Username Post: Clueless about tools, please help        (Topic#1517779)
pistachio
Veteran
pistachio

Even though I have been scrapbooking for over 12 years, I am clueless about the cutting machines and fancy tools. I do pretty simple layouts with lots of journaling. I am very interested in what these machines/tools can do and which one is better or preferred. So please inform me. Below are some of the products I have seen while shopping on scrapbook.com that I think looked good.
Products Referenced in This Post:

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to pistachio

I have a Cricut Expression and a Quikcut Revolution. I like both. I saw the QuicKutz Epic 6 demonstrated and it looks very interesting.

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut
In response to pistachio

Not sure what it is you want to know. I have the cricut and I love it. There have been several threads on here comparing the different die cut machines if that is what you are looking for.

Castle Scrapper
Diva
Castle Scrapper
In response to pistachio

A lot of products have some great videos that illustrate what they can do - check out the videos on their page in the store or you can do a search on YouTube. that might help give you an idea of the differences in those products.

the only one I have used is a cricut, and it is so addictive! Completely changed the way I scrapbooked! I quit buying letter stickers completely.

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to Castle Scrapper

Don't even waste your money on the Epic 6. Sorry for those few that think it is ok. QK should just simply be ashamed of themselves for this one. They have such fabulous dies but this is just substandard to them.
I say get a Cricut Expression and or the electronic Big Shot if you want to continue to spend money. If you are creative and want to spend time on the computer instead of your LO get a Wishblade Robo whatever (sorry I don't remember) or a Pazzles.
Me I set and look at my Pazzles and then grab a Cricut cartridge or a die. But that is just me.
I have seen the Silhouette here for 199. again another disappointment from QK. Another product from them that requires you to have 3 arms/hand possibly 4 arms/hands if you can swing it!
Check out there demo on YouTube I can't believe they even put that out there for people to see. Other wise there dies are awesome.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to creater1

Cricut E seems by far the most popular of the machines ( as far as electronic ) altho, the silhouette seems to be the most popular for those used with a computer. They both have their pro's and con's. Cricut is very easy to use, pick a cartridge, select image and size and press cut- but you have to buy the carts. Silhouette, there is no carts, but you have to be fairly good with the computer and finding and downloading files.
Theres something out there for everyone and i hope you find the one thats best for you. Good luck!!

LilacGal
Expert
LilacGal
In response to ChansGram

I have the Quickutz Silhouette and I love it. I like that I can cut any true type font. There are so many free fonts out there that I've put tons on my computer. I also like there are no cartridges or dies to store. I have limited space at my house. There are so many awesome digital downloads available from Quickutz. I like how many free downloads there are on other places too. I'm a computer person so it's been easy for me to figure out stuff. If I can't figure it out, I to the digital die cutter forum on the Quickutz website and someone there knows the answer. It's great!

Love 2 Learn
Guru
Love 2 Learn
In response to LilacGal

Get the Silhouette--you won't regret it.

married05
Idol
married05
In response to Love 2 Learn

Another vote for the Cricut! You don't need a computer (which makes it nice for things like going to crops.) Cartridges have gotten way cheaper than they were when they first came out. Lately it seems you can even find the newest ones on sale for around $40, older ones for less than $30! There are so many awesome cartridges out for everything you can imagine, and new ones coming out all of the time.

I also recommend the Cuttlebug - but for embossing, not for die cutting. I use the Cricut for fonts and die cuts and the Cuttlebug for embossing.

Edited by married05 on 10-11-09 06:07 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to married05

I have (had) many of those machines. The Cricut E is the one I use the most. I ended up selling many of the other die machines because the Big Shot (electric or manual) will do all of my other dies. The Cricut is versatile and I also bought the Gypsy, so I feel like I just got a million new ways to be creative. I also have the Tagmaker (use it for jounaling) and all of the Zutter line (great for making gifts). The 7 Gypsies product doesn't offer anything that my Zutter can't do. I have done some research on the Creatopia machine, and it looks cool, but it doesn't do what the Cricut offers (at least that's what I got out of the promos). If you are looking for an incredible (but not cheap) machine that allows you to Wow up your pages, the Cricut Expressions is great.

Resident
In response to 950nancy

I have a Slice and love it. You can see some great videos at www.whyslice.com. The Cricut is well loved, but I think it's a personal preference whether to get one or the other.
The Cuttlebug and Big Shot do basically the same thing, but the Big Shot is MUCH sturdier, and can handle ANY brand die or embossing folder/plate. If you like to emboss I'd recommend the electric Big Shot.
Another option coming up soon is the ecraft by Craftwell. It's supposed to hit stores before the holidays. I'm saving my money for it, and waiting to see what people say about it. It doesn't require a cutting mat! The Cricut and the Slice both require a mat, but on the ecraft you just load your paper into the back like a printer, it slides through to the other side, and the blade starts cutting it. It's intriguing!
Anyway, I say check out the website I showed you, and check out some of the Cricut videos too. And find the ecraft one on youtube.
Good luck!

llprncess3
Diva
llprncess3
In response to 950nancy

I have the cuttlebug, cricut expression, and the slice! I love all three of them for different reasons. The cuttlebug I use for special dies, but mostly for embossing. I also love that you can use any die from any company in it unlike many of the other machines. The slice I use for quick and simple cuts. It only cuts up to 4" so I use it for things I would have normally punched out with a punch(sold most of mine earlier this year because I got the slice). The expression I use for everything else, large projects, titles, multiple images, lots of things. I like each for their special features, and am happy with all 3.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to llprncess3

I see most people are writing about diecutting machines. I have the Sizzix original and the Side kick they can be used for cutting many types of paper, they can also be used for embossing. As well I have the Cricut personal, Cricut Design Studio and I just got the Gypsy. I feel they are all useful at any given time.

Another great tool is the Croc-a-dile Big bite II, it allow you to punch holes, set brads and eyelets in the center of a 12X12 piece of paper. No more hammering.

As far as paper trimmers go, I like the MM Precision Trimmer.It has a self sharpening blade.

Edited by dotfree on 10-11-09 11:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

liveandBIKN2
Governor
liveandBIKN2
In response to dotfree

I have the Sizzix Big Shot, it will take all dies from every manufacturer and it's strong enough that with some dies you can cut chipboard.
I also have a Wishblade but I hardly use it. I am going to try to use it more now that I have a new computer. It can cut files off your computer like the Silhouette. I'm curious about the Slice, I think it looks neat.

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to liveandBIKN2

The biggest difference between the electronic die cutting machines (Cricut, any model, the Silhouette, Wishblade, or ecraft) and a manual die cutter is that you have the option to change the size of the item you want to cut. With a manual die cutting machine (Cuttlebug, Sizzix, Big Shot, etc) the size you buy is the size you get, no enlarging or making it smaller. So it does not offer as much versatility in cutting things. For electronic models, I'd go with the Cricut or Wishblade SD. Wishblade you don't need to buy cartridges you can down load your image and cut it. Cricut you buy cartridges until you purchase the Design Studio, then you can use it for any true type font and some other items on it but you still have to purchase the cartridges. The size thing was what made me purchase both the Slice and the Cricut... and I don't have room to store 100's of dies!

Edited by sweet1 on 10-11-09 12:54 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Petey
Petey 
Resident
Petey
  • Petey on 10-12-09 05:55 PM
In response to sweet1

Cricut all the way!

I had the sizzix first put when i found out about the cricut from a friend I realized it was so much better.

Cricut has changed the way I scrap makes it so much easier and so much more fun!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics