Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Best Adhesive?        (Topic#1524733)
New Kid On the Block

Hey all -

Adhesives make me a little nuts! Either they're too runny & my paper scrunches up, or too dry & they don't stick! And they tend to be so darn expensive - to keep up with my scrapping, I'll have to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house!

Any recommendations for a good quality, non-runny, but reasonably-priced adhesive?

Thanks much!!

Monica

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to MonicaH

I like different adhesives for different uses. I splurged last year and bought the ATG gun. Best move ever. The ATG was expensive, but it holds a lot of adhesive and you get a lot of bang for the buck with the refills. I have already made up the cost of the ATG with adhesive refills alone.

Before my ATG, my fav adhesive was 3L. A little clunky, but amazing stick power.

Glue dots are my fav for heavy embellies, and Glossy Accents is great when I need liquid adhesive.

Quay
Quay 
Governor
Quay
  • Quay on 01-07-10 09:14 PM
In response to Luvmyfam

Love glue dots!
Products Referenced in This Post:

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to Quay

Love Zip Dry. Get it with coupons...makes it reasonable. Won't warp the paper!

KCScrapDiva
Expert
KCScrapDiva
In response to flintridgescrapper

I REALLY want an ATG. *drool* Maybe next month I'll spend some of my fun money in it.

One of my favorite adhesives is my Zots. I love the 3D and the Medium Zots. The 3D are great for giving a page some nice dimension!

Legomom
Expert
Legomom
In response to KCScrapDiva

Tape runner: Duck brand...it really works well and is not expensive
Liquid: Zip-dry hands down. Used it when I was at a convention and was hooked! Great for working with chipboard.
ATG: LOVE IT!! The gun has paid for itself already. I get my refills at a framing supply store for cheap! Only about $3/roll for the 1/4" acid-free gold label, 36 yds.

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo
In response to MonicaH

I agree.....I have yet to try a glue that I like that is priced reasonably. I started out about 3 years ago using reg. glue not knowing any better.....thanks goodness I only did this to about 30-35 pages. Then I've used the elmers memory book glue that could be purchased at wal mart for quite a while.....but it leaves my pages kinda hard, and then when I go back to llook at them later my embellies such as buttons, ribbons, or flowers are nototious for popping off. I have tried some little cheapo gadget that looks like a white out tape, not crazy about it's bond. I am in the market for new adhesive now but really not sure what to purchase either.

For the glue guns, dots, ect. when you need to adhere something like a ribbon to the paper and then say a button over the middle of the ribbon....are the dots raised so much that it will look weird, and does it hold heavy things?\

I am not purchasing the ATG gun at this time that I have seen so many praising, mainly cause of cost....what is a cheaper option that is better than what I have been using in the past?

KCScrapDiva
Expert
KCScrapDiva
In response to jennaroo

What I like about the Zots (not the 3D, but the regular) is that they are thin, so when popping one on the back of a button, it won't raise the button off your page.

I currently have a Xyon 3/8" adhesive tape runner. Lately, I've been less than impressed. It constantly is coming off the roller part and for some reason, with these new rolls, it gets WAY loose when I'm rolling it. SO incredibly annoying. I think I need to bite the bullet and get me some ATG lovin'.

cpowife
Mayor
cpowife
In response to KCScrapDiva

Before my Atg gun, the best adhesive I found was the glue glider pro. I tried many different brands but a few months later when I would go through my albums, stuff would be falling off.

Matthews Mommy
Veteran
Matthews Mommy
In response to cpowife

my favorites are 3L scrapbook adhesive taps or fiskars photo tabs. For smaller items I like zig glue pen

JoJorenee
Queen
JoJorenee
In response to MonicaH

I know its hard but you may have to try a few before you find that ONE that suits you.

I like these

HerHighness68
Idol
HerHighness68
In response to JoJorenee

I use double sided tape and glue dots

Sparky003
Guru
Sparky003
In response to HerHighness68

I like zots and glue dots, but haven't found a liquid that I like. Martha Stewart's glue (the blue glue) doesn't stick after it dries.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Sparky003

As mentioned above, I use different adhesive for different applications.

Glue dots for embellishments

tape runner (used to use Hermafix, now I have Adtech) for photos

One piece of advice, STAY AWAY FROM GLUE STICKS! They will fail over a short period of time, and your pages will fall apart. Not worth it!

Legomom
Expert
Legomom
In response to Sparky003

A great tape runner that is not expensive is the Duck brand. They are red and you can get a 4 pack for about $13 at Jo's.. if you have a coupon that is even better.
Or 3M photo tape is really good. I used it in the past, before my ATG, when I used Club Scrap cardstock (think Bazzill but 3x as heavy) and the 3M worked great for that.
Making Memories Metal glue is great for embellies. As well as Glossy Accents. I agree, the MS glue is worthless. I won a bottle at a crop and just threw it away after I tried it.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to Legomom

I use a liquid adhesive that is called "Crafters' Choice Memory Mount", I think.

It is a bit thick but I found a solution to that if it gets too thick. I boil a cup of water in the microwave and sit it in there while I work. It thins out perfectly. Dh suggested sitting my potpurri warmer near the desk with water in it to keep it warm and ready. Have not tried that yet, but might.
Seriously this eliminates the cramp in your arm from squeezing so hard when glue is too thick.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Trina_P

I'm a Zip Dry girl! Doesn't warp paper, photos, etc. but gives you a super strong bond. Not runny, and dries quickly.

MelissaElsner
Veteran
MelissaElsner
In response to Here Kitty

Love, love, love Zip Dry! It's really not too expensive and you can use coupons.

I use Pioneer Glue Stick for my chipboard and Glue Dots for buttons and flowers.

fishdc
fishdc 
Veteran
fishdc
In response to MelissaElsner

I like glue dots and CM tape runner. Really looks like I need to bite the bullet and invest in an ATG Gun!! They look great.

scrapinmomof4
Veteran
scrapinmomof4
In response to fishdc

I like different adhesives for different projects...
I use my glider pro for general layouts/paper. The ATG gun was too heavy for me. I use the permatac for the glider pro... the repositional adhesive that is available for this is too gummy and doesn't stick as well. I like CM tape runner too!
For wet adhesive for chipboard I like Scrappy Glue by Heidi Swapp...it's great and dries clear.
For small and detailed peices like small flourish dies I use the Zig Pen (squeeze and roll).
For other uses I use glue dots... love these b/c I can add glitter and flocking to the for an easy brad look without having to poke and flip the back flaps.
None of these are too expensive. I stock up on the glue glider pro refills when Hobbly Lobby has the 40% off coupons.
The scrappy glue is 5.99$ at my LSS but I only buy this about once a yr, (it last a while b/c I do use this regularly.)
The Zig pen is now available at walmart for approx 3$ and glue dots are also approx 3$ but can get them cheaper when Hobby Lobby puts them on sale. Hope this is helpful

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics