Username Post: Using newspaper on LOs        (Topic#1517601)
xAlysonex
Diva
xAlysonex

I have a question how can i preserve a newspaper to use on my LO? i know there are products out there to do this but not what they are or where to find them. Im in the UK too so things are hard to get hold of here sometimes.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 10-08-09 05:24 AM
In response to xAlysonex

I keep a lot of newspaper clippings from my kids sports teams. I seal the front and back with clear contact paper. They still turn yellow but they won't leach out onto your pictures and other memorabilia.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 10-08-09 06:50 AM
In response to j3Mel

I would photocopy the news article. Otherwise, the clipping will yellow and become fragile.

Fargomutt
Expert
Fargomutt
In response to IzzyB

sorry i dont have any advice for you but wanted to tell you that your puppy picture is adorable!!!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to xAlysonex

I have used numerous newspaper, magazine, and brochures on my sport (cycling) pages over the years that I almost feel like an expert on this question.

fact #1 newspaper WILL yellow (stain) and yellow surprisingly quickly. Worse it may damage the surrounding materials,

fact #2 you can try various ways to seal newspaper (laminating, acid free sprays, etc.) but it STILL may yellow (stain).

The best way to include newspaper is to either photograph it or scan it and print out the image on photo or archival paper. And you can use matte paper to get the newspaper effect.

I used to "look the other way" when it came to paying attention to the acid content and now I regret that decision. It only took a year or two before I starting seeing stains & fading.

Spend just a little time and make a copy of the newspaper article. If you just must use the original newspaper than at least you have a copy you can print out and replace on the page in the future. (I had to go back back and replace newspaper articles with copies on about 15 pages before I learned my lesson.)
Products Referenced in This Post:

xAlysonex
Diva
xAlysonex
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I dont mind it going yellow i think that adds character but i dont want it to spoil the rest of the page. I have been looking at your gallery i love your LOs of the UK its nice to see it from a visitors perspective & i must be honest and say you have visited more places here than me & ive lived here for 24 years of my life lol.

Veteran
In response to xAlysonex

JoAnns has something you can spray it with - not sure what it's called but I've seen it

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics