Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Using Recycled Materials        (Topic#1524985)
chlovr07
Resident
chlovr07

Just curious what kind of recycled materials do you use in your scrapbooking,mini's,cards etc?
I use cereal boxes,frozen juice can tops,bread bag ties,kids old flashcards,old jewelry,just to name a few.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to chlovr07

I hoard cardboard like it's going out of style! I save pretty greeting cards. Once I used the box from Staples brand 4.5"x6" photo paper to make a box with a mini book inside. Other than that I don't save any materials unless I have an immediate use for it.

MiriamK
Diva
MiriamK
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

I use the flat style boxes and I add ribbon through the top hot glue them all together and make a nice hanging picture/art thing! It looks cool for Christmas I made like 6 of them and they were a huge hit!

MiriamK
Diva
MiriamK
In response to MiriamK

I also save little stuff of everything!

When my little one was a baby I saved jar labels from his food!

I save silly stuff when I have an idea for it!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to chlovr07

recycling materials for scrapbooking is a popular topice (below is a link to several ongoing threads on the topic).

My advice be careful with cardboard from food sources. The quality of the board is not very good and will discolor over the years. Also I have had my share running into more than one bug. They make a "make it acid free" spray but it is expensive and the lower quality papers will still fade and fall apart.

links for...Looking for inexpensive alternatives to save money on scrapbooking materials. Going green/recycling, reusing materials instead of throwing them out. From a creative point of view, using interesting non-traditional materials in scrapbooking.

planty
planty 
Diva
planty
In response to MiriamK

there is nothing safe from me.
Things on my LOs
Plastic cowboy (like the army guys)
foound objects like gemstones and hair clippys
vintage postcards
buttons and trim from old shirts
bits of fabric
pipe cleaners
pins
feathers
duct tape
masking tape
metal tags for gardening
thats just off the top of my head lol

kuke
kuke 
Veteran
kuke
  • kuke on 12-09-10 06:40 PM
In response to planty

i am making a "kitchen memories" mini-books for 4 of my nieces. it's about my mom's kitchen, written from my perspective. for the fibers to tie around the silver rings holding the pages together--i cut up some of mom's old dishtowels and dishrags.

scrapmonique
Resident
scrapmonique
In response to kuke

I like to use the acrylic that's left over when buying stuff in acrylic packages (I hope you know what I mean). I use the flat parts to make my own stitching templates (like the Bazzil In Stitchez).
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by scrapmonique on 12-10-10 01:39 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ycats
Ycats 
Expert
Ycats
  • Ycats on 12-10-10 02:06 AM
In response to scrapmonique

I hate to even admit what all I double use...almost none of my pretties on my page are from a scrap book store. for example I had some tiny lights that I tested and don't break easy... lik the size of the eraser on the end of your pincal or smaller. I then took a really good marker my DH got me (he also got me the lights left over from work) and colored them blue and red. then I pulled out some deep green thread (DH again) and made a pretty cool looking strand of lights.

and thats just one page! I have so many keys and tags and knuts and bults it isn't even funny!

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to Ycats

I collect lightweight cardboard like it's going out of style. Before throwing out a box I always think, what can I do with this.

I started saving Portal of Prayers bi-monthly devotions magazines to turn into flowers.

I save all of my spare buttons (knowing that if I ever really needed to replace a button I'd never figure out which one to use).

timetraveler
Guru
timetraveler
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

I used new dish towels created mini album for coffee&tea swap its in my gallery you like to see it,I also used scrap card board tabs from cans etc

scrapsbygracie
Expert
scrapsbygracie
In response to timetraveler

Acrylic packaging for shaker boxes/cards
Junk mail to test cut my Cricut designs for size and placement on my Gypsy mat

That's all I can think of right now.

brookeblogs
Veteran
brookeblogs
In response to scrapsbygracie

Thanks for all the ideas

Kozy Scraps
Pro
Kozy Scraps
In response to brookeblogs

I recycle the plastic sheets from old cricut mats. I use them to make my own masks and transparencies. I also use the thinker plastic from packaging to make my own stitching patterns as one stated above.

I never throw out a button or anything with buttons on it without taking the buttons off. I have even taken the charms off DD's old shoes.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Kozy Scraps

I use the backing from my prima flowers, their packages are so pretty, I use them on pages all the time.

And starting today I'll be saving the plastic from my packaging, Tim Holtz used them on his 12 tags of christmas the last two days, one for a backing for a homemade stamp and another he used his die cutting machine to make a tag and then embossed it for a really awesome looking overlay!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to MrsAnnieS

does anyone know if the transparencies that come on packages can be cut with a cricut?????

I cut a window and wanted to cut the shadow of it to put behind it so the panes would look like they have glass in them,,,,,,,

Scraping_newbie
New Kid On the Block
Scraping_newbie
In response to CommaHolly

What I do is get free samples of different things from the internet.And sometimes there are really pretty pictures of perfume bottles or diamonds.And so on printed on the thick cards.

so just thing a free perfume sample plus coupons for the perfume and a pretty clipping for you scrapbook.I never buy the perfumes from the advertisements to pricy so I just use the free samples.I mostly use cheap perfumes.

Christine19850
Veteran
Christine19850
In response to chlovr07

I'm a big believer in recycling! I cut the ribbon tags off my new clothes and add the ribbons to my scrap stash for cards; all of my magnetic strip is reclaimed from my last job (they were used on the shelving in the warehouse to identify stock codes), I keep an eye out for buttons I can claim for my stash, I keep condiment jars and small boxes I can recover, I even recycle envelopes if they haven't been written on...

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Christine19850

I have the best misting bottle ever. One time when I bought an expensive chip art kit, the listing included a spray bottle. Oh my... it was like something you would get 3 for a dollar and the spray was not even at all. I don't even know why they would put something like that in a kit over a hundred dollars. But I had the Cadillac of spray bottles in my own bathroom. I finished using a product from Dove called advanced therapy heat shielding spray. The product itself was super, but I rinsed out the bottle (which has a very nice trigger spray) and it provides the finest, most even water mist. It's the greatest water misting bottle I have ever used for scrappy purposes.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Pop cans cut beautiful in the big shot for flowers. I use the tim holtz tattered floral die.

Cut the top and bottom off the pop can and then cut down the seam and you can flatten it out.

Or if you have a newspaper printer near you they have printer tin that you can buy very cheaply and cut it.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics