Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Making your own Christmas tree ornaments?        (Topic#1521079)
byondbzr
Queen
byondbzr

Does anyone else do this? I do it every year, but have dealt with comments from people asking why I bother to do it. It's the same with making Christmas cards. They aren't crafty folks, but you know, they did sow the seed of doubt. I do it because I like the thought that someday, when my kids have grown up and left to start their own lives, I'll be able to cover an entire tree with picture ornaments of them. Every year I'll get to see them grow up all over again! I just made one I love, thought I might share it with other crafty people who will understand it better.

Joy ornament
By Byondbzr

JHAWKEYE
Mayor
JHAWKEYE
In response to byondbzr

I have watched you over the years make the most beautiful things...do NOT let the Doubting Debbie's get to you. Let them have their cookie cutter tree and decorations.

Wasn't it you that made the garland from the Bazzill chips a year or so ago?? I will always remember how gorgeous that was!!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to JHAWKEYE

Rebecca, I think it is awesome that you do that! I don't alter stuff, but I def understand the want to make more personal items for your decor! You tell em, well, I have the desire and the talent to make them, so I make them!

ang_geo
Resident
ang_geo
In response to byondbzr

oh my gosh that is such a good idea, im gonna borrow it

MiriamK
Diva
MiriamK
In response to ang_geo

You have to just remind yourself who your making it for? yourself or them? As long as your making for yourself and your happy DO IT! If your making it for someone else and they are not happy then you have to think about that.. boo to the meanies!

MiriamK
Diva
MiriamK
In response to MiriamK

And it is funny you can go into an upscale boutique and find something like that but not as nice and with a tiny sticker tag made in who knows where... your is WAY BETTER, MADE WELL, and with LOVE!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Manda_K

Well, I say power to ya!

Isn't expressing your own creativity, style & sentiment what crafting is all about!

They are your creations & your special-made memories!

Every other location we live, we have always celebrated the tradition of handmade Christmas crafts.

This year since all our holiday ornaments & decor is in storage back in the states...you can guarantee that I am making my own ornaments!

I've since already finished my cards!

Sidenote: You just might be surprised as to how many other scrapbookers & designers for that matter, make all their own decorations! (in fact, some are creating every other month!)...just check the Gallery, various blogs & or the net!
Products Referenced in This Post:

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to KellyCali

I only have about 12 or so ornaments on my tree that weren't hand made by me or my kids. My family loves that. Other people come and look at the tree and the decorations around the house (also hand made) and they say "huh, these are different". If they like them good for me, if they don't so what! I don't decorate for them... just the family. So YES it's worth it!

byondbzr
Queen
byondbzr
In response to sweet1

YES, see, I need to hear from people that "get" what it's all about! I do it for me, for my kiddos, NOT anyone else!!! I love to do it, and I am happy to say that in just THREE short years, I am already well on the way with homemade decor for my tree!

And Miriam, thank you SO much for the sweet compliments! You've made me glow!

SO, ladies, do ya have any links to share of ornaments from your galleries? Or have any cool ideas? Would love to hear about/see them! I REALLY want to make a tree-topper, probably a star, and put photos all over it! I am thinking of using a small set of battery operated mini lights to make it really pretty.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to sweet1

My MIL's tree is all handmade. While I don't have any memories attached to the ornaments, her kids sure do. Everyone goes down memory lane while looking at their favorites. My tree is all color coordinated gold, maroon, glass, and pearl. To each their own. (I must also mention I worked in a Christmas store 13 years ago for fun. I now have 6 themed trees.)

MiriamK
Diva
MiriamK
In response to 950nancy

I do the themed tree too, or I used to do it more... All gold! It was so pretty! My kids thought i was weird because of my ribbon on it.... Now I do Gold and Red and some others... I am not sure what I will do this year!

JustLori
Mayor
JustLori
In response to MiriamK

Rebecca, this is my first year for making my ornaments. I went the simple route....clear glass ornaments, filled with rolled paper or glittery tinsel, topped off with a bow. But next year I want to get an early start and really let the creative juices flow. Forget about the ones who "don't get it". We (you) are creating MEMORIES that your children and grandchildren will treasure for years and years!!!

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to JustLori

I have never made ornaments for my tree, but I love the few my daughter has made in school. We have mouse and bear ornaments mostly on our tree. I collect mice and the bears are my daughters. I have also started adding Campbell soup ornaments to the collection.

The simple answer to why I do the crafts I do: I enjoy it. No other explanation should be necessary. No one else is asked to justify their hobby. Why do you golf? Why do you knit? Why do you woodwork? Why do you garden? I hope everyone's answer is because I enjoy it.

My mom told me my brother asked her this week why I make scrapbooks while he was looking at the one I had made for her and her answer was because she enjoys it.

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi
In response to NMlady

I haven't made my own ornaments yet, but am going to attempt some this year. I love the idea of having home made ornaments with pics, and being able to see family, & your children, especially those who are not with us on Christmas.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to SQ Mandi

i made a few ornatments last year. i gave some to family last year and they love it

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to southern lady

My favorite Menorah (candleabra for Hanukkah) is handmade by my grandson.

Some of the most precious ornaments that hang on our family Christmas tree are hand made. We made ornaments last year from metal cookie cutters,,,,,spray painted them and tied ribbons to them,,,,,simple, fast, old fashioned looking and very country,,,,(JHawkeye you made me laugh with your "cookie cutter tree", lol, I have a cookie cutter tree, but I made it myself!!!)

Hallmark had crystals with ribbons on them selling for pricy amounts this year, and it struck me that I could buy crystals at J's 3 for 1.50 and stick ribbons on them myself,,,,(although Hallmark had several sizes for sale and I can only find the small ones at J's, still, the bigger ones are simply too large and heavy IMHO anyway,,,)

sandra03
Resident
sandra03
In response to KellyCali

i make those martha stewart balls every year for gifts, they're easy to make and a great way to recycle christmas cards. when i have my own place again and get my own tree i think i want to decorate entirely in homemade paper ornaments. why not, it's cheap, it's fun, it looks awesome, and if one breaks no big deal just make another one.

New Kid On the Block
In response to sandra03

If I took notice of what other people said, I'm sure I'd never do anything!

When I started a photography course, my mother said "Why? Are you planning on starting up a business?" and I got a similar comment from my aunt. When I went to a recent crop night my mother said "I couldn't think of anything worse". And when I told a friend last week that I was thinking of doing Project Life next year, she said "Why on earth would you want to to do that, it sounds like too much hard work". Such great encouragement. At least my husband supports my ventures.

lifeinthefastlane
Diva
lifeinthefastlane
In response to JHAWKEYE

• JHAWKEYE Said:
I have watched you over the years make the most beautiful things...do NOT let the Doubting Debbie's get to you. Let them have their cookie cutter tree and decorations.

Wasn't it you that made the garland from the Bazzill chips a year or so ago?? I will always remember how gorgeous that was!!

Ohhhhh I remember that garland...... just beautiful

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to lifeinthefastlane

That ornament is just adorable! And it is those special ornaments made with love that your children will cherish in years to come. So don't listen to them...be creative and enjoy what you do.
I hate to admit this...I make ornaments to sell at Craft Fairs every year...but buy my kids Hallmark...so you made me realize that it is the ones made from the heart that they will cherish!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics