Username Post: Which Ink?        (Topic#1524423)
kariyava
Pro
kariyava

I am a long-time scrapper but I am new to stamping. I purchased some acrylic stamps a little while ago and have been very disappointed with their performance. I finally figured out that I have been using them with the wrong type of ink -- water/dye based inks instead of solvant/pigment/chalk inks. Now that I know where the problem lies, I need to buy new inks!

That is where my question comes in. I am trying to decide between 3 types of inks and would love feedback on your personal experiences with them:

1. Colorbox Fluid Chalk Ink
2. Tsukineko Versamagic Chalk Ink
3. Tsukineko Brilliance Pigment Ink

Any help will be appreciated!

boysmom
Pro
boysmom
In response to kariyava

I use my acrylic with water/dye based inks and they come out great. I have not had much luck stamping with chalk inks - although I love them for other things. I have always had good luck with CTMH inks which is what I started with. More recently I bought some of the Nick Bantock ones sold here and they stamp even nicer although don't last so long.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to boysmom

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I basically thought ink was ink. Since I now have lots of acrylic stamps, I want whatever will work the best. It's confusing.

I don't think the cat eye inks you mentioned are solvent based.

There is information here with a "cheat sheet" for the different types of inks. I'm trying to find it now.

Here's another thread on the topic:
http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15238...

The Nick Bantock inks are dye-based (water-based).

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

Here's some info on inks that might be helpful:

http://www.scrapbook.com/tips/doc/32019/257.html

kariyava
Pro
kariyava
In response to Bxr-Linda

Oooh, you are right about the colorbox ink being water-based. Has anyone tried both the versamagic and brilliance? I would love a comparison using acrylic stamps.

I have also heard of hybrid ink pads (palette). Anyone tried those?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to kariyava

I do a lot of stamping and use Memento, Papertrey Ink (hybrid), and Versamark the most with great results
Most of the stampers I stamp with use Memento and Papertrey Ink.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to Here Kitty

• Here Kitty Said:
I do a lot of stamping and use Memento, Papertrey Ink (hybrid), and Versamark the most with great results
Most of the stampers I stamp with use Memento and Papertrey Ink.

Totally agree! I don't like working with chalk or pigment ink unless I'm embossing, it's too messy and likely to smear.

I love Memento (by Tsukineko) and Papertrey. I'm primarily a stamper, so I've tried a ton of inks!

kariyava
Pro
kariyava
In response to tinacome

Thanks for the tip about Papertrey. It sounds like they have recently changed their formula though. Has anyone used the new Papertrey inks?

Edited by kariyava on 01-04-10 02:48 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

lucy e
lucy e 
Veteran
lucy e
In response to kariyava

I stamp almost everything with Stazon....no smears and it is waterproof. I use it with acrylic or rubber stamps.

Sometimes dye inks on acrylic stamps can bead up, but after a few uses that goes away.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to kariyava

• kariyava Said:
Thanks for the tip about Papertrey. It sounds like they have recently changed their formula though. Has anyone used the new Papertrey inks?

Yep, and they're great!

By the way, many stampers do not stamp with StazOn because you can't use Copics with them. Solvent inks don't react well with Alcohol markers, they run. That's why I use Memento and Papertrey, they work with watercolors, markers and especially my Copics

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to tinacome

Super advice on this thread.

I use Stazon, but I do not use Copics. I use Tim Holtz Distress ink 99% of the time.

If the ink beads up on your acrylic stamp, rub it quick and light with really fine sand paper.

kariyava
Pro
kariyava
In response to Manda_K

Thanks for all of the advice. I ran out last night and found some versamagic at Ms and tried it out -- it is fabulous! It gave me the first crisp images I have ever been able to make!

Love 2 Learn
Guru
Love 2 Learn
In response to kariyava

My favorite for clear, crisp, detailed images is VersaFine as well as all the other lines of Tsukineko. The following is a description of VersaFine Ink:
Looking for an ink to give you extremely fine detail? An ink that you are able to watercolor or marker over and it won't bleed? Then look no further! This natural oil-based pigment ink dries instantly on matte cardstock. You won't believe it till you see it. Available in 10 colors, no inkers needed. Inkpad lasts 3-5 times longer than regular inks.
Can't give you the link--just Google Tsukineko!!!!!

Legomom
Expert
Legomom
In response to Love 2 Learn

Ooohh. I've seen the Versafine at a store and was wondering... now this helps a lot! THANKS! I love my acrylic stamps! But primarily use CTMH since that is what I started with, but have also used my Tim Holtz and it works fine too. I have lurked on another large forum that stampers tend to migrate to, and they all swear by Papertrey. So I might venture and try that as well.

Jessica_
Guru
Jessica_
In response to Legomom

http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/?m=view&v= 887&c...

This is a very helpful video for those that are still confused - or want to see examples!

kariyava
Pro
kariyava
In response to Jessica_

Versafine looks like a great ink, but I prefer the dew drop size. Are there any plans to make dew drop versafine inks?

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to kariyava

I watched the video and I'm still a bit confused. I'm a Doodlebug fanatic and several years ago bought many of their acrylic stamps and pigment ink pads. I've had lots of trouble making the images "pop," they look faded and very light - not at all how it looks on their examples! I've used other brands of pigment ink and it's worked better, but still not a "crisp" or perfect image. What should I be using instead? I hate that I've put all my stamps aside and not used them in so long! Any help is appreciated!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics