Username Post: Swirls and Flourishes w/o special gear        (Topic#1521965)
GeminiHouseCat
New Kid On the Block
GeminiHouseCat

Is there anyway to create those beautiful swirls and flourishes without using special cutting equipment?

I love the look of those details but I don't have the money for a special cutting thing.

Jordannichole
Guru
Jordannichole
In response to GeminiHouseCat

There are two ways that I can think of right now.

The first is to buy some precut diecuts off of e-bay or some other place that they sell them.

The second is to buy some stamps... rubber or acrylic and use those. I do both of these and also have a Cricut Expression, which is something that might be worth checking out once you get into this hobby.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to Jordannichole

You can buy plastic templates and trace and cut out your own flourishes, too.

Lisa

iuplori
Guru
iuplori
In response to lstory

Get some acrylic paints and practice painting your own. It's really fun, and looks great too.

Dancing Queen
Idol
Dancing Queen
In response to iuplori

Good old fashioned scissors is all I can come up with

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to Dancing Queen

i used a swirly strip that was 12 inches long in blue, turned metallic blue paper to where the back was facing me, then traced it and cut out with scissors and when i turned it over, it was just what i wanted. I then placed the two intermingling along the bottom of the page to create waves for a fun in the sun page... that was before i got my cricut create which i am still learning how to use.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to flutterbye0419

Well...I find pictures of flourishes and bling at different sites on the net, then I click on the pic (like on a shopping website) and enlarge it, then right click and save to my PC. Then I print it out, I have a copier, so I enlarge it some. Then I use that as a template underneath transparencies to make my own bling...this would work for flourishes too! If you don't have a copier, and want them bigger, most libraries allow you to make copies for a small fee.

Edited by Scrap-a-Shop-a-Holic on 12-03-09 04:27 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

greenqueen
Diva
greenqueen
In response to StarsNSparkles

I do the same as above. I have cut out my own flourishes out of cereal boxes and painted over them. You can make them look really nice by sanding the edges (to make them lok more clean) and tehn paint with a few coats of acrylic paint., then add glitter or stickles to finish them off. Some of these look store bought.. good luck!

GeminiHouseCat
New Kid On the Block
GeminiHouseCat
In response to greenqueen

Thanks for the great advice everyone!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics