Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: 2 pg LO addict        (Topic#1527507)
scharnack
Veteran
scharnack

Hello, my name is Sam and I'm a 2 page Layout addict. This is where you all say "Hi Sam!"
Seriously, I have been scrapping for more than 10 years now (zoinks) and I have only done 3 layouts that weren't 2 page lo's. Does anyone else have this or am I just a crazy person? I love the way it looks in my albums and it makes sense since I generally take a billion pictures but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions to making 2 one page layouts look cohesive or any thoughts on turning 1 page layouts that I use for inspiration into 2 pg lo's? Thanks!

raindancer
Governor
raindancer
In response to scharnack

I've never made a 1- pg LO. All of my LOs are 2 pg.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to raindancer

I am as left brained as it goes. When I do one page layouts they have to have coordinating papers on both sides, or I feel as if I decorated one room in Asian inspired design and the other in Southwestern design.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to 950nancy

Hi Sam! I like doing 2-page LO's; but really only think to do them for major events/holidays/parites, etc. I'm with 950nancy; I do like to have facing pages similar.

Oh, hey! There are a couple challenges you might like each month on these boards! One is for a 2 Page Sketch; hosted by KimKV. The other is only titled 2 Page LO; and I'm afraid I don't know more about that one. Check 'em out. You'd likely rock 'em each month!

scharnack
Veteran
scharnack
In response to MommaSaid

... and exhale. Thank GOD I'm not the only one! Oddly it feels better being a weirdo when there are other weirdo's around... uh not that you girls are weirdo's or anything but you get what I mean.
Anne, thanks for the challenge ideas. I'll be sure to check them out. Now I'm off to take a look at your galleries.

Any more thoughts are greatly appreciated.

cpowife
Mayor
cpowife
In response to scharnack

I am a 2 page scrapper also. I am trying to start a critque group for 2 page scrappers if anyone is interested. it is on this site under critique groups.

scharnack
Veteran
scharnack
In response to cpowife

Stacey, I replied to that thread but I'll say it again: I am totally in! I'm getting ready to upload some of my LO's so I'd love anyones comments or cc.
Thanks!

iuplori
Guru
iuplori
In response to scharnack

I'm all about the two pagers two. It feelslike there's so much more room literaaly and figuratively for creativity

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 02-06-10 06:41 PM
In response to iuplori

I love doing 2 pagers when I have enough photos!

PammiRCreations
Idol
PammiRCreations
In response to ELynn

I agree totally. I do tend to always buy two pages of paper I like. That way stuff always matches. I love balance.

stephie056
Veteran
stephie056
In response to PammiRCreations

I'm a 2 page scrapper.. i need to be I take way to many photos

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to stephie056

I am a 2 pg LO scrapper also. Just don't like to see non matching event side by side in my books. I also take too many photos to just do one single page or even worse, a single photo per LO!

scharnack
Veteran
scharnack
In response to Shutterbugg

The funniest thing about this is that lately I've been scrapping my lo's with different background papers but they coordinate... I'm not sure if that means I'm growing or if I'm regressing. Either way I like what I'm coming up with.

I'm excited about a 2 page group!

iuplori
Guru
iuplori
In response to scharnack

I've been attempting to do single page LO's lateley, because that's been the trend and i just wanted to try, but really, I sooooo prefer the look of the 2 pagers.

godschild94
Governor
godschild94
In response to iuplori

Okay, I know this is kinda long but this is what I do to make my 2-pagers flow/match.

I love to do 2 page layouts and I actually find them easier to do than a single page because I have more room to let the layout flow and feel more balanced.

My favorite way to make a layout balanced and flow together is to use sketches. There are a ton of 2-page sketches on the net…my favorite is PageMaps. These are great because all of the design and balance issues are usually already taken care of and you just plug in your pictures, patterned papers and embellishments to create a great layout. Another great source for inspiration are others’ layouts here at sb.com…whenever I come across a double page layout that I really like on here, I bookmark it and use it for inspiration. Remember to look at the shapes and the flow of the layout instead of just looking at a layout as a holiday theme or a travel layout. You can draw out the elements of the layout on paper if that helps and save these sketches for inspiration.

Some of the tips I have picked up as I have worked on my 2 page layouts are:
-the easiest way I have found to achieve balance on a layout is the “visual triangle” rule. What it is is simply placing your embellishments or accents in 3 spots on your layout, so that if you were to draw a line between the embellishments, you would form a triangle. One key to this working on a two page layout is making sure you have at least one point of the triangle on each page. This helps your viewer’s eye move around the pages and gives you the sense of balance. Let me illustrate this point with a few examples.

Huntington Sunken Gardens By Godschild94
On this layout, I formed a visual triangle with the flower clusters. If you were to draw a line from one cluster of flowers to another you would form the triangle shape.

Zoo Crew By Godschild94
Another way to form a visual triangle is with shapes. On this layout my visual triangle is formed with the small square shapes. Your eye first sees the two square photos on the top left of the layout and then it moves to the grid of squares on the other page, then finally back to the patterned paper squares on the bottom of the left side of the layout. You can also form visual triangles with photos or even words (my favorite is to make a triangle out of my title, journaling, and date spot. So you could end up with multiple visual triangles on your layout and each one helps balance out and tie your layout together.

-Another favorite is to use strips to tie your layout together and help your pages flow together. This is also a good way to use patterned paper on your layout when you only have one piece of a patterned paper. I find myself using this technique a lot.

Beach Bums By Godschild94
On this layout there are a lot of strips going across my layout covering both pages. This helps tie the pages together and gives you the look of one long page instead of 2 distinct pages.

Blasting Off for Disney Fun By Godschild94

Although this layout just has one small strip at the top connecting the two pages, the layout flows and has a cohesive look.

Labor Day BBQ By Godschild94
This layout has vertical strips and by repeating the same strips on each side of the layout it really draws your eye to the center of the layout and the photos.

And finally please feel free to stop by my gallery and scraplift any page you see…I have a ton of 2 pagers and you will be able to see many of these techniques in use. Also leave me a message on my page if you have any questions.

I would also love to join a 2 page group because I agree that even with these tips, sometimes it is difficult to tackle a 2 page layout.

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty
In response to iuplori

Lately I've done some one pagers...but I started out doing 2 pagers when I first got addicted to scrapping, and with all the photos I take and all the photos I want to scrap, 2 pagers are the norm for me.

scharnack
Veteran
scharnack
In response to Scrapkaty

Wow Janeen, thanks for that! It's hard for me to figure out why I like what I like but I think you might have hit the nail on the head. Imbalance really freaks me out so that must be it. I'll have to start scanning the galleries for 2 pg lo's.

Katy I know what you mean. I've tried to do the one pagers but there's not much creativity flow that way for me. Plus, like stephie056, I take so many pics I'm always trying to get them all in.

You know, now that I'm thinking about it, I do one page lo's when I scrap digitally. Bizarre!

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 02-06-10 09:01 PM
In response to scharnack

I like to take one page sketches and stretch them into two pagers.

sometimes I flip the page and make them mirror images. sometimes I flip them upside down. Sometimes I take a sketch that is sketched for one page and make a block of pictures and stretch the sketch across two pages.

Check out the link in my siggy to the Lots of Pics Scrappin' Chicks. We are predominately two page layout kinda gals. I do a mix of layouts now. My personal ones are generally 2 pagers but I also scrapbook my niece and nephews pics and a lot of times their mom only takes one or two pictures of their antics so I have had to adjust

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to j3Mel

If you don't like imbalance then sketches are definitely the way to go. I stretch single page sketches alot. I switch between single and double pages. One way to solve the problem of having facing pages that don't match AND having too many pics is to use a divided sheet protector between the facing pages and fill that with photos. Then you just have photos facing that single page. Or you can decorate one or two of the 4x6 openings on the page protector with patterned paper to match the facing page. HTH

cpowife
Mayor
cpowife
In response to Jennifer Priest

Here is the link for the 2 page layout group we are trying to start if anyone is interested.

www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/1527501/post...

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics