Username Post: 12 inch paper trimmer        (Topic#1523123)
flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419

I am getting a gift card to the superstore here on this site for christmas from my mother in law. they had to spill the beans because it is going to be delivered to my e mail anytime. My question is this, I am looking at buying a 12 inch paper trimmer. I want to know from all of you seasoned scrappers, should I get a guillatine style one like what I use at my daughter's school to trim things for the art department, or should I get the rotary style. Also I saw that there was one on the site that isn't available right now but it is a 2 in one. It has the guillatine and the rotary. What style works best for you is really waht I wanted to know.

Thanks for all of your input!

I added the three I am looking at to the items so you can see the ones I am most interested in. Thanks again

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to flutterbye0419

I absolutely love my Making Memories trimmer. The blade never needs replacing, and it cuts so good.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to flintridgescrapper

wow that is a plus... how hard is it to learn to use the making memories trimmer? i only have a cheapo 8 inch trimmer that i got from the dollar tree about three years ago and it really needs replacing... LOL

jeni0071
Pro
jeni0071

I love my Fiskars trimmer...you can change the blades to do decorative edges!

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to jeni0071

I to have the making memories trimmer and love it. the only thing you have to learn is to use the grid and not the edges of the trimmer to line up your paper.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to Nancy Keslin

i like the idea of using the grid... are you able to get perfectly cut even pages by doing it this way? I want to use my cutter to make not only scrapping pages but mostly to cut my paper down to size for cards...

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to jeni0071

this may be something i look into as i get more into the scrpping, i am looking for something for the basic cutting of paper to the sizes i need for various paper projects.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper

IMO, this would be perfect. Cuts perfect edges for me.

pieces of me
Expert
pieces of me
In response to flintridgescrapper

I have 4 Tonic Studio's Guillotine style,6.5 inch, 8.5 inch, 6 x 12, 12 x 12 and absolutely love them ALL! But, I don't see that they carry them anymore here in the superstore.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to pieces of me

I have the first one, the xacto laser paper cutter, you will have to adjust the laser when you first get it to make it straight, not hard to do. I like that the blade is self-sharpening, I do not like the top of the trimmer though. I don't like using the grid to cut, I would rather be able to push it against the top and "eyeball" cut it...but the top edge is kind of rolled and very difficult to line your paper up straight, almost making you have to use the grid. Other than that top edge though, I love my cutter.

rhondalenay
Resident
rhondalenay
In response to StarsNSparkles

If you google it - there is a youtube video on how to use the making memories paper trimmer.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to rhondalenay

I highly recommend the MM trimmer,,,However, something to consider is how MANY sheets of paper you want to cut at one time,,,

if you want to cut thicker items and many sheets of paper, a guillotine trimmer may be a better choice for you,,,,,,personally, I find them difficult to use (Ihave one at work),,,,

I ruined an MM trimmer once (I think) because someone cut too many peices of CS with it at once,,,,

Im not entirely certain,,,,,,,but I let them use it, they looked mighty guilty, and it cut horribly ragged from then on,,,,

I called MM and they tried to walk me through everything to fix it, but nothing,,,,,

and even though I told them that I THINK it might have been used to cut too many sheets of paper, because it was only a month old, they replaced it for me,,,,FREE,,,,EXCELLENT customer service,,,,I had to wait 4 weeks for the new one, which was a pain, but IMHO, they didn't HAVE to replace it,,,,,that they DID was remarkable.

However,,,,,2-3 sheets of CS at one time I believe is what they recommend and NEVER anything thicker like chipboard.

so a bit depends on what you want to cut,,,,,,if you are a card maker and want to cut 8 sheets of the same paper at one time,,,,,you may want to double check how many sheets you can cut with the guillotine cutter.

Otherwise, the MM trimmer is absolutely FANTASTIC and I would recommend it to anyone.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 12-19-09 04:45 AM
In response to CommaHolly

I use Cutterpede. It's rotary style and you can change the blade to decorative ones. I love it. I have the big one and the small one. They sell them at the Superstore here and also at your local craft store.

It's super easy to use and to change blades is a snap.

I'm not a fan of the guillotine style because it's harder to cut 1 sheet straight (for me) because of the way the paper bends over the edge as it's cut. That style cutter does work better for multiple sheets at once, but I rarely need to cut more than one sheet at a time.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to IzzyB

I have the second version. I like it because the cuts are very straight, and you don't have to replace the blade, but you can't just start the cut anywhere on the sheet because it is rotary and the blade doesn't lift up. I used to use the swing arm type (like the smaller piece on your third example) that allowed me to cut frames from the middle of sheets of paper. Plus, cutting thin strips from another thin sheet of paper is virtually impossible because there is a guard that won't allow you to hold thin strips of paper down solidly. Your cut ends up crooked as a result but you can cut them very nicely from a wider starting sheet that allows you to hold it firmly against the grid. (Again, the swing arm type would be a better choice for this type of cutting.) And it is true that trying to cut too many pieces or pieces that are too thick will result in a blade that jumps the track and creates wonky cuts afterwards. (The guillotine is best for this type of cutting.)

So, in the examples you've chosen, I really like the idea of the third choice because you should get all the benefits.

Edited by KatieJo on 12-19-09 06:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to KatieJo

My vote is for the MM trimmer. I have one and adore it. Th blade never needs sharpening and yes you do use the grids to measure and I find that easier than eyeballing it.

MM has amazing customer service. I had problems with the grids coming off the trimmer after a few weeks' use. They replaced it three times. (They had a bad batch.) The fourth time they replaced it, the made certain it was from a brand-new improved batch, and they sent it to me along with $50 of brand new product. MM has a customer for life.

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to BlingQueenRia

thanks for all the input... will keep all your comments in mind and definately let you all know when i get what i get and how i like it

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics