Username Post: doodling templates        (Topic#1518495)
angie girl
Diva
angie girl

I have two templates/stencils from The Crafter's Workshop for doodling/inking/whatever. Every ink, paint, marker, etc that I've used with them have "bled" under the stencil. Any tips for working with these templates??? Even my Signo bled! I'm so bummed!

mrsmiller
Governor
mrsmiller
In response to angie girl

How about using as a template for stitching?

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to mrsmiller

That's a great idea, I'll probably do that at some point. I've seen lo's in the gallery where they used ink or paint, and even the video uses sharpie markers. I tried all of those, but they bled. I'm looking for suggestions on how people got theirs to not bleed. Meanwhile, I'll keep trying here at home.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps

I have 7 or 8 of them. you could try a sharpie, those usually don't bleed. also, try staying within the middle of the template instead of going right up to the edges. or, trace it lightly with a pencil, then go over it with the pen or paint. hth!

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Tina scraps

It does help, Tina. I tried a sharpie and that bled also. I'm ready to throw these things in the trash. I'm pretty irritated with them. The templates are supposed to speed up the process (like with paint we should be able to use it like a stencil) not slow it down! Grr. Even in the video, they showed an example with paint...and they daubed through it like a stencil (you can see the paint on the edges of the one they peeled off of the example) which is what I did, but it bled. I wonder if there's a thicker paint out there that would be better than regular ol' acrylic?

angie girl
Diva
angie girl

Are you supposed to stick them down somehow, so they stay put while using them?

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps

I'll have to check out the videos. have you tried contacting them and asking advice?

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Tina scraps

I have used Stampin' up markers and haven't found that they bleed. I haven't used paint with them, that would be cool if it worked!

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I think you need to work fast with any medium and the templates while holding them lightly down. That might be a key element in getting no bleed through, also the amount of pressure applied by you with the ink/paint brush etc should be fairly light. And last, practice. HTH

lstory 
Mayor
In response to sweet1

One template I have suggests tacking it down with removable adhesive.

Lisa

kariyava
Pro
kariyava

I just got the same doodling templates! I have not used them with pen/marker yet, but I have used them with distress inks and have had great results. I used the Tim Holtz blending tool and stamped the ink over the stencil.

Oratory (1)
By Kariyava

Oratory (2)
By Kariyava

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to kariyava

• kariyava Said:
I just got the same doodling templates! I have not used them with pen/marker yet, but I have used them with distress inks and have had great results. I used the Tim Holtz blending tool and stamped the ink over the stencil.

Oratory (1)
By Kariyava

Oratory (2)
By Kariyava

Ok, maybe I won't throw them away, then! They do make for good distressed images the way that you did that! On this particular lo though, I wanted a solid perfect image, which I could not achieve. I quit trying and did something else with the area. Thanks, I'm going to have to remember to use them the way you did, your examples are gorgeous!

sweet_b
Veteran
sweet_b

i just got the funky swirl doodle template and found the same thing with all of my markers, but i did have luck dry brushing over them.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to sweet_b

• sweet_b Said:
i just got the funky swirl doodle template and found the same thing with all of my markers, but i did have luck dry brushing over them.

Did you use temporary adhesive to stick it down, or did you just dry brush? Did you use any specific brand of paint?

mad faye
Expert
mad faye

I haven't had problems with them hmmm. They are thin templates though so they really need to be flush. Sometimes the paper you are using makes a difference as well.
Try maybe...

1) sticking them down with repositionable adhesive
2) holding tight around the area you are working on with your hand
3) using a pencil to trace and then using pen over the design (I almost always do this anyway so I don't mess up).
4) don't go around too slowly, the longer you take the more likely it will bleed.

Good luck!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to mad faye

I have used texture paint with good results. It's thick, so it doesn't bleed. I used it on this card. I wasn't very careful in applying the paint because I wanted kind of a shabby chic look to it though. If you're careful, it looks cleaner.

*SNA J/A 09* Precious Little One
By Here Kitty

On this LO, the journal part was done with a CW template, I just sponged distress ink over it.

Tooth of the Matter
By Here Kitty

On this last layout, the scallops and the scalloped journal frame are from a CW template. I used black pigment ink (I heat set it) and a Signo pen for the white.

Trooper
By Here Kitty

Edited by Here Kitty on 11-08-09 08:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics