Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Tim Holtz stuff...Questions!        (Topic#1523729)
Smashley
Idol
Smashley

So I hear all these wonderful things about Tim's stuff, and now that I've watched some of his videos, I'm intrigued. I'm just not sure where to start! I really like stamping and embossing, so I would like to try some of his embossing powders. What is the difference between his distress inks and other inks? I know that the colors are supposed to just look worn and distressed, is that the only difference? What does everyone use them for other than actual stamping? And what is Distress stickles? I kind of don't understand how glitter glue can look distressed. TIA!

nallian
Expert
nallian
In response to Smashley

I have some of the stressed and non-stressed stickles and powders. The stressed seems to have more glitter "gunk" to it. In other words, the glitter is bigger. But I am no expert, someone else may be able to explain it better.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to nallian

But your name SAYS you're an expert... LOL!

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 12-28-09 12:19 PM
In response to nallian

The distress inks are water based so you can do some really cool effects with them. I would suggest watching some of his videos on the distress inks. I LOVE the distress ink and they are my first choice for inks unless I am going to be getting my project wet and I don't want the ink to run.

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 12-28-09 12:21 PM
In response to CASBa

I like the Tim Holtz embossing powder, but I like Zing powder the best. The distress powder has its place though. I think of all the products I would start with would be the distress ink and a blending tool. The alcohol inks are really cool too if you work with a lot of glass, plastic, or other non-porous materials.

Legomom
Expert
Legomom
In response to CASBa

One technique he used with the stickles was to paint with them a bit when I took one of his classes at CKU. I usually just use them from the bottle and smudge them a bit at times, but he had us put them on a plastic mat and dip a brush in them and paint a bit with them.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to Legomom

I think I'll get some inks and a blending tool and see how I like it. I'll also have to watch more videos because the only things I'm used to doing with ink is stamping and inking the edges of things. I need to get outside my crafting box.

AimeeInOhio
Pro
AimeeInOhio
In response to Smashley

Definately watch the videos- that's what they are there for! LOL

The Distress inks and powders are meant to work together. The powders, once heated, and let to cool will rub off some of the large crystals. This is to create a worn/pitted look. VERY COOL.

I am Ranger Certified so if ya have any more questions, just ask.

stephie
Idol
stephie
In response to AimeeInOhio

Definitely rewatch the videos when you can, he rocks!

Katy_Crops
Resident
Katy_Crops
In response to stephie

Regular stickles are made with myelar(spell?), like the balloons, and Tim's stickles are made with mica, the mineral. So Tim's stickles are not glittery but a little bit shimmery and look like "rock candy" when they are spread out. I love them! The tip on the Distress stickles is not as fine as the regular stickles either, because they are meant to be spread out.
HTH

p.s. did you see all of Tim's new Distress Ink colors premiering at CHA this summer =D

Scrappy_Bear
Idol
Scrappy_Bear
In response to Katy_Crops

Tim Holtz/Cropper Hopper Designer Ruler is the best. It has replaced so many of my other tools - just love it!

Nathan*s_Mommy
Veteran
Nathan*s_Mommy
In response to Smashley

I use the distress inks on EVERYTHING! I love them. I don't use them for stamping I just use them to hide the white around pictures and paper and on the edges of everything. I'm addicted. lol.

-Jenn-
-Jenn- 
Diva
-Jenn-
In response to Nathan*s_Mommy

I've been throwing this link to EVERYONE because I just finished watched all of her videos and I LOVE IT!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TwoPeasInABucket #p/u/127/Xj...

Scroll half way down on the right and watch all of the thinking inking there is 3 classes per week and there is 9 weeks of classes (done last summer) each video is about 10 minutes long as she goes thru all of the different tim holtz stuff and now I need it all Hope that helps

(they were done 6 months ago, if that helps PM me if you can't find them all and I will send you all of the links!)

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to -Jenn-

Well I ended up buying some of his stamping masks and some Smooch Spritz. LOVE the masks! They're really cute! I definitely need to watch all these videos everyone posted. Thank you all so much!

AmyK75
AmyK75 
Veteran
AmyK75
In response to Smashley

Thanks for the youtube link... now I just have to find some time to watch them all...

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Smashley

• Smashley Said:
Well I ended up buying some of his stamping masks and some Smooch Spritz. LOVE the masks! They're really cute! I definitely need to watch all these videos everyone posted. Thank you all so much!

YAY! Def watch his vids, they are the best. I have a ton of masks, I heart them.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to AmyK75

Distress inks are great for blending. I love to make tags or elements to go on my LOs. I stamp about 3 colors on my non-stick mat, then spritz with water and run my tag through them, then dry it with a heat gun. It gives some really cool water color effects! You can also use them for embossing, as the ink stays wet for quite a while.

The distress stickles I don't care for as much. I agree with someone above, how can glitter be distress? I know the glitter isn't as "strong" in the distress stickles, but I guess I just haven't learned their place yet...lol

The distress embossing powders are cool, just remember to shake them up before you use them, so that the crystals spread out evenly.

Legomom
Expert
Legomom
In response to StarsNSparkles

Ooohh..haven't tried the distress embossing powders.. hmmm.. I'm getting into embossing again so that might have to go on my wish list. :-)

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Legomom

I LOVE the Distress Stickles! They do make things look distressed. I love them on Thickers and Grungeboard.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to Manda_K

I think my next move is getting the Distress Inks. Everyone always raves about them, and I haven't really found a brand of ink that I LOVE yet. Well, I do like my cat eye pads, but I only have a couple of those. I know what I'll be asking for come my birthday!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics