Username Post: Question on folding heavy card stock...        (Topic#1524653)
catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper

I have had this problem so have to ask- with heavy card stock most of the time I do not get a clean fold. I get a rough looking edge when I fold, I have tried making a score line with a bone folder or scoring tool but with the heavy card stock I get the same results. It is so frustrating and I have some cards I folded and got this nasty looking edge so ended up cutting them apart and making card fronts, then glued those to different cards That looked better but I felt so wasteful basically using 2 thickness of card stock on those cards. Please tell me what am I doing wrong to make the edge not fold smooth? Maybe I need to cut that card stock just for glue on embellishments or ATCs. Thanks for any suggestions.

Kozy Scraps
Pro
Kozy Scraps
In response to catzscrapper

I have had that problem many times. I don’t fold very often with heavy card stock, but when I do I have lightly dampened the paper after scoring and folded a little neater. Also going very slow will help. Just do not get the paper too wet or use anything to rug on it until it is dry. I have put it between a thin non terry cloth and set a heavy book on it to press it down while it dried.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 01-07-10 04:00 AM
In response to Kozy Scraps

One the rare occasions that I fold cardstock, I put it one of my old fiskars trimmers, the ones with "channel" that the blade goes in and I score it using my bonefolder. I have long since lost the black scoring thing that came with trimmers.

Maybe this will help.

kdkaboom55
Idol
kdkaboom55
In response to KimKV

I always use the scoring blade on the 12 inch trimmer, and never ever have a crusty-looking edge. I could never get crisp results with a bone folder. PS Kim M's sells replacement scoring blades for the Fiskars trimmer.

Legomom
Expert
Legomom
In response to KimKV

With heavy cardstock I usually always have to score before I fold. I do what KimKV does with her Fiskars as well. Works well.

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to Legomom

ultiDo you score on the inside of the card or the outside? In other words after you score it do you turn it over and then fold? Turning it over before folding makes a world of difference. Also using the "Ultimate Crafter's Companion" (I love that title sounds so important!) with the scoring tool makes things easier too.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to sweet1

Heavy Textured cardstock doesn't fold as well as smooth. For cards I try to use smooth cardstock.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to Here Kitty

Thanks Cooperative Friends! I will try some of these things and see if I can accomplish better results

scrapinmomof4
Veteran
scrapinmomof4
In response to catzscrapper

I use my score pal. If the paper is very thick then I score both sides and always get a crisp edge. HTH

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to scrapinmomof4

Torie, I have the score pal and had not had any luck with the thick card stock. But I did not score on both sides, I will try that too I did try what Pam said with dampening the cardstock on the fold first, that helped alot.
I just LOVE this place and all of you who help!

Edited by catzscrapper on 01-09-10 05:41 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics