Username Post: Shipping to Canada        (Topic#1525167)
mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara

Why is your shipping rate to Canada so high? I prefer to do all my online shopping at SB.com because I use the forums here and consider this my online community, so I like to support it. But in buying things you don't carry at other online stores, I've noticed the shipping rates to Canada are significantly cheaper elsewhere. One of your direct competitors ships in those flat rate boxes for $7.00!!!!

I've experimented with putting different things in my basket and checking the price of shipping, and I can't seem to get shipping down lower than $20 on this site. For example if I buy a little package of chipboard buttons (link below) for 3.99, the shipping is $23!!!

Despite the price, I have still placed several orders here, (usually large, to offset the cost of shipping) mostly out of loyalty, but unfortunately, more and more I'm feeling the need to shop around. There are some things like Therm o web adhesive that I would buy here every time you have it in stock, and I'd probably add a few other things to my basket each time, but I simply can't afford to place big enough orders to offset the cost of shipping any more.

If you could find a way to ship in flat rate boxes I would buy almost everything I use from here, probably placing an order every month or 2. It would be much easier to try a product on a whim after seeing something in the gallery, etc.

(sorry, that was so long... it's been on my mind awhile, lol!)

pcgirl
pcgirl 
Idol
pcgirl
In response to mercytiara

I have to say, as a Canadian scrapper as well, that I agree with the points made above by mercytiara. I am reluctant to buy from the site because of the additional shipping costs (in addition to exchange rate) and I probably would order more if it was more cost effective as I don't have a LSS in the near vicinity.

Amber Boren
Expert
Amber Boren
In response to pcgirl

Hello ladies! We calculate our shipping charges by weight and destination and try to determine the actual shipping fee to charge. Variety of sizes and weight of items we carry make it impossible to offer flat rate shipping as an option. Sorry for this. Please check our coupon/promotion page on our site. Daily special and promotions do help in the overall purchase.

Thanks so much for taking the time to ask.

Lindainsask
New Kid On the Block
Lindainsask
In response to Amber Boren

I agree with the above 2 comments as well. i am in Saskatchewan and the closest scrap store is 3 hours away - one way. I like to do all my shopping online - hate getting dinged with shipping as well as nailed by customs - they nail us on over $50 US.

i am also in a small town and all our shippng comes via UPS - well the only depot is the Hardware, well if you ship from a company to a company address you get nailed and nothing can be sent as a gift... just found that one out to pay more customs!! i did spend hours on the phone and had to have the sender sign and submit a copy... so i didnt have to pay - but stupid!!

I ask everyone who sends to be to have value under $50 and to put it as a Gift! Maybe this is something to help all other countries understand

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to Lindainsask

If a company puts it as a gift, they are the ones committing tax fraud as they are expected to declare the value of the goods they are shipping.

I certainly would not expect them to put it as a gift.

You could look for some Canadian online vendors.

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to corrie fan

Yes, thankfully there are some great Canadian online vendors. There is a thread about them in one of the Canadian forums. So far I haven't found any Canadian sites that have the deals I need when I need them, but there are a number of great US sites that have very reasonable shipping rates to Canada (similar to rates of shipping within Canada), even without declaring it as a gift (something I also would not expect from a vendor although one or two eBay vendors have done it without my knowledge). I just wish the solution to my problem didn't involve shopping elsewhere, as I would like to support the site that I use so much.

ssnow
ssnow 
Expert
ssnow
  • ssnow on 04-07-10 10:45 PM
In response to mercytiara

I'm from Australia and love SB.com for the range and convenience of online shopping. I also like how well packaged everything is when it arrives - my stock has never been damaged and comes quickly. However, I usually pay around $50AUS in postage. I can't really work out what changes the price in postage - I understand that a flat rate would be difficult but often everything I order is very light. I went to place an order recently and postage was $65 - I just couldn't justify it!! It's a shame because I love SB.com and would buy a lot more if shipping was more reasonable. I buy a lot of kids clothes and shoes in the US and postage is never more than $20 - $25. I'm still love SB.com - just can't afford it often!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics