Username Post: My Cricut won't turn on!!!!        (Topic#1527013)
shae516
Guru
shae516

ACK!! It does nothing, repeat NOTHING when I hit the power button. I've tried different outlets, taken the cartridge out, unplugging EVERYTHING and it's not working. Grrrrrr......

Any suggestions? I've already emailed Provo Craft, but it could take up to 3 days.

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut
In response to shae516

I just saw something yesterday on resetting your cricut. I will try to find it and get back to you!

mgl628
mgl628 
Resident
mgl628
In response to crazycricut

How long have you had it? What about taking it back where you got it and exchanging it?? Or getting your money back?? Unless you have had it a really long time. Most stores have a 90 day return policy.

shae516
Guru
shae516
In response to mgl628

Lynn, I've seen those reset instructions, but that's if the machine will turn on.

I've had it for a little over a year. DH got it from eBay, so no returns for me. I do think that it turned on at some point over night. I didn't have a chance to check it this morning, but will when I get home.

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to shae516

Try calling PC. I hear of ladies calling and getting wonderful service on the phone but not so much by email. I have no suggestions on how to get it to turn on myself. So sorry your baby is sick.

Resident
In response to sweet1

I would definately call PC. They NEVER answer their e-mails but are very helpful on the phone. Good luck

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 02-02-10 06:51 AM
In response to nurse73

Which cricut do you have?

shae516
Guru
shae516
In response to Tivi

I actually did get an email response today! They said they needed a little more information and asked me to call CS. I tried again this afternoon and it did turn on. Maybe it was going on strike from being used so much!

Thanks for the advice and help!

New Kid On the Block
In response to shae516

Hi,

I have the same problem with my cricut, just suddenly stopped working. I've used it more this year but by no means has it been over used. It's 2 years old. Customer service told me that there's nothing they can do since it's past the 1 year warranty, then suggested I call some sewing machine repair shops. I've done that and have had no luck. Just wondering if you've had any luck getting yours to work again.

Thanks!

Anne

cporter
Pro
cporter
In response to apancost

Mine just did the same thing. Its the old Cricut, I've had it for almost 3 years. I used it a little just a few days ago. All of sudden it just won't turn on. I'm holding out hope that it will turn on eventually, but it's just the weirdest thing.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to cporter

Did you reset it? There are instructions on the cricut web site. I cant remember all of the steps, but you make sure all of the dials are on the lowest setting. I know you turn it on without a cart, move the housing unit (cutting) over to the side and push the red button. Move the unit back. move each dial (pressure, speed, size) up and down three times. Let the cricut sit for about 30 mins and hopefully it works.

Ms Jackie
Diva
Ms Jackie
In response to HisGEM

At Christmas I had some what the same problem. I did the reset button. You have to move the housing where you blade goes. and there is a red button inside the right hand area, you have to look for it.

Nothing that I had read, helped. I called PC, and they ended up sending to reconditioned one. However, it turned out being my cord. But PC, replaced the machine. The only reason I know, they just wanted the machine, nothing else, and I plugged in the old cord, and had the some problem. Then I plugged in the new cord, and it worked.

I have had to call PC a few times, and they have always been very happy. Oh, my machine was one of the first ones that come out. They do stand behind their machines.

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to Ms Jackie

I had the same problem and resetting didn't help. It was my cord also. The cord had come loose in the middle in the bar that connects the cords. If that makes sense. i unplugred it and pluged it back on and it worked fine.

ZeeB 
New Kid On the Block
  • ZeeB on 07-11-11 07:15 PM
In response to andrea m

I'm not a scrapbooker, but wanted to post this somewhere so others might benefit. (I like solving problems/puzzles)

I just purchased a Cricut Expression CHEAP. It was pretty much brand new, looks as though it had been used once or twice. It would not Power on. Checked the voltage of the Power Supply, it was fine, green power light came on. I saw online that lots of people have had this issue, where is suddenly won't do ANYTHING.
I found at least one solution:
With the unit plugged in, put a little downward pressure on the power connector at the back of the Cricut. Now try turning it on. You may have to apply a little light pressure down, and HOLD IT while trying the power button.
Did it come on?

If it did, read farther.

I took the unit apart, and found that the cheap DC Power adapter at the back of the unit is soldered to the board with three connections. One of them had snapped between the board and the inside of the adapter plug. (I suspect from being plugged in or unplugged. I see many users travel with them, etc) Pressing down on it caused the two parts to touch and power came on.
Using a soldering gun and a desoldering tool, I detached the connector, and raised the broken connector up a little higher. Reseated the connector into the board, and resoldered it, making sure the solder bonded the two broken halves of the pin.
Now it works like a charm.

I know most are not going to do this themselves, but perhaps you know someone who will do it for you. It cost me the price of some desoldering braid and about 2" of electrical solder.

If you found that this is/was also your problem, please drop me a line so I know I helped someone out.

New Kid On the Block
In response to ZeeB

You at least helped me figure out the problem with mine! It definitely works when I wiggle around the power cord in the back. I'll have to see if my brother can help me fix it. Thanks!

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to emmelynsj

I had a similar problem where my cricut wouldn't turn on and when dh unplugged the cord from the back the middle came out of the adapter. I called PC the next day and they are sending my a replacement cord free of charge. I am hoping that is the only problem. I've had my bug for quite some time now and I don't know if I have the to replace it.

Good luck!

Bug4115
Resident
Bug4115
In response to Vallee

try getting a new power cord from radio shack. look at the voltage and what it needs or some kind of store that sells electronics or cricut parts

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics