Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: best embelishments?        (Topic#1525601)
Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez

I'm trying to decide what embelishment or fun thing to invest in next. I can't afford to be getting tons of stuff so I want to know what do you feel gives your page the biggest bang for the buck? I've thought about brads and fake flowers. I could use some ideas. I do apreciate all ideas.

brandyradio
Expert
brandyradio
In response to Ruthiez

i am a fan of buttons. I have to girls so buttons always come in handy.

klawsonrn
Guru
klawsonrn
In response to brandyradio

There are many, many things you can find around the house that you can use as well......try to look at things in a new way...

clothing you are getting rid of? Take the buttons or sequins or anything off it you can get ...pockets and zippers as well.

Paperclips and other items in your desk? You can use those!

Colored toothpicks?

Embroidery thread can be used for stitching or attaching tags, etc!

Old artificial flowers laying around???take em apart and use them on a lo!

There are so many things around the house or that your friends and family might have laying around....anything that looks like junk...try to think of it in a new way!

kariyava
Pro
kariyava
In response to klawsonrn

I love stickles and liquid pearls because they are a cheap way to make flourishes and other designs.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Ruthiez

I agree with the suggestion to just look around the house. Check your junk drawer.

a couple things to consider are
recycle some of your plastic flowers,
look in your sewing notions or old clothes for buttons, thread, lace, ribbon, etc.
Check the $1 bins, discount stores and craft stores for things that may not have been intended for scrapbooking like inexpensive jewelry.

A few pieces of felt can go a long way...

ang_geo
Resident
ang_geo
In response to Gelidy Gelato

wow, those are all great ideas, somebody should really start a thread about things you can use around your house. That is if someone didnt already start one...

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ang_geo

I love prima flowers,,,,love love LOVE them But I find that by going to the dollar stores and buying on sale at craft stores, I can buy silk flowers by the bunches and cut off the blooms and get a similar look for much less,,,,Go for the smaller flowers, they get crushed less, plus you usually get more on the bunch for less Also, centers can be removed and replaced with buttons for a really cute look! Also, if you buy ribbon on sale, you can easily make ribbon flowers with a needle thread and six inches of ribbon and some sort of center,,,,,either pearls or buttons or brads,,,,gorgeous,,,,,alo t of ribbon comes in 9 feet lengths,,,,,that's 18 flowers!

New Kid On the Block
In response to CommaHolly

Investing in any embellisment can be a big investment. Purchasing embellisment that goes with theme that you are working on save money. Do not buy bunch of(for example) prima flowers for project and later having no used for it.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to bluemusiq

i too need to scrap on a budget. my ideas for embellies are:

at the dollar stores you can buy a stem of artificial flowers for $1. by the time you remove the stem and centers you will end up with around 30 flowers. that is dirt cheap. if you have an old tackle box, plastic shoe box, or one of those plastic divided cases it works great for storage so you can use the rest later on another layout or craft project.

stickles are really cheap. i recently got them for $1 a tube so I got like 4 tubes in colors i will always need (especially my kids school colors)

someone on another thread suggested using cereal boxes as chipboard. great idea. cut the boxes into sheets and store them in page protectors in a recycles 3 ring binder til u are ready to use them. u can make tags, use a cricut, or even just stencils and cut out ur letters for titles or monograms.

check out close out stores for scrap stuff. they might not have it every time you go but when they do u can get a ton of bang for your buck. I live in Ohio and we have Marc's and Ollie's and Rex's. I have bought 12 x 12 name brand albums for as cheap as 1.99 and never more then 5.99. When they get embellies in they are usually less than a buck.

Don't forget to look in other departments of the stores too. i buy my rhinestones and gems in the "kids" department for less than a dollar. when i look in the scrapping section almost the same thing is running 2.99 a pack.

I hope this helps you have money. i wish i had ONE embellie I couldnt live without but it changes with each layout i do. I just try to save money whenever I can and buy a little at a time so i always have something to choose from.

I should mention though, I rarely do single page layouts so my need for large quantities of embellies isnt as great as others. i almost always scrapbook an EVENT and therefore have lots of photos, that cuts down on the need for as many "cutsie" things. by the time i add 5-7 photos, some journaling and a title sometimes i just need a little zing.

angi

Crankylady
Veteran
Crankylady
In response to abbynormaloh75

When I first started I went through all my craft stuff to see what would cross over into scrapbooking. Then I went into every room in the house and started finding stuff, I found old costume jewelry, old watches, took them apart, use the face, arms and crystals. I look at everything differently now, not as what it is, but what it could be. My daughter knits, so she sends me small lengths of special yarns. Tell your friends and family you are into this, they might have things sitting around that they'd love to get rid of too! Buttons, zippers, give everything a look. You can always toss it out if you don't want to try it. And no, I am not a hoarder! lol

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Crankylady

I have listed a few of the links to threads on using unusal and inexpensive items. Some are older but they still have some great ideas like looking at everyday items that you can turn into a stamp like bubble wrap. Which reminds me of the suggestion to make your own stamps out of inexpensive materials
Make your own stamp

threads on Inexpensive or Unusual materials used scrapbooking

Colombean
Guru
Colombean
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I am a brad lover. and buttons. I can't think of any other more versatile embellishment. they center flowers, the make circles and swirls... and cheap.

Oh, and especially if you got presents with tissure paper... it's great crinkled and on chipboard.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Colombean

I love it all! Brads, buttons, flowers, whatever. I would say get a vareity pack, like the ones Bo Bunny has with buttons and bling in them or the Queen & Co or Doodlebug ones with all kinds of stuff in them.

Prima has really taken an approach to help us out with the economy (and I am saying this as a scrapper, not as an instructor for them )

Check out their e line--you can get bling and flowers for under $2. They are coming out with flourishes at CHA too.

I really love the clear and white bling. I invested in about 10 Copic markers, in just basic rainbow colors (red, orange,yellow, etc) and I color all my buttons, brads, etc with these now. I try to buy everything in clear or white and then color it whatever color I need. The Copics are an investment but in the long run, so much cheaper than buying bling in every color.

Another thing you might consider is splitting packs of stuff with a friend or two. You can get a bag of buttons and split them to save money. Plus who needs 1000 green buttons, you know?

Also if you are on a budget, enter contests, challenges and giveaways. You can win tons of stuff this way -- scrapbook.com always has contests going on.

HTH!

Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by Jennifer Priest on 01-21-10 12:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to Jennifer Priest

what are stickles? Also thanks for all the great ideas!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Ruthiez

Stickles are, hands down, the absolute BEST glitter glue in the WORLD,,,,,

they add a bit of sparkle and a bit of dimension to your work,,,,,,,

having said that,,,,I don't use them as much as i thought I would,,,,shrugs,,,,i love them,,,,I just don't find myself using them a whole lot,,,,,but I do love the white ones,,,,,they just add a bit of OOMPH to a LO
Products Referenced in This Post:

planty
planty 
Diva
planty

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/37664/view/ 2565607/-...

cupcake wrapers and pipecleaners do wonders!

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 01-25-10 02:45 PM

I would agree with the stickles recommendation. I also like Glimmer Mist. It is awesome stuff! Grungeboard and chipboard are wonderful too.

Ruthiez
Pro
Ruthiez
In response to CASBa

what is chip board? and wha tdo you do with it?

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 01-26-10 07:33 AM
In response to Ruthiez

Chipboard is like thick cardboard (think cereal box material). You can buy it in sheets or pre-cut into shapes. Then you can cover it in paper, ink, glimmer mist, paint, etc. It give great dimension to your projects. Grungeboard is a lot like it, but more flexible. I actually like grungeboard better.

The flourishes on this lo are chipboard with glimmer mist on them
Grandma's Birthday By Cschissell

On this one all the circles are chipboard covered in pp
in 2010 I will finish what I started By Cschissell

The butterflies on this one are grungeboard. I inked and glimmer misted them

Wedding Party By Cschissell

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to CASBa

check out your lss. i found bo bunny cardstock stickers for 50 cents a sheet at mine the other day. and she is ordering me any color of stickles that i need. she didn't have black (and i really need it), so she ordered it and that was the first time i had been to that store.

the one i added wasn't the one that i bought, but it was close.

Edited by flutterbye0419 on 01-26-10 07:45 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics