Username Post: Question on Brands Being Acid-Free/Archival-Quality        (Topic#1520591)
Mashkurable
Tenant
Mashkurable

Just a quick question: I bought some K&Company alphabet and baby embellishment stickers
(one even has LED lights!!!), Miss Elizabeth's Scrapbooking stickers and rub-ons, and a Martha Stewart Crafts scrapbooking album. I know these brands produce photo-safe, acid/lignin-free, and archival quality items, however the ones I purchased do not say photo-safe, acid or lignin-free, or archival quality. Does this mean that they are not safe to use since those terms aren't posted? Any suggestions on how to adhere them without spreading the acid/lignin/or whatever is on them to other items? Should I just spray the front and back of all the stickers and rub-ons? Thanks!

Edited by Mashkurable on 11-16-09 07:28 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Mashkurable

I am by no means an expert on the subject of acid/lignin-free/archival quality but I would like to add a few comments and I am very interested to see what others write.

First off I think it is very good that you are concerned about this. I used to "poo-poo" the whole idea of using good quality papers and ink. (Notice I said "good quality" I wasn't even shooting for archival.) Everything and anything was fair game to be glued onto one of my pages. Well it didn't take long (about 2 years) for things to start staining, seeping, discoloring, fading, falling off, etc.

Now I pay alot more attention to the things I use when scrapbooking, especially things that come in contact with photos, BUT if you are printing photos yourself they may not be as... for lack of a better word, as "strong" as you think. My home printed photos are not waterproof, scratch very easily and will fade in direct sunlight. So this begs the question "which are we really trying to protect from being contaminated?".

BEST
I think if you always use brand name scrapbooking materials you will be about 90% safe. Pages will hold up for a couple dozen years and chemicals will not be jumping around and wrecking havic.

next Best
If you do add other materials, test them first (with PH pen tester), spray with Kylon acid free, and try to isolate them on the page.

WORSE
STAY away from ALL newspaper, construction paper, corrugate paper, cardboard that came in contact with food, inexpensive printed items (like napkins), etc. Scan or photograph these items and use a printout of the item on your page.

PS, and I am sorry to be bringing this up, but I have found BUGS! in my protective sleeves. Paper items can be carriers for bug larva.
I love memorablia but I do examine it very closely and if I do decide to use it on a page I give it a quick spray with Krylon acid-free stuff.

Products Referenced in This Post:

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Gelidy Gelato

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
PS, and I am sorry to be bringing this up, but I have found BUGS! in my protectivie sleeves. Paper items can be carriers for bug larva. I love memorablia but I do examine it closely and give it a quick spray with Krylon acid-free stuff.

Ewwwww! Really!!!! That sucks!!!

I would agree that with those particular brands you are safe as they are manufactured specifically for scrapbookers. But the stuff from the dollar store for instance you have to be careful and make a decision for yourself if it's worth using if it's not archival quality!

Mashkurable
Tenant
Mashkurable
In response to Scrapbook Queen

Scrapbook Queen, thank you so much for the warnings. Yeah, I got the Miss Elizabeth's from the Dollar Store, but since it said scrapbooking, I assumed it would be okay...especially since the regular paper said acid and lignin free. I guess I'll use the paper and spray Krylon Make-It-Acid-Free spray on the stickers...

Mashkurable
Tenant
Mashkurable
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Gelidy, thank you so much for all the hints and tips!! Very helpful! I wouldn't have cared except that I haven't started scrapbooking yet, just started hoarding a whole bunch of stuff :P, and I just read the scrapbook.com e-book on beginner hints and tips and the stuff about not using the acid-free and archival-quality items scared me. The whole reason I want to do this anyway is to preserve memories, not fade them away!!! LOL!

And yuck, I hate bugs, so that's a super good tip because as an art teacher, my natural instinct is to collage all papers and items I can get my hands on. I'll make sure I keep the newspaper, construction paper, wrapping paper and the like away from my scrapbook album and supplies now...I like the idea of scanning them in instead! But then the question becomes...what kind of ink and paper should I use? I know they have archival quality ink, but who sales archival quality printable paper?!! And it's an economic depression...

Also, do you know where I can get a pH tester pen or the Krylon Acid-Free spray? I haven't been able to find either on scrapbook.com as of yet...

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Mashkurable

I posted an answer to this where you posted in beginning scrapbooking.

Mashkurable
Tenant
Mashkurable
In response to Bxr-Linda

Thanks!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics