Page 2466 of 2467 
Username Post: The ORIGINAL Rockin Scrappin Grans & Friends Thread        (Topic#1525163)
memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to oakhills

• oakhills Said:
So sad about your daughter. RA is so painful and limits ones abilities to do so many things. I was surprised to see she can apply for SSI in Mexico. There is so much I don't know about living outside the US.

Ann ........we probably don't want to know either.....I don't understand how you live in another country but can still get SSI????? Hmmmmmmm is she in the service????? Is her husband?????? But do we have bases in Mexico????? If you are an American Citizen and live in another country, can you apply for disability?????? WOW.....where is it cheaper to live....maybe I should move there and collect all my monies and live better........ya think????? Actually I could collect disability with a pacemaker and seizures........! I have often wondered about that......maybe it is more than I get now.....!!!! But since I obviously can still work, I personally don't feel like I should do that. Sigh!

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to scrappin 2

• scrappin 2 Said:
  • Sunnydi Said:
CAhte; I hope Casey is not holding a grudge for any length of time...not healthy. Not fun for you if they don't come.

I don't think she is holding a grudge. I think she is concerned about so many people being here... That is when there are drowning accidents. Oh....I don't know what she thinks to be honest. lol

I truly don't mean to be a smart ********, but why do the kids not know how to swim????? You guys go camping at a lake???? You have a pool!!!! I don't know about there, but I assume it is the same, we have Parent/tot swim lessons.....6 lessons over a two week period at the Rec. Center. The Y has them too, but they are more expensive......anyway.....Matt learned to swim at 19 months and Mandy could not walk yet...she was 9 months old. Ally also took swimming lessons at 14 months old........I forget how old Rachie was, but all these kids were swimming some before they could walk. There is just too much water around for kids to not know how to swim. I took Matt and Mandy to their swim lessons.....you actually get in the pool with them...it was sooooo fun. I also took Sarah Beth when she was one........they had a pool, the grandparents have pools, Karen had a pool at that time, soooooo I am a big believer in swimming babies.....LOL
In fact, Karen is taking Reilly for lessons if the Mother will let her......that is. We signed him up and paid the money.......Jeremy is thrilled but we don't know what the Mom will say! Although she should be thrilled....that means Jeremy will have him 5 days in a row for two weeks....LOL

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to memex9

Teia...sorry to hear about your dd and her having RA....that is a terribly painful thing....i am so sorry. Is she working now??????? What does she do????? Can she work part time for awhile/?????
that is really too bad!

Ann.......I saw some of your pages from Alaska....they are wonderful as I recall. You do the most beautiful travel pages.....!

Di.....I am still chuckling over the "red-headed fairy" line....how adorable......he must be a nice man.....with a sense of humor. LOL I am sure you will enjoy your day. I know you are so glad to have them moving so close to you....How long will it be before they get into their own place?????

Cathe....enjoy the kids you have that come to your house........it will not be long until they won't do that anymore....! My house was always the Sunday Dinner place, Holiday place....etc. but then....the kids got bigger, did not want to leave their own houses ....especially on Christmas....and I can 't blame them.....not only that, but I did not have the big house anymore, and truthfully my house is just too small to entertain that many...and there is nothing for the kids to do.......sooooooo I either go there, when invited, or stay home. LOL Sometimes being single is not all that great!!!!!!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to memex9

Question: a lady communicated with me via pm that she thinks she'd like our board what with the challenges and could she join. She's not a Gram though.

Her daughter is getting married soon so she forsees grands.

Are we staying a Gran group only?????

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to memex9

• memex9 Said:
  • oakhills Said:
So sad about your daughter. RA is so painful and limits ones abilities to do so many things. I was surprised to see she can apply for SSI in Mexico. There is so much I don't know about living outside the US.

Ann ........we probably don't want to know either.....I don't understand how you live in another country but can still get SSI????? Hmmmmmmm is she in the service????? Is her husband?????? But do we have bases in Mexico????? If you are an American Citizen and live in another country, can you apply for disability?????? WOW.....where is it cheaper to live....maybe I should move there and collect all my monies and live better........ya think????? Actually I could collect disability with a pacemaker and seizures........! I have often wondered about that......maybe it is more than I get now.....!!!! But since I obviously can still work, I personally don't feel like I should do that. Sigh!

Generally, SSI or any disability is less than if you retire with Social Security or pension benefits.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to memex9

Hi Betsey:

Dori will be moving 2 miles from me the third week of September.

In the mean time they are living 85 miles away: darn. But is necessary for now.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to oakhills

My cousin who is living in MX gets his US SS deposited to his bank account here. He's a us citizen still

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to Sunnydi

If this forum has always been for "grans", maybe someone knows of another challenge group that could be suggested for this person. I know there are many forums on the Forum Index that are open.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to Sunnydi

• Sunnydi Said:
My cousin who is living in MX gets his US SS deposited to his bank account here. He's a us citizen still

That makes sense...just never thought about how that would work if one retired and moved to another country.

Does an American citizen working in a foreign country pay into the social security program in the US? Is it like a self-employed person here who pays their portion AND the employer's share of the tax?

cdjohnson
Governor
cdjohnson
In response to Sunnydi

Good evening grans!! Well, I cracked a rib at Holiday World and can hardly believe it. The doctor said it would take a few weeks to heal.

Betsey - so sorry about Kyle's fish tank!! How very sad. My sister has fresh water and salt water tanks and I know the money she has invested and how devastated she would be if something happened to them. So, I can sort of relate to his feelings at losing all of them.

Teia - glad you are home safely!! Hope your daughter can find some meds that help her with her RA.

Ann - so happy that your A/C problem was something so simple.

Tish - I love blueberries!!

Di - glad you have fun at the ball game.

Cathe - Sounds like you had fun in the pool today.

Nancy - Hi! I can't remember what I was going to post to you.

Lori - I hope you get power soon and can get in here and let us know you are ok.

I think that is everyone. If I missed someone, I am SORRY!!!

cdjohnson
Governor
cdjohnson
In response to cdjohnson

Di - I think the idea is just to leave the group as it has been and just move it so that Tish and I can post on the first page. Up until now, Annie had been the decision maker on who was let into the thread. ANYONE WANT TO COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU ALL PREFER?

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to oakhills

• oakhills Said:
  • Sunnydi Said:

That makes sense...just never thought about how that would work if one retired and moved to another country.

Does an American citizen working in a foreign country pay into the social security program in the US? Is it like a self-employed person here who pays their portion AND the employer's share of the tax?

I don't know. People working for an American co. abroad I'm sure still pay into SS, etc. My cousin doesn't work now.

And I think we should still be Grans only, also.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to cdjohnson

Cheryl...sorry about the cracked rib. Ouch!!

I too think it should still be Grans only.

tneal40
Diva
tneal40
In response to Sunnydi

Daughter was working in California and communiting to Mexico where she lives. She has a work visa so she can go back and forth and not be on the "radar" of the boarder people. She does not work now cause of the pain. Now she has to go see the "Government" Doctors to get a percentage rate in how much she will be receiving. The poor darling is just beside herself in making sure she has the income coming in before her savings is gone.

tneal40
Diva
tneal40
In response to memex9

• memex9 Said:
  • oakhills Said:

If your an american, working in america.... then yes you can get SSI. She has a special visa that lets her go back and forth since her husband and kids are in Mexico.

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to oakhills

• oakhills Said:
If this forum has always been for "grans", maybe someone knows of another challenge group that could be suggested for this person. I know there are many forums on the Forum Index that are open.

I agree with Ann on this one. It has always since the first day been for Grans. My hope is that it stays that way too!

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to tneal40

• tneal40 Said:
  • memex9 Said:
  • oakhills Said:

If your an american, working in america.... then yes you can get SSI. She has a special visa that lets her go back and forth since her husband and kids are in Mexico.

Ahhhhhh I did not realize that she worked in the U.S,......I get it now. I truly hope she can find some relief with the right meds and all, as I know that is a most painful disease...and I am so sorry for her. Very sad!

I know this is a political type statement, but what would happen to people like her, if there were no governemt programs to provide income to people, through no fault of their own, become disabled???? Especially where there are children involved. I am all for goverment programs to help disabled and children, and elderly, etc....I do, however, think the system has been very abused and many are in those programs who should not be. My dd Karen is on disability. She waited almost two years after the accident that causes this, did NOT want to do this, but she could not work. As a nurse, you have to be able to lift patients, to do things that are not compatible with the days that she just cannot get around due to seizures/ mini brain freezes are a better description........anyway.....she is now teaching CNA school and not earning more than she is allowed(It is a minimum wage very part time job) and very sproadic. When the school has enough people registered, she teaches....if not she does not. Sometimes she does not work for weeks at a time. But she feels so much better now that she is working for pay at something. It's like Social Security.....I can work and make up to $35,000. a year....I think that is the figure at my age....well trust me, I don't even come close. LOL But thank goodness I can do that.....if not I would be living in my car...LOL

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to memex9

Good morning ladies..coffee is on...been up since 6:30,,,,guess I am alone in here....but here is coffee.

The only stormy part in the country, and the only cool party of the country is PNW....so Di and Char......enjoy your cool weather........most of us would love it about now. LOL

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 07-03-12 04:31 AM
In response to scrappin 2

Cathe, Tim is taking Suzanne to his brothers wedding in New Hampshire the 13th and 14th.

All our grandchildren swim like fish, other than Max, and he does not really have a fear of water. In Lisa's pool, he was out way over his head (the deep part) but had the security of some of those floaty things. We made him come back to the shallow end. He can swim a little.

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 07-03-12 04:34 AM
In response to memex9

Good morning to you Betsey! I am up...(as you can see). I got up around 7:10 am, but had the IPAD in hand and really can't type that well on it, so decided to wait until I could get on the computer. (ACD) was on here.

I have to check with Cheryl to see if I can post the new challenge today. I thought she said Tuesday.

Today I am going through clothes and pack some stuff for the salvation army. It is stuff that I just have hated to part with, and yet....I have not worn it for 2-3 years!!!!

What are you doing?

Page 2466 of 2467 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics