Username Post: help using papers with scenes on them        (Topic#1524501)
mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara

I mean those papers that have little scenes, like grass along the bottom, a sky and clouds or the sun at the top, and often something like a tree going up one side. They often have little animal characters or sometimes just flowers and grass along the bottom. They are usually solid or a very subtle pattern in the middle part. Not sure what to call them or how better to describe them. There are a few in the DCWV Green stack.

The few I have (in the Green stack) are cute with beavers, skunks, etc. on them, but I'm not sure how to use them. If anyone can uderstand what I'm talking about, could you pls post examples/ideas of how to use these cute papers?

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to mercytiara

My idea is simple but I've seen it used a lot. Often people will only use one photo on these pages. Single or double matted and placed so that they do not interrupt the scene (or interrupt is as little as possible). I have paper like this too and I always hesitate to use them for the same reasons.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

I agree these papers are hard to use!! Other ideas?

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I went to the Green Stack's page in the superstore and here's the 259 examples of projects using those papers. Some of them don't work around the scenery, but there's a few that do. HTH!
http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/?type=searchs ku&sk...

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to siameseplease

Tip - Don't be afraid to cut up your paper. By that I mean, consider cutting out animal character shapes, flowers, trees, etc.

Also, if characters or objects are in the way, you can cut a slit in your paper and slide your pictures in or behind objects. For example, in the case of a flower patch, a tree or a bush.

Hopefully, not only that tip, but some of the following layouts help get you started!

p.s. By the way, as always with anything, it really depends on you & your style! If you look closely enough, you might see that I tend to include & build yet even more scenery! As mentioned above, you can choose to keep it simple, but as usual, I mostly tend to go the other way! LOL!

A Sister Is... By KellyCali

Brookfield Zoo By KellyCali

Everything You Can Imagine By KellyCali

Laugh & Play By KellyCali

{Shine On} By KellyCali

NSBD Who I Am By KellyCali

{The Kingdom Of Heaven} By KellyCali

{The World So Sweet} By KellyCali

{Sunshine Day} By KellyCali

sankie1987
Pro
sankie1987
In response to KellyCali

while we are on the subject of not knowing what to do with paper a friend got me the fairy tail pack for christmas and the paper is sooo pretty with glitter and pictures and such and i dont have any idea what to do with them!!!!

i think this is the pack

Edited by sankie1987 on 01-05-10 08:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to sankie1987

• sankie1987 Said:
while we are on the subject of not knowing what to do with paper a friend got me the fairy tail pack for christmas and the paper is sooo pretty with glitter and pictures and such and i dont have any idea what to do with them!!!!

i think this is the pack

This paper is pretty, but I also found it hard to use. My paper pack was the 8X8 size but I used it to create 12X12 layouts, so not exactly the same situation for you. But here are a couple of layouts I did with this pack, just to give you some ideas.

Once Upon A Time ... By Mama2Thomas

Medieval Adventure By Mama2Thomas

Edited by Mama2Thomas on 01-05-10 09:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to Mama2Thomas

I did one like this:

Watch the Birdies! By SuperAllyFan

Crankylady
Veteran
Crankylady
In response to SuperAllyFan

It is hard sometimes, I have some of these beautiful papers, but if I put anything on them, I'll cover something up!

rubyc
rubyc 
Expert
rubyc
  • rubyc on 01-05-10 11:35 AM
In response to Crankylady

I had trouble with this too but then I figured that I would not need 2 sheets of the same pp so I use one and cut the other one to embellish one page.

ex: if it has a tree and grass I cut them out in one sheet and use glue dots to so that they can pop out in the original pp. then with the scraps I do photo corners or mats but I try to distress it first

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to rubyc

I agree that these are hard to use.

I have the Once Upon a Time (fairy tale) matt stack, and it's hard to use!

I have cut the outline of part of the design (the petals of a flower, for example), and slipped my photo underneath. So, the flower overlaps the edge of the photo a bit.

As mentioned above, don't be afraid to cut it!

I just try to stay away from these kinds of papers.

JaymieLiz
Idol
JaymieLiz
In response to sankie1987

• sankie1987 Said:

i think this is the pack

The once upon a time is one of my all time fav stacks!! I've gotten a lot of use out of it for antique/vintage style layouts - loved it!

Antique Album By JaymieLiz

Antique Page 2 By JaymieLiz

JaymieLiz
Idol
JaymieLiz

I agree with the advice on don't be afraid to cut! DCWV paper is almost at it's best when you chop and blend the scenic ones! This is not the Green Stack, it was the Nana's Nursery, a few pages had animals that were too cute, but I just could not use the pp as it was, for this 2 pager I cut up 7 pages from the stack, leaves, animals, and the giant giraffe!

First Day at the Zoo P. 1 By JaymieLiz

First Day At The Zoo P 2. By JaymieLiz

ocfly14
Veteran
ocfly14
In response to JaymieLiz

Definitely agree with everyone saying to cut out the objects, and the DCWV stacks are great for that because you always get more than one sheet. Here's a couple LO I did with the green stack , and 1 from another stack ( I think it was called the year round stack) and I cut all the little critters out of other sheets and made them 3-D with som pop dots.

King of the Jungle By Ocfly14
What a good group...of nuts By Ocfly14
Monster Love By Ocfly14

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

Recently I was working with a BG pattern paper that had a pretty but very busy design. I did a search in the gallery and a couple hundred pages, where the paper was used, popped up. Surprisely just about everyone cut the paper up and used smaller sections. Maybe only 1% used the entire page. It sure was an eye opener to see so many variations using smaller sections of the paper and how great they all looked.

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 01-05-10 05:01 PM
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I agree with some of the others--cut 'em up! Here are a few examples of pages I've done with elements cut out of "busy" papers. I am also including some examples of building a layout on top of a "busy" paper left intact.

Bea's Happy Place By Ami G

I Am So Thankful For You By Ami G

Diet Coke Bunker By Ami G

Warm By Ami G

So Happy Together By Ami G

Hope that helps!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Ami G

Gorgeous examples ladies.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to 950nancy

I think I've used one of the pp you're talking about. In this one, I put one photo to the side and painted my own cloud; then turned it into a journal spot.

A boy and his tree By MommaSaid

riverroadrn
Diva
riverroadrn
In response to MommaSaid

You guys are good! I have those papers and now feel a lot less intimidated!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics