Username Post: Inking and Chalking ~ how to?        (Topic#1520733)
pink.camo
Tenant
pink.camo

I've searched the forums... and the net in search of how to ink and how to chalk. Although, I think that I understand the various methods, I am questioning which type of ink and chalk are used?

Thanks in advance!

lifeinthefastlane
Diva
lifeinthefastlane
In response to pink.camo

Any kind will work really.

Chalk I usually use Pebbles, but I also have some cheapies from Price Busters (our version of Big Lots) They are acid free though

Ink pads, I looooooove Tim Holtz distress inks and Nick Bantock. I use those the most. I like Colorbox but those stacks are a to keep together. I use Staz On too, but usually just for stamping.
Products Referenced in This Post:

pink.camo
Tenant
pink.camo
In response to lifeinthefastlane

Thanks so much for replying and giving all the links!

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to pink.camo

Depends on your use. For edges and general grunging (if that's a word...), anything will do. If you have a real purpose, it would matter what look you're after or material it's one.

Heat embossing-pigment
Quick drying- dye
slick media- Sta-zon

Recommendation: The Perfect Printing Pouch for crisper, faster drying even with Stazon and anti-static for embossing. Stops bleeding when stamping on wood and fabric, too!

Richelle
Angel
Richelle
In response to scraperfect

I am all about tim holtz! LOVE his stuff!
I always gets comments about my inking.
I apply it with a makeup sponge. Works great!

KCScrapDiva
Expert
KCScrapDiva
In response to Richelle

• Richelle Said:
I am all about tim holtz! LOVE his stuff!
I always gets comments about my inking.
I apply it with a makeup sponge. Works great!

Sifting through the tips forum and saw this post. What a great idea!! I have the alcohol ink applicator, but I don't have the foam, just felt. Makeup sponge sounds like a great idea and probably cheaper than foam refills.

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 01-19-10 09:18 AM
In response to KCScrapDiva

I love the line of Distress inks & Adinrondack inks. They are both made by Ranger.
I too use make up wedges to ink all my edges. They are reusuable & inexpensive!

Edited by Foamy on 01-19-10 09:19 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to Foamy

I use the foam make up sponges too, especially for inking the edges. I pinch them into a rounded shape and clip them with a little mini-binder clip to use as a handle. I find the ink blending tool with the sponge pads really is worth it for distressing the surface of a page though. It makes a much more subtle, less streaky look with less effort, and the sponge pads don't crumble as much as the make-up sponges do.

I also find a slight difference in the colour of distress inks when using the make-up sponges. Walnut Stain, for example, looks green when applied with make up sponges and brown when applied with the blending tool sponge pads. I mentioned this to the owner of my lss and she said lots of people find differences in colour with the makeup sponges. I still use them because they are so much cheaper. I reserve my blending tool for "special" jobs.

Edited by mercytiara on 01-20-10 04:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics