Username Post: question on expanding your book        (Topic#1522267)
New Kid On the Block

I'm new here, but I thought this would be a good place to get information. My son is putting together an elaborate scrapbook for his girlfriend as a xmas present. we traveled together over the summer to Disneyworld and he is chronicaling the trip. He purchased a nice scrapbook in Florida and expects to add pages. he already purchased refills but... he is limited to how many pages, because the spine piece is not expandable. is there someplace to get a expandable piece to replace it, or does anyone have any suggestions as to how he can cover the spine with all the extra pages he intends to have.

daney
daney 
Expert
daney
  • daney on 12-07-09 10:31 AM
In response to mjw1960

If you post a picture of the spine, we can probably help out - I just don't have a clear image of what you are dealing with - maybe it's actually expandable but you just don't know how to do it? (since you are new to scrapbooking?) or maybe it really is a fixed page deal and we need to think outside the binding? anyway, i think a photo would help.

New Kid On the Block
In response to daney

OK, I'll try... I'm not new to scrapbook, but my son is. and I've never had to expand a book before, but I do have several that have expandable spines. this one does not. I will try to figure out how to post a picture. thanks

daney
daney 
Expert
daney
  • daney on 12-08-09 05:51 AM
In response to mjw1960

okay - here's a suggestion:

Remove the spine cover, cover it with a new fabric - choose something that goes with the cover color, but that reminds you of the vacation or something FUN (since it won't match perfectly, I say go fun, altho I don't know what the album pages are done like... leather, print, vinyl, felt, whatev) and then punch NEW holes further toward the edge of the spine cover piece with a cropadile. While it is all taken apart, replace the posts with the pioneer kit (easier to add/remove pages, more stable than expanded posts).

New Kid On the Block
In response to daney

ok, here's a picture.. as you can see the spine piece is only about an inch wide, he definately needs more space than that

daney
daney 
Expert
daney
  • daney on 12-08-09 09:00 AM
In response to mjw1960

I had already looked at it in your gallery before I posted - that's all I can offer - I have had this kind before and I didn't come up with any good solution - On mine you can see the holes - there were new ones to expand to, but then the "old" ones show on the binding (not pretty). I will (eventually) recover that piece with a complementary fabric....

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to daney

That looks like a post-bound book. You can add post extensions to it.

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to Bxr-Linda

Linda, you are right she can add post extensions, but after that the binding COVER will be too small. I've had that problem too and have been frustrated. Dana you came up with a great idea and I think it would work. Maybe put some thin chip board or board from a cereal box behind the fabric (attached with spray glue) to give the coordinating fabric some weight. Hmmm.... gonna try that. Thanks!

New Kid On the Block
In response to sweet1

thanks for all the suggestions.. I think I will have him do that.. try to find some fabric that matches the cover and get some chipboard and then score it to fold where he needs it to ..

I'll send pictures when he gets it all done

Melanie

daney
daney 
Expert
daney
  • daney on 12-08-09 07:51 PM
In response to mjw1960

Please do share the pics, Melanie. I would really like to see it -

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics