Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: No love for brads?        (Topic#1525523)
mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara

Am I the only one who doesn't like using brads? I love the look of them on a layout, but I just can't seem to get them in the spot I want. I got a big bite because I thought it might help, but it doesn't. I like the look of 3 or more brads all in a line, or going along the edge of a circle, but they never stay put- they float in their holes. If I poke a smaller hole, it alwasy winds up in the wrong spot. I've started just cutting the clips off the backs of them and adhering with glue dots. Anyone else have this trouble, or am I just all thumbs when it comes to brads?

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to mercytiara

It is best to mark where you want them with a pencil and use a paper piercer or push pin to make the holes. I have a cork block that I put under the lo, poke the hole, then insert the brad. the holes that the cropadile's make are really too big for most brads and they will jiggle.

HTH!

TishO
TishO 
Veteran
TishO
  • TishO on 01-18-10 06:55 AM
In response to Manda_K

I love using brads on my layouts. I use a paper piercer to make the holes for them. Don't give up on using them. I would be lost if I didn't have my brads or eyelets on my lo's.

janellie
Diva
janellie
In response to TishO

You can also stick a small piece of tape on the back of them after you open the prongs. Get a ruler that has some small holes (a quilters ruler or the Tim Holtz ruler) to help space your brads. I also use a paper piercer to make my holes with a little foam mat, mouse pad or save the spongy thing that some of the bigger brads come on. It makes a great piercing mat. Don't give up. They really are easy to use.

chlovr07
Resident
chlovr07
In response to TishO

I also use a paper piercer. Just a small hole and no wiggle room.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to chlovr07

I LUV brads! But I'm not an eyelet person. I use either the piercer or the tip of my exacto to make a tiny 'slit'.

I think it's ok to not like everything and to have different favorite things so long as we're still having fun doing it.

KCScrapDiva
Expert
KCScrapDiva
In response to chlovr07

I just use my MM xacto knife to poke a hole - before that, I used my detail scissors to poke a hole. I LOVE using brads and would be lost without them!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 01-18-10 07:24 AM
In response to KCScrapDiva

I love my Karen Foster Click it for brads and eyelets.. I can get them anywhere on a page.
Another easy way to get the placement right is to use a piece of the mats for yarn canvas as a guide.
And if everything isn't perfect on your lo? So what? Go with it!

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 01-18-10 07:59 AM
In response to GMFTS

I echo the others. Use a paper piercer and when in doubt, stick a little piece of tape on the back. Good luck and don't give up!

boysmom
Pro
boysmom
In response to GMFTS

some of the self adhesive pearls give a similar look to brads without the hole punching. Perhaps that might work better for you.

GreenDragonLady
Expert
GreenDragonLady
In response to boysmom

Yup...paper piercer and piercing guide for evenly-spaced straight-line brads!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to GreenDragonLady

I'm addicted to brads!

I'd even go as far as to say that they are the final piece in most of my scrapbooking puzzles!

If it helps in the least, measure once, measure twice...then everything should turn out all pretty, even & nice!

Practice really does make perfect!

HTH!

mn36
mn36 
New Kid On the Block
mn36
  • mn36 on 01-18-10 08:41 AM

You are not alone. I have the same problem so mostly use the beads and bling like "boysmom" suggests.

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to mn36

If they jiggle around, I think either your hole is too big or the back tabs are not pushed down all the way. Turn your layout over and use your paper piercer like a rolling pin over the back of your brad to make sure it's fully extended.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to janellie

• janellie Said:
You can also stick a small piece of tape on the back of them after you open the prongs.

Sometimes I just put tape runner on the back of a scrap and glue that to the back of wobbly brads. hth

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to Jennifer Priest

I use a pin first to make sure the holes are spaced out evenly, then put the brads through. When the brads are in, I then push down on the brad to make sure the backs are completely flat against the back of my layout and so they don't move. I also cover them in sellotape at the back so I don't catch my fingers on them.

Legomom
Expert
Legomom
In response to SuperAllyFan

I ditto everyone here...a paper piercer or tip of my exacto knife is what I use. I've tried hole punches and they are too big mostly.
Also, your ruler is your friend.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Legomom

I like brads, and don't have any trouble with them.

If I'm using just one or two, I typically cut a slit with my X-acto knife.

If I want them all lined up, I will measure, mark with a pencil, and punch holes using my smallest MM anywhere hole punch (or spring punch).

Memaoftwo
Idol
Memaoftwo
In response to Bxr-Linda

When I do a row of three brads I do the outside ones first and then the middle. It makes it easier to ensure they are all streamline and evenly spaced.

Kozy Scraps
Pro
Kozy Scraps

When I am using them in a row or need them lined up right I use a ruler and mark where I want them to be. I use this old pottery tool that I have, I think it is called a needle tool, but do not quote me. I use the to make a small starter hole for my brads. If the hole gets bigger and the brad starts to move, I will use mounting tape to hold in place.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics