Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Organising Embellishments        (Topic#1527377)
Cica
Cica 
Pro
Cica
  • Cica on 02-05-10 01:44 AM

Hi Guys,

Just trying to get ideas, how do you organise your embellishments, by theme, type colour??? And in what do you store them?
Thanks.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Cica

I've been reorganizing my embellies these past 3 days, so this question comes right at the perfect timing!

Here's my newest system!

Alpha Chipboard - Sorted by letter, in clear jars & or organizational drawers

{A - Alpha Storage} By KellyCali

Alpha Stickers - Sorted on a jump ring, hung on an organizational rack

{A - Alphas} By KellyCali

Bling - Mixed, in a clear glass jars

{B - Bling} By KellyCali

Brads - Sorted by color, in clear spice jars

{B - Brads} By KellyCali

{B - Brads} By KellyCali

Buttons - Sorted by color, in clear jars

{B - Buttons} By KellyCali

{B - Buttons} By KellyCali

Chipboard - Sorted by color, in clear jars

{C - Chipboard} By KellyCali

Flowers - Sorted by color, in a clear jars

Ribbons - Sorted by color, in clear jars. Also, spun onto craft sticks & colored pins, stored in teacups

Ribbon remnants - Sorted by color, in clear plastic ornament orbs

Stickers - by theme, on hanging rings

(Note: I'll have *even more* pictures throughout the month! On that note, please be sure to check back!)

Cica
Cica 
Pro
Cica
  • Cica on 02-05-10 03:36 AM
In response to KellyCali

Thanks, this gives me some ideas. I would love to see your scraproom pics. Let me know when they're up.
xxx

heynow
heynow 
Pro
heynow
In response to Cica

Theme.....

Christmas, Halloween, Kids, Sports, Flowers, etc...

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn
In response to heynow

I have a jetmax cube from M's that is divided inton 16 squares, then I have empty yogart cups in them with a lot of my embellies seperated by item in each cup. I am overflowing tho and need to add something else.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to tinadn

I put my large brads and misc embelishments in little compartment containers meant for screws etc. They are sorted by color and holiday is separate. I have a picture but its not a close up I will take some tonight. Flowers are sorted by color in clear jars and metal tins in my MM Embelishment centre, I also keep large spools of ribbon here. Smaller ribbons are wrapped around 2 x 3 cards and are sorted by color in a drawer. For adhesive rhinestones and pearls I keep those in a binder. Small brads are in two bead containers (they look like tic tac boxes). Loose rhinestones are in another box sorted by color and shape.

I really need to stop buying stuff, I do use it but writing this down makes me realize how much I have. I like this method because I know where everything is and when you label things they are so easy to find. I find having stuff sorted by color works for me because I used to have it sorted by type but thats not how I scrap.

Edited by CorrieW on 02-05-10 06:40 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 02-05-10 06:33 AM
In response to tinadn

alpha letters in small sterilite drawers
chipboard shapes in bigger sterilite drawers
a few things by themes but mainly by color into "bins". I found cardboard parts bins online for 86 cents for 6 x 12 and 1.00 for 12 x 12. Each bin has a crystal light container covered in contact paper and holes punched in the lid with ribbon in it and at least one clear, divided embellishment box with buttons, brads, eyelets, paperclips, embroidery thread and other small misc. embellishments in it.

There are pictures in my gallery. I just redid everything over New Year's. My mom and dad gave me new flooring and shelving for Christmas and hubby bought me the bins and some misc things to finish it up.......I LOVE it!!!

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 02-05-10 06:37 AM
In response to CorrieW

• CorrieW Said:
I put my large brads and misc embelishments in little compartment containers meant for screws etc. They are sorted by color and holiday is separate. I have a picture but its not a close up I will take some tonight. Flowers are sorted by color in clear jars and metal tins in my MM Embelishment centre, I also keep large spools of ribbon here. Smaller ribbons are wrapped around 2 x 3 cards and are sorted by color in a drawer. For shinestones and pearls I keep those in a binder. Small brads are in two bead containers (they look like tic tac boxes). Rhinestones are in another box sorted by color and shape.

I really need to stop buying stuff, I do use it but writing this down makes me realize how much I have. I like this method because I know where everything is and when you label things they are so easy to find. I find having stuff sorted by color works for me because I used to have it sorted by type but thats not how I scrap.

sorting through all my stuff helped me get a handle on my buying addiction!!! Now, if I want to go on a shopping spree....I can quickly look through all my stuff and easily tell if I'm low on red stuff or camping stuff......whatever!! Another thing I do to help keep from losing stuff I buy for a certain project.....I keep clipboards with a list of each album I'm working on and the layouts I want to do in that album. If I buy a set of something specific for that book, I hand it behind the clipboard for that album.......works like a charm!! If I get more stuff than the clip will hold....I know which album I need to work on next!!! Pictures of my clipboards and clips are in my gallery as well....although I get more comments on my cat in the picture than my system of organization

heynow
heynow 
Pro
heynow
In response to j3Mel

Oh yeah, all my letters, chipboard and other letters that aren't sticky are in a tool bin with pull out drawers that you sort screws in. They are in alphabetical order.... that took a long time... did it while I was watching TV.

iuplori
Guru
iuplori
In response to heynow

I'm gonna copy Kelly's list...

Alpha chipboard- randomly tossed in a box (I need to work on this)
Bling -
Brads -
Buttons -All in clear plastic storage with mini compartments
Chipboard - In a small cabinet
Flowers - also randomly tossed in a box
Ribbons -in plastic box
Stickers - by theme, in a PSB

johnsusan8
Diva
johnsusan8
In response to iuplori

Most of my things are in canvas drawers in my Scrapbox or Minibox by type of item. If it gets too cumbersome, I divide them up in some manner in smaller canvas drawers.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Cica

• Cica Said:
Thanks, this gives me some ideas. I would love to see your scraproom pics. Let me know when they're up.
xxx

Just letting you know that I've since updated about half the pics from the list that we discussing from this past week!

With that in mind, please know that there are yet even more to come!

Updating as we speak!

HTH!

Matthews Wife
Expert
Matthews Wife
In response to KellyCali

croMy husband gave me this for Christmas, It is now full. I love it. It has two sides and it is great for taking to crops.

Cropper Hopper Embellishment Box By Matthews Wife

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to Matthews Wife

I just bought an embellies storage container from close to my heart. you put the embellies in little plastic jars, and fit it into the case. its convenient because I sometimes travel on public transportation when going to a crop, and don't want to bring the whole case, so I can pull out the couple of colors I want, which is easier.

that being said,the jars aren't very big, so they're not good for all embellies, mostly brads, eyelets, and really small stuff. wouldn't be able to fit many buttons in there!

organizing is not one of my strong suits, especially since I rarely put anything away after I come back from a crop. so I preface the following list by saying that's where it *should* be

ribbon - rolled on ribbon wraps and in plastic box
rub-ons - in binder
buttons - in plastic box with compartments
chipboard shapes - in drawer in jetmax cube
thickers/chipboard letters - in drawers
rubber stamps - organized by theme, in boxes
clear stamps - in page protectors in binder
ink pads - in plastic box, on shelf
punches - in box, on shelf
paper - randomly thrown in Iris cases

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to KellyCali

Kelli, your room must be very pretty & colorful!

My room "looks" very organized, what with all kinds of labels and shelving, but it has so many different "systems" that it would drive somebody mad were she to try to come in and find something. However, I'll list my methods, in case one or more works for somebody.
Themes that are done regularly, for which I have many supplies & embellies have labeled pizza boxes (not used for pizze prior).
Themes that are less frequent but still large are in labeled, sturdy, office-supply accordian files.
Random alphabets are in a hardware store 25-drawer nail storage pull-out drawer box, with a drawer for each letter (couple combined).
I have store-style racks for cardstocks that don't fit a theme--2 sit side-by-side, so that plain and patterned of the same color are next to each other.
Iris cases (those clear drawer racks) hold adhesives, embossing powders, ribbons, & ink pads.
An over-the-door hanging rack with clear pockets holds small punches.
2 Sheets of pegboard hold product that I want to keep in view because of I haven't used it yet.
A strip of wood with nails holds templates, a brayer, rulers, dustmasks, and graphic tapes.
1-Inch wide shelves that my sister mounted for me hold my favorite, wood-mounted rubber stamps, as well as some small bottles of products such as glazes.
Large shelves hold markers, idea books, photo boxes, and tools.
Small plastic boxes with divider tabs hold small quantities of embellishements like colored paper clips, mirror tiles, adhesive buttons, and things that would otherwise get lost in the shuffle (filed alphabetically).
Sorry so long, hope any of these ideas help!

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to GemGirl

Chipboard- in a drawer of a wide rolling cart
Bling - in a drawer of a hardware organizer I got for Christmas
Brads - bead box
Buttons - plain buttons are sorted by color in baby food jars. Fancier ones are in a bead box
Flowers - in recycled clear plastic jars; nicer ones are in the hardware organizer
Ribbons - sorted by color in recycled clear jars
Stickers - by theme in a PSB
alpha stickers - stored in page protectors in two 3" binders, sorted by color
Metal & acrylic embellishments - sorted by theme in the hardware organizer

My husband gave me something similar to this organizer for Christmas. Mine is taller with a lot of different size drawers. I think he got it at Home Depot.

Cica
Cica 
Pro
Cica
  • Cica on 02-08-10 02:42 AM
In response to KellyCali

• KellyCali Said:
  • Cica Said:
xxx

Just letting you know that I've since updated about half the pics from the list that we discussing from this past week!

With that in mind, please know that there are yet even more to come!

Updating as we speak!

HTH!

This is all so gorgeous, can you tell me where you got those round orbs from?
Thanks.

Cica
Cica 
Pro
Cica
  • Cica on 02-08-10 02:43 AM
In response to Cica

Thanks guys, all so overwhelming, gonna have to sit down and go through my options!

ibkristykat
New Kid On the Block
ibkristykat
In response to Cica

• Cica Said:
Hi Guys,

Just trying to get ideas, how do you organise your embellishments, by theme, type colour??? And in what do you store them?
Thanks.

So far as *Embellishments* go, I store most in jars or other such things I've hoarded & washed.
For the prima flowers (or other brands of flowers) I keep them in large Ovaltine jars (take the label off and wash the jars obviously). I sorted them by "sets" they originally came in.

For brads & eyelets, I get the little tiny ziplock baggies you get in the jewelry sections at the store - I organize them by color in each baggie; then in a little organizer I got in the hardware section of the store, I keep them tucked in there. I've got a lot and am thinking of upgrading to a drawer unit.
So far as "other" embellishments, I use - believe it or not- Prescription Pill bottles!! My dad's sick, so I have them by the dozen - 3 different sizes too! The extra large ones are great for Gromlets, larger charms by BlueMoon, and even hoarded FORTUNES from Fortune Cookies!! lol

I use my label maker (clear) to mark the bottles in case I can't tell what I'm looking (by the off chance I'm blind! lol). Other than that I use the tins some cocoa mix came in and the tins some Prima Flowers came in too - used for glass gems, buttons (colored) and then 1 just for white buttons.
I have a stacking bin (small) sort of set up for the majority of those embellishments. Then there's another hardware department small organizer for bling & confetti type attachments. I have extra stray ribbons in a "take out box" type of thing I got @ Christmas, so they don't get squashed in a baggie and I have no ribbon iron, so. There are little jars (very small) that I got makeup or something like that in for small embellishments.

I've re-used a clam-clasp type clear box from a package of gold brads in the office supply store - used now for an assortment of beads I'm willing to only use as charms on mini's, etc.

Edited by ibkristykat on 02-11-10 12:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ibkristykat

wow, somem really fancy embellishment storage here, lol,

mine is far more simple

I have a home made clip it up that is HUGE that I made with a quilt rack,,,,

I use gallon size and quart size zip lock bags that I clip with clips to rings so that they slide easily on the rack,,,,,I can easily get 40 bags if not more on this rack,and in the middle I can hang all my templates by simply punching a hole in the corner and putting a ring through it,,,,

so all my plastic colored buttons in one bag

silver buttons in another bag
gold in another bag
eyelets in another bag
brads in another bag
ribbons in 2 bags
alpha chipboard in 4 bags depending on color
chipboard shapes in another
diecut shapes in another
stickers in 3 bags separated by theme
pearls and crystals in another bag
lace in another bag
glue/adhesive in another bag
one bag especially for items I use for distressing and and vintage LO's
holiday embellies in another bag

I could go on,can't remember them all (I'm not at home),but you get the idea,,,,

Most of my tools and stamps and punches I keep in a cabinet with the paper on the lower shelves in the cabinet,

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics