Username Post: Stitching Your LO        (Topic#1517987)
jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo

I notice some of you have wonderful stitching on yur layouts. I have mastered lines, circles and simple shapes....but how are you guys getting flowers and more detailed things on your paper without messing it up?

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi
In response to jennaroo

Some people use stitching templates.. and some by hand.. I haven't used a stitching template yet but have been looking into buying a few.
Products Referenced in This Post:

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to SQ Mandi

Some people just find a picture they like (colorbook pictures have simple lines to follow) and they just pierce the paper using the picture as a template.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to johnsusan8

I've been using the Bazzill templates.

TurtleLove
Expert
TurtleLove
In response to Tina scraps

I have had some success with stamping an image/word and then hand stitching over top of it.

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo
In response to TurtleLove

Can I just any sewing needle when doing it by hand, or is there a special one for the paper?

lstory 
Mayor
In response to jennaroo

Any old needle and embroidery floss. DMC floss often goes on sale at the big chains 4/$1 or thereabouts.

Lisa

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to lstory

I like to use a paper piercer and then a crosstitch needle because it's not extrememly sharp.

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23

I use the Bazzill templates often too.

One other thing you can do is to use your chipboard alphas (the template after you have punched the alphas out) and stitch that. You can trace them and then punch holes and stitch along the lines and the floss will cover it up ... if that makes any sense!

shelwriter
Veteran
shelwriter
In response to peenut_23

How many strands of floss do you use?

If I remember correctly when you're cross-stitching, you un-thread the floss and only use 2 or 3 or something like that. Is that what you guys do, too?

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to shelwriter

I usually use the whole six strands. It seems to make the stitching stand out more, but I have used three strands for a few things.

rockmom
Governor
rockmom

• shelwriter Said:
How many strands of floss do you use?

If I remember correctly when you're cross-stitching, you un-thread the floss and only use 2 or 3 or something like that. Is that what you guys do, too?

Generally I use all 6 strands but if I want a more dlicate look I will use less. I've used as few as 2 strands. If you use just few strands then your needle should be smaller so the hole isn't too large looking.

Karen.W
Diva
Karen.W

Hmmmm I have a question...I use just regular thread. I've heard about this floss stuff you guys use but always forget to buy it being I have every color of the rainbow thread lol. Is there a big difference between the 2?

Does anyone in this forum have an LO in their gallery that has floss stitching in it? I'd really like to see.=)

I am currently stitching on my LO, had to give my poor hands a break, so therefore thought i'd pop my head in!

Back to stitching!

rockmom
Governor
rockmom
In response to Karen.W

• Karen.W Said:
Hmmmm I have a question...I use just regular thread. I've heard about this floss stuff you guys use but always forget to buy it being I have every color of the rainbow thread lol. Is there a big difference between the 2?

Does anyone in this forum have an LO in their gallery that has floss stitching in it? I'd really like to see.=)

I am currently stitching on my LO, had to give my poor hands a break, so therefore thought i'd pop my head in!

Back to stitching!

no title By Rockmom

This was done using all 6 strands of DMC floss.

Pacifiers Galore By Rockmom

Six strands on this one too. Haven't put any with fewer strands in my gallery yet.

Edited by rockmom on 10-13-09 08:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Karen.W
Diva
Karen.W
In response to rockmom

Thank you for attaching your LOs=)
I guess only diff is that the floss looks thicker and more prominent. Regular thread is more subtle.

P.S. I was going thru your gallery and noticed you have the M.S. Doily lace punch...I LOVE that thing!

katiemylady
Diva
katiemylady
In response to Karen.W

I love to stitch. A lot of the time I do a corset-type pattern, and others I just trace a shape from paper and stitch along the lines.

I use a type of yarn that's really thin...I don't know what brand it is or what it's even called...it's with all the other yarn at Wal-Mart, and that's about all I know I do use regular yarn occasionally, though. The red thread in my photos is regular yarn.

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/431411/view /2406165/...

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/431411/view /2391083/...

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/431411/view /2379605/...

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/431411/view /2360683/...

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/431411/view /2340859/...

I have several others not in my gallery. Embrace the stitching, it's cheap and adds a really cool effect to the page. Great topic

shelwriter
Veteran
shelwriter
In response to katiemylady

Ok - I love these stiching LO's!!

I actually have some floss from my cross-stitching days that I'm gonna have to pull out now.

Thank you so much for showing these LOs!

lstory 
Mayor

Here's a couple I've done. The flourish is from an In Stitchz template.

Friends By Lstory

So Typical By Lstory

Lisa
Products Referenced in This Post:

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo
In response to lstory

Thanks guys! I will have to let you know how it turns out after I get some done!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics