Username Post: What's the deal with double-sided paper?        (Topic#1520791)
Mashkurable
Tenant
Mashkurable

Forgive my ignorance--but what is the purpose of double-sided patterned paper? Is it to choose between the two sides? Can someone please give me some tips, hints, ideas on how to use double-sided paper? Thanks!

Veteran
In response to Mashkurable

I am new, but I think it is to add variety and dimension to your page. Also, I usually buy 2 or 3 sheets if it's double sided so I can cut it up and use it to coordinate. Does that make sense?

Tenant
In response to drpayne

It's also particularly useful when you make little gift boxes (beautiful on the inside as well as on the outside), mini-albums, tags and lots of other projects. A time-saver especially when you're making multiples of the projects.

Mashkurable
Tenant
Mashkurable
In response to drpayne

Yes, I think so...thank you for replying drpayne. I just see these big packs of double-sided paper for like $20 and am thinking that I'd rather have them all as single sheets, but what do I know? I'm new to scrapbooking too!!!

drspenc
New Kid On the Block
drspenc
In response to Schokoküsse

Personally I don't care for double sided paper. I have a hard time choosing which one to use because they are ususally to good patterns.

Mashkurable
Tenant
Mashkurable
In response to drspenc

Yeah, that's my problem too..I don't want to pick between one or the other side. I want to use both sides! SUBSTANTIALLY!!! But not pay $40 or even $20!!!

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 11-18-09 12:38 PM

I love double sided paper! I very RARELY use a full sheet of patterned paper (pp). Double sided gives you lots of options for 1 sheet. You can mix it on one lo. Use one side on 1 layout and the other on another, etc. The possibilities are endless.

lifeinthefastlane
Diva
lifeinthefastlane
In response to CASBa

Most scrappers wont use the full sheet on one layout. You can cut bits and pieces of it for a LO, and use both sides. All 2 sided paper is coordinated.

The stacks that are double sided, usually there are 2 or 3 sheets of the same pattern (like Martha's papers) so even if you do use a full sheet, you still have extras of that pattern

I had 1 piece of paper that I bought almost 2 years ago and so far have made like 5 LOs with it

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to lifeinthefastlane

I loveeeeeeeeeeee double sided paper!!!!! I hate buying single sided paper

I do alot of paper crafting where you end up seeing BOTH sides of the paper,,,,,cs albums with inside pockets, exploding boxes, ornaments, etc,,,,,

and double sided paper is PERFECT for those projects

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to CommaHolly

I'm going crazy right now over which side I want to use, lol!

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur

double sided paper is great for folding- like flower petals. Stampin-up has a "project" where you cut 4 or 5 scalloped circles then fold and adhere in a fan shape to make a cute turkey tail.

I recently did a page where I folded down a top corner and put a brad on to hold it down. I adhered another coordinating piece behind the fold to complete the corner. It just adds to the texture look of the page.

You can cut the top of a circle/square to a heart shape, then fold in the bottom sides to a V shape, (accordian fold if you want.) this makes a heart frame to put a picture in on a page. Looks good with double sided paper.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to wilbur

These all sound so cute, can post a pic or link so we can see what these all look like?

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to RockStar

sorry, i don't know how to post pictures. i don't have a scanner hooked up.

mad faye
Expert
mad faye
In response to wilbur

I go back and forth on double sided paper. Its good because:

1) if I am not using a full sheet I can use the other side and it co-ordinates, yay!
2) acrylic albums, cards, paper rolling/tearing, folded items, certain projects previously mentioned ... all work great with double sided papers.

I don't like them because:

1) Sometimes I hate choosing which side I want to use...I often use a full sheet of PP or 3/4 of a sheet for a background and build up layers on that. And if I LOVE both sides of a piece in the store I feel like I should buy 2 pieces!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to mad faye

If they were single sided and you loved them both, wouldnt you buy two pieces anyway, Megan?

I fail to see the problem,,,,,,

mad faye
Expert
mad faye

Hehehe, yes Comma Holly, but usually double sided paper is more expensive per sheet than single sided.

Somehow I feel guilty using just one side of a beautifully double sided piece. I know I am weird.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to lifeinthefastlane

Speaking of Martha's stuff, I just got a beautiful set for under 20 that I used to do a background of blue/green buttons behind pics of my girls in matching green sweaters with a blue flower attached. I then took some of my green frames and put them around the pics and used another pic of my girls cut in the shape of a heart for an embellishment. I love the two sided papers because it adds so much to your book! mine wasn't the holiday one that is below, but this is a comprable item.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to mad faye

• mad faye Said:
Hehehe, yes Comma Holly, but usually double sided paper is more expensive per sheet than single sided.

Somehow I feel guilty using just one side of a beautifully double sided piece. I know I am weird.

do you think?? I just spent 1.69 on SINGLE sided paper yesterday,,,,I've spent far less on double sided paper before,,,

and K and co is my FAVORITE double sided paper,,,,,usually VERY reasonably priced, IMHO,,,

I just bought an entire pack of Xmas paper double sided for my Christian friends holiday gifts,,,14.00 for the entire 36 sheet pack,,,,,much cheaper than the MME single sided paper I bought,,,,,,28 pages,,,,

I dunno,,,,,,I think it just depends on what you're looking for,,,,by the piece perhaps,,,,though not always,,,,,I often find double sided paper LESS THAN single sided sheets,,,,

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Oh, and a friend just got me Hanukkah paper at archivers,,,,,,double sided 6 pieces for 2 bucks,,,,,and the other paper was double sided 88 cents,,,,,,,,still far less than the 1.69 that I spent on single sided paper from Ancestry.com yesterday.

abagail
Tenant
abagail

double sided paper can be used as two pages, some times I scrap on both sides, when you turn the page there's the back side that you scraped. also i cute my pages and combind them to make a page look totaly differnt.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics