Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Best glue for scrapbooking?        (Topic#1523163)
vivasuzi
Tenant
vivasuzi

Hi People I'm new here and already loving looking through layouts and getting ideas. My scrapbook is going to be so much more creative from here on out

So here's my first official question on this site, I'm sure I'll have more!

What is the best adhesive or glue for scrapbooking? I have been using 3M spray glues for years but since I'm running out soon I thought I'd ask if that really is the best way to go. I find it's more permanent than stick glue and most of the time it's easy to apply. However it is messy b/c I have to have newspapers to spray on and make sure I don't get it anywhere else. Plus it gets on my fingers no matter how careful I am when picking up the photo to apply it.

I need an adhesive that works for papers and photos mostly. So what do you use? Any recommendations? Thanks!!!

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to vivasuzi

I like the Herma adhesive tabs. Works great for putting photos on pages. For adhering things like chipboard, etc. and for altering things, I have just discovered Zip Dry. Love it! Doesn't wrinkle the paper as it dries.

vivasuzi
Tenant
vivasuzi
In response to flintridgescrapper

Thanks! I will look into those. I like that this forum let's you link products, it makes it so much easier to know what you are talking about.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to vivasuzi

I can't scrap without my atg gun. Only way to go; easy to use even for my arthritic hands and way more economical. I like Zip Dry but find Beacon's 3-in-1 Advanced Craft Glue to work as well and is cheaper. I keep an extra bottle in my stash.

vivasuzi
Tenant
vivasuzi
In response to Sunnydi

Thanks! So are these options you guys are providing permanent? And will they stick to anything such as patterned paper?

I'm just thinking of the current page I made where the paper actually had a design that sticks up a bit, and after spray glueing I really had to hold the photos down on the paper for a long time to make sure they stayed.

My current scrapbook doesn't use page protectors so I like to make sure to get something very very strong.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to vivasuzi

I use a ton of Zip Dry! It's permanent and super strong. It doesn't warp paper or photos like many liquid glues do. I scrap with a lot of dimension as well, so I gotta have my foam dots.

vivasuzi
Tenant
vivasuzi
In response to Here Kitty

Thanks. I like the idea of the liquid b/c I always felt like the Spray Glue I used was more permanent than tape-like glues. But I've never used the ones listed in this thread! I might try the zip dry first b/c it's cheaper

Thaiti30
Expert
Thaiti30
In response to vivasuzi

I love the kukoyo adhesive but that was discontinued but I also use Glossy accents from Ranger!!! it dries super fast and it doesn't warp your paper if you use a little!!!!

I own the following products plus more I couldn't find at the Superstore!!!!! Good Luck!!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo
In response to Thaiti30

Adhesives...there are so many choices out there! I love glue dots for heavier applications. I have tried several types and use different ones for different applications. Sorry...not much help here!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to AuntJo

absolutely my first fav is the ATG 714 gun,,,,and the 1/4 inch tape that goes with it,,,,it's about as sticky as you can get, definately permanent, and CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. However, for a newbie, it's a bit pricy to start out with,,,,the gun will cost anywhere from 40-80 dollars or so, PLUS the refill tapes you need to buy,,,,,,,,but IMHO, it is WELL worth the investment for a scrapper. Almost every single person I know has loved it,,,,,even the ones who held out forever on buying it,,,,,,,,I know of one person who just felt it was too big to handle,,,,,,

my 8 year old grandson scraps with one and won't use anything else,,,,,,,,AND he can load it himself. So its really not that tough, just a personal choice.

Barring that, or if you don't want to (or can't) lay out that kind of money, my second fav, getting very very close to my first fav, is the already mentioned Zip-Dry glue,,,,,,,it lasts forever, costs about 5 bucks give or take a buck, can get it either here or at J's or M's, and you can use a coupon for it,,,,,,and it does NOT wrinkle paper,,,,,,,

some of the best stuff I've ever used,,,,,

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to CommaHolly

I prefer Xyron and Glue Dots.

rhondalenay
Resident
rhondalenay
In response to dotfree

Zip dry is great but recently I found Beacon's 3-in-1 Advanced Craft Glue and I like it better - mostly because you get twice as much as the Zip Dry for half the cost.

vivasuzi
Tenant
vivasuzi
In response to rhondalenay

thanks for all the suggestions. I searched this forum and found that others have asked about this before so I guess I should have searched first! I hope you didn't mind repeating yourself

I think I'll stick to the cheaper options for now. That Beacon's and Zip-Dry might be the first I try. All those glue dots and other things sound cool too! I never knew there was so much out there! I think the cheaper options are more for me b/c then I can buy a whole variety of cheaper adhesives for different needs.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to vivasuzi

you know what they say about adhesive,,,,,

2 scrappers,,,,,,3 opinions

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

PS,,,,it's almost as bad as asking about trimmers

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker

Right now I'm loving Zots glue dots. But I go through them too fast. Also love my sticker maker.
Usually use a plain old glue stick.

vivasuzi
Tenant
vivasuzi
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

Ok so I had no idea what you guys were talking about when people mentioned "warping" the paper.

Well last night, with none of my usual adhesive left, I reallllly wanted to put together a page I'd been waiting to finish. I figured I could use the tacky glue I had bought to glue some cardboard together. The tacky glue worked great on my cardboard but when it came to my scrapbook it didn't! Well... now I know what warping means! This stuff definitely caused it to warp. Luckily it did not warp too much and I think once it's in my book people won't even notice.

I'm going to have to buy my new glue right away so I can get back to work on my book! Now I'm in a standstill.

Edited by vivasuzi on 12-21-09 12:34 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi
In response to vivasuzi

I love Aleene's Tacky Glue, Glue dots, my xyron X, Zig 2 way glue pen, and tape runners!!

Richelle
Angel
Richelle
In response to SQ Mandi

I always use Duncan Enterprises - Original Tacky Glue.
It holds everything!

pharmgirl
Guru
pharmgirl
In response to SQ Mandi

For photos and paper I like the re-positional adhesive by either 3L or Herma. I change my mind a lot and it lets you move stuff around, but it becomes permanent later. (i haven't had any problems). For heavier things i use Glue Dots. and I LOVE Zip Dry for covering chipboard.

So those are my main adhesives. I can't scrap without them!

Edited by pharmgirl on 12-22-09 07:09 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics