Username Post: Help! I'm afraid of rub-ons!        (Topic#1526917)
JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss

I would like to start using rub-ons on my layouts, but I'm so afraid of messing them up. (It stems from my childhood and bad experiences with rub-on stickers which apparently have scarred me for life LOL.) Any suggestions on how I can get over my fear? I'm thinking a good first step would be starting with small, not-so-detailed rub-ons; am I right about this? I've seen some beautiful rub-ons, particularly faith-themed ones, and I'd love to start using them, but I don't want to end up with messed up layouts. TIA!
~Jen

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 02-01-10 12:08 AM
In response to JenKoss

Oh I can fully relate! I had an amazing fear of them until some Bo Bunny rub-ons came in a kit that I received. I love them!!I found them to be so easy to "rub on" that I could not believe I had not used them before! What I did to ease my fear was to practice on a couple duplicate pics... this really helped!

Edited by Foamy on 02-01-10 12:08 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Foamy

I somewhat have the same fears, but not so much after only purchasing brands that one can trust!

(As not every brand is alike!)

I'd first check the reviews in the Superstore, before taking the rub-on plunge!

More in care of rub-ons

HTH!

p.s. Fancy Pants is a tried & true that you can trust!

Also, be sure to search other post entitled rub-ons. Temperature & heat also many times comes into play for some rub-on products!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to KellyCali

the first rub-ons I had were AWFUL. they totally did NOT rub (by the way, don't bother buying rub-ons from oriental trading company). so I never wanted to use them, but then I found some good ones, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them! ditto on fancy pants being good ones. basic grey is also pretty good, and hambly. jenni bowlin's ok, but seemed to rub off to easily on the backing.

have fun!

GreenDragonLady
Expert
GreenDragonLady
In response to Tina scraps

Stampin' Up has good ones, too.

Make sure you cut out the rubon completely that you want to use, so you don't accidentally transfer some of another one. I press it in place a little first, then use my applicator. I peel slowly in case there's a bit that hasn't transferred, then I can rub it again with the applicator.

If you have some old or dried out rubons you can try hitting it with a little heat from your heat gun.

mojosmaddy
Guru
mojosmaddy
In response to GreenDragonLady

You can also warm them up in your hand prior to rubbing on....that helps.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to mojosmaddy

No reason to be afraid of anything!!

Some rubons are better than others though, I recommend, Maya Road, Bo Bunny, Basic Grey Olio, 7G and Prima.

I love Heidi Swapp, but avoid the rubons!

I cut the rubon I want out of the sheet so I don't have to worry about messing us the other ones on the sheet.

Lay it where you want and gently rub! You can tell if it is comning off, sometimes the backing will curl up, sometimes, you can see a slight color change under the backing, so you know it is sticking. Lift up the backing really gently, if you missed a spot, put it back down and rub a little more!

Have fun!

scrappycath
Queen
scrappycath
In response to Manda_K

Great advice!

rtay
rtay 
Mayor
rtay
  • rtay on 02-01-10 05:25 AM
In response to scrappycath

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE rub-ons..and for the most part they are good...sometimes you will get a bad batch...but most of them are good, and there is no need to be afraid...you can always cover a mistake up by adding another type of embellie.
Give them a shot!

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to rtay

As other have said cut the one you want to use away from the rest of the sheet. After rubbing it completely with the applicator, very slowly peel the paper off your surface. That way you will be able to see if you have missed totally rubbing the design onto the surface and you can complete it.

So don't be afraid of them, they are fun and leave a beautiful finish to your projects.

kenyagrl
Tenant
kenyagrl
In response to dotfree

Using a rub-on tool really helps too. Basic Grey makes a good one.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to kenyagrl

There is also the little rub.on eraser that works VERY well!! There are 2 out there that i know of- i have the xyron one and they are only a few bucks.

LuvThisScrap
Diva
LuvThisScrap
In response to ChansGram

Yep, everyone's right and also I used to be afraid of Fancy Pants rubons because I couldn't get them to rub on right, seemed like the harder I pressed, the worse it got.. Realized that (in my experience), the lighter I press with FP rubons, the easier they go on Just takes practice!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to LuvThisScrap

You can take them back off with scotch tape if you mess up.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Manda_K

Great suggestions so far.

The best piece of advice is to cut out your design before rubbing on. Don't try to rub on only a portion of the sheet-- most times you'll get more than you want!

And, I have used an adhesive eraser to remove a rub-on that didn't work.

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to Bxr-Linda

Thank you all for the great advice. I'm kind of excited to buy some rub-ons to try now. LSS - here I come LOL!
~Jen

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to JenKoss

I'll echo the statement that not all rub-ons are created equal. I like a couple companies, but I have the best luck with Basic Gray rub ons.

ehammann
Veteran
ehammann
In response to Manda_K

Wow... never knew about the scotch tape trick! Awesome! You learn something every day...

And to the OP...never be afraid... remember the famous scrapbookers quote, "there are no mistakes in scrapbooking, only opportunities for embellishing!"

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics