Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Xmas ideas for my wife        (Topic#1521525)
New Kid On the Block

Since I have no idea, wondering if you all good give me some pointers. My wife loves to scrapbook. She hasn't got a lot of things for it though. What is something that is almost a must have thing( i.e. embrossing machine, etc.)

Remember, I don't know what any of this stuff is. So, if you give me a suggestion, please tell me what it does too.

Thanks!!!!

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew
In response to lcplesping

A Cricut Expression or the smaller version Cricut Personal! You buy cartridges for this machine so she can cut shapes and letters to use on her pages. There are tons on sale at this time (both cartridges and machines)

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew
In response to gg loves Matthew

There is also something smaller kinda same idea called the Slice (it just cuts smaller items I think up to 4.5 or 5 inches in size) and you buy cartridges for it as well
Products Referenced in This Post:

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew

Then there are embossing machines that emboss designs on paper....you need to buy embossing plates for these machines and you can also use dies for cutting shapes and letters with either

New Kid On the Block

Is the Slice design kit easy to use? I just want to get a good, easy to use, and fun thing for her to use.

Edited by lcplesping on 11-28-09 11:15 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419

the cricut by far is the machine to get. my hubby got it for me and my 6 year old can work it. that's how easy it is and i love the end product. also, get her a 12 or 24 inch paper cutter. i only have a 6 inch, so it makes cutting my paper a little harder, but it would be nice...

doxymommy
Veteran
doxymommy
In response to flutterbye0419

I have a cricut personal cutter for sale that comes with its owm cartridge and one extra if you are interested. Just PM me and I will give you the details.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to doxymommy

cricut would be a great idea! I'd make sure you get an extra mat or two to go with it.

the cricut uses cartridges. so if you literally just bought the machine, not a "bundle" from the store, she wouldn't be able to do much with it. so be sure to get a bundle, or at least a basic font and shape cartridge.

or you could have her buy "sure cuts alot" also called "scal" from the web. it would let her turn just about any font or shape she found on the web or her computer into a diecut.

Edited by Tina scraps on 11-29-09 05:38 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 11-29-09 05:48 AM
In response to doxymommy

Punches are hugely popular and inexpensive. They make great stocking stuffers or you could get her several and wrap them together in a fun basket or in a wrapped sturdy box.

This website has a great selections of punches or you can buy them at a local craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby or AC Moore.

Some of the punches I like are listed below. The border punches are especially popular. The most commonly used border punch might be the "threading water" one. You use those to punch a decorative border as illustrated in these layouts below.

This layout uses the Martha Stewart double scallop punch (it created a wavy look with the blue paper).

4 Months
By IzzyB

I used the apron lace border punch on this layout. It's the blue strip above the photo. It's upside down and sort of looks like an awning here. I also used a square punch to punch out all the squares of patterned paper you see here.

Close To You
By IzzyB

I also used the Apron Lace border punch here (on all sides of the brown paper) and I also used the Threading Water punch (the three layers of patterned paper under the photo).

Sweet Dreams (are made of this)
By IzzyB

I also LOVE circle punches. They are so useful and almost every layout I make has a circle on it somewhere. I used circle punches to punch out all the circles you see here: the circle in the middle of the sun, the circle in the tree, the circles below the photo and the circles under the fish.

Isle of Palms
By IzzyB

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 11-29-09 05:54 AM
In response to Tina scraps

How much are you planning to spend? I am a Silhouette fan myself, I found it much easier to use than the Cricut. It works with the computer and has so many diecut designs you can download and it cuts every true font you have on your computer.

The Slice - is an AWESOME new machine, I have it too. If your wife doesn't have a lot of room for scrapping this is a great tool. I can also direct to a place that currently has it on sale for $100 and FREE shpping. And they cartridges for it are always at least 20% off.

And of course there are also things like the ATG Adhesive Gun, Cardstock a girl can never have too much of that. Look at her pages and pay attention to what she seems to use a lot of. Flowers, stickers, does she even use diecuts?

ekip2
ekip2 
Expert
ekip2
  • ekip2 on 11-29-09 06:09 AM
In response to KimKV

My first question is whats the budget!

then I have lots of ideas from there LOL

What a nice hubby you are!!

I vote for

1. the cricut, (an electronic die clutter)
2.the big shot/big kick (a manual die cutter and embosser)
3. stamps and ink
4. punches
5. gift certificate to here so she can get wht she wants or ask her to fill out the wish list here

Andrea

anthonysgirl
Governor
anthonysgirl
In response to ekip2

the cricut is great, but i have and LOVE the silhouette. it is a die cutting machine that hooks up to your computer. you NEVER buy a cartrige. any font on your computer will work with the silhouette. also, it comes with a ton of images to use plus you can buy them online for 1.99. you can also find free ones online. i would highly recommend this!

other things would be fun embellishments/products:
prima flowers, buttons, rub-ons, stickers, clear stamps/clear stamp blocks, border punches, etc

i would also say maybe a kit or coordinating products. i love the brand basic grey. they have collection and then they have the brads, stickers, clear stamps and all kinds of other good stuff to match.

jenyjen3
Expert
jenyjen3
In response to anthonysgirl

First of all you are an awesome husband! Second...if she doesn't have a lot of stuff...I think that maybe you should just get her the basics. A paper cutter that cuts 12x12. Maybe a few stacks of paper. Glue!!!! Maybe a subscribtion to a scrapbook magazines so she can find some inspiration. Punches are always a great gift. You should also think about a grea set of markers. These are just a couple of things that I use on a daily basis.

Abby0317
Mayor
Abby0317
In response to jenyjen3

What a guy to come here to ask a bunch of ladies addicted to scrapping what to buy his wife! Smart move...
There are so many products & tools that it would have to depend on your budget. Every lady has her own opinions on die cut machines (I have Silhouette too) and depending on budget this might not be for you.
I would also look at the layouts on the front (home) page and see what strikes you, click on one, and usually there's a list of products used. Glue, papers, punches, flowers, bling are all at the top of any scrappers wish list. One thing to do is go to the homepage, click on the Superstore tab and type a search or click on the top 50 bestsellers on the left column. There is just so much out there!!!!!
Here are some ideas that I would love:
Bo Bunny: Snowy Serenade Paper Collection--

Bo Bunny Press - Snowy Serenade Collection - 12 x 12 Glittered Paper - Snowy Serenade, BRAND NEW
url=http://store.scrapbook.com/bo-12s068.html][/url] Bo Bunny Press - Snowy Serenade Collection - 12 x 12 Glittered Paper - Snowy Serenade Serenity, BRAND NEW

Advantus - All My Memories - Tote-Ally Cool Tote 4 - Wild Berry and Black
Prima - Say It In Pearls Collection - Self Adhesive Jewel Art - Bling - Swirl 2 - Black
url=http://store.scrapbook.com/cf-tcw138.html][/url] The Crafter's Workshop - 12 x 12 Doodling Templates - Orchid
Prima - Wildwood Collection - Wood and Mulberry Flowers - Mushroom

SuzyM
SuzyM 
Resident
SuzyM
  • SuzyM on 11-29-09 08:10 AM

If she doesn't have much I would start with the basics

Cutter Bee Scissors
Cutter Bee Tweezers
Fiscars paper cutter
Zots (multiple sizes)
Xyron (shaped like an "X") for ribbons
Glue
Pens
Buttons
Brads
Small Hole Punch
Ribbons
Assorted Paper
Photo corner adhesives

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty
In response to SuzyM

Another idea is a gift certificate to the super store here at scrapbook.com! Then she'd get to shop the store and select other scrap items as well...paper, punches, journaling pens and markers, brads, adhesive, tools, storage items for all the fun stuff she is going to get!!
What a great husband you are!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Scrapkaty

I'm going to go by what suggestions you guys all have, and then get her a subscription to some scrapbook magazine. Is there a certain magazine out there thats better than the next?

By the way thanks to all for the suggestions so far!!!

Edited by lcplesping on 11-29-09 11:40 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MrsSugarBear
Guru
MrsSugarBear

Scrapbooks Etc. is a popular one.

If you go to www.PublicationStation.net you can get a years subscription for only $8. That's a great price. It's usually about $20 thru the magazines website. A bunch of us ladies either started or renewed our subscriptions with them this fall.

MiriamK
Diva
MiriamK
In response to MrsSugarBear

Can I just say stay away from Boxed kits and cheap-o 5,000 piece scrapbook kits... Those are not good ideas!!

Ask someone at a scrapbook store to help you too! Maybe you can get her some matching papers and stickers and brads and stuff to match a vacation you went on or something?

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to MiriamK

I would vote for the Cricut. A bundle kit would be best. You can find them really cheap on the web if you search around.

Also, Making Memories paper trimmer. I absolutely LOVE mine! As for a magazine subscription, I get both Creating Keepsakes and Scrapbooks, Ect. I 100% recommend Scrapbooks Ect. It is a great one to get.

A cuttlebug is a great embossing machine. It fits all the dies out there just about!

Provo Craft - Cuttlebug Machine - Die Cutter and Embosser

Making Memories - 12x12 Paper Trimmer

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics