Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Plain Old Fashioned Scrapbooks?        (Topic#1521567)
edoolittle76
New Kid On the Block
edoolittle76

Hi Ladies!

Do you remember the old scrapbooks our great grandmas used? Just the plain books with the brown paper pages that she would just glue her scraps onto? Bound with a piece of thick string that could be loosened for width?

Walmart used to carry these, but for years now I can't seem to find them anywhere, what with the new scrapbooking techniques, we're all using the new style albums.

Anyone know where I can find these? I've googled it for hours and am coming up empty!

Thanks so much!

Happy Scrapping,

Brandi

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to edoolittle76

I've seen these at my M's. They are not exactly the same, but they are pretty close replicas.

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to Luvmyfam

hmmm ... when I first started scrapping, I made 4 of these ... took me FOREVER b/c there was like 100 pages in each on and I did 4 of the same.

I'll go and dig it out and find the name of it - at least that way maybe you can e-bay the company name ...

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 11-29-09 10:30 AM
In response to peenut_23

That was my first ever scrapbook back in high school!!

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to KimKV

Mine too Kim!

So I found it but no name anywhere in it!!!!

My dh is having quite the chuckle looking through it though

GrandmaG
Mayor
GrandmaG
In response to peenut_23

LOL! My first scrapbooks were those kind, It's a shame the receipts have faded away I would love to compare prices.

I saw those a couple of weeks ago at the Dollar General Store in Columbus. You might can check there. I wish you luck finding them.

edoolittle76
New Kid On the Block
edoolittle76
In response to GrandmaG

Thanks Girls.

I do have one, and mine also has no company name anywhere on it! I will check the dollar store.

I think I only paid like $5 for it...wish I would have stocked up. Because I have a ton of stuff that I don't want to "fancy scrap" but would like to at least put into a book....like Gramma did...:)

Thanks again, for looking! I really appreciate you all so much. :)))

PS: I'll let you know if I do find them again.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho

I used to use them too. Mine were Canson. The ones I used are spiral bound though and a ribbon to tie it closed. Good thick pages in black or brown. Lol, I wanted mine like Gramma's too The last time I went to buy one, I had a hard time. Found them at an art store.

Edited by Amesl on 11-29-09 12:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C
In response to AmyWho

I used to do that kind of scrapbook too. And I used to clip newspapers articles and photos of friends and family and put in one too.

New Kid On the Block

Hi Brandi,

I googled "String-bound scrapbook" and came up with a few sites that sold an album, including http://www.amazon.com/Company-Ancestry-Inch -String-Boun...

It is much more expensive ($25.42) than the $5 albums I used to be able to get at Walmart, but it is something...

Lori

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to passingthrough

I have a "scrapbook" that my grandmother made for me when I was born. It has torn muslin pages that she soaked in flour/water "glue" to stiffen them, and everything is glued onto the pages with the same mixture. Can you believe it's still like new after 60+ years! It never ceases to amaze me.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to dwelch

I have one that was purchased a few years ago.

Check a photo/framing store. Maybe Archivers or Aaron brothers.

Tenant
In response to dwelch

D Welch...I know she would be proud that you still have it. It is called working with what you have and aren't you proud of it. She did her best.

Edited by country lady on 11-30-09 02:02 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

New Kid On the Block

http://www.pfile.com/product/k-sj-100/Jumb o-and-Traditi...

Diva
In response to cyclist13

I still ahve the ones that I made when I was in high school. I seen them at Michaels and HL but most of the time in the kids craft section.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to bayamonesa1

i had two of these in the 60's One was a Beatles theme and he other was not. i still have the Beatles one but the other one has dissappeared. i had some cool stuff in that one.
i kind of miss that type of scrapbook

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.

• edoolittle76 Said:
Hi Ladies!

Do you remember the old scrapbooks our great grandmas used? Just the plain books with the brown paper pages that she would just glue her scraps onto? Bound with a piece of thick string that could be loosened for width?

Brandi

LOL! Sorry, I have to laugh at this - our great grandmas?? I used those kind of scrapbooks!

Sorry, can't help you with finding them. But I wanted to share that I recently found one that my father had made when he was a kid in 1948. It was full of magazine and newspaper clippings of actresses and sports articles. It also contained some clippings of his Boy Scout activities and some school stuff. It's a real treasure. All these years he never mentioned that he had a scrapbook (he passed away in October). When I found it I felt an immediate connection to him. I just love old scrapbooks like that, and have a few of my own from when I was a teenager!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Mary W.

I'm not a lady-

but I know what you're talking about the plain, old-style scrapbooks that my GrandFATHER used-

He gave a large sized empty one to me, when I was young- and that's how I started scrapping.

I wish I could get one of the ones that Mark Twain invented- the 'self-pasting scrapbook!'

-kory k

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to designguyKORY

I have one from my grandfathers service overseas in World War II. It has stood the test of time, but I eventually want to pull it apart & update the pages with better quality paper.

As far as seeming old/old-fashioned, in many ways, these types of books very much victorian & or something Laura from Little House in the Prairie would have growing up!

And yes, I mean that fondly!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Have you ever considered just making one yourself/from scratch? In the end, it might be both easier & less costly.

Just a thought!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics