing folders!!
Check out this LO! The word Pinocchio is made with chipboard covered with paper. Used Olivia, a cool CB alphabet!

Visiting Pinocchio

AHHHHH! Enabling! I want one of those!

Marie_71
Veteran
Marie_71

.....and there's lots of shapes too!! *total enabler mode*
Products Referenced in This Post:

anthonysgirl
Governor
anthonysgirl
In response to Marie_71

i would take a file and sand around the chipboard and even over it a little.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics