Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: where are all the other pictures??        (Topic#1527753)
Susan D
Tenant
Susan D

What do you do with all the pictures you have that you don't put into a scrapbook? I have a ton and they are all in photo boxes, organized by date and event. There are all worth looking at, but there are just too many to scrap! I would like to see them all in photo albums with sleeve pages. What albums do you use? Where do you buy them - store or online shop? Thanks soooo much!!

Edited by Susan D on 02-09-10 12:37 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

nancyhyland
Idol
nancyhyland
In response to Susan D

I suggest putting them in albums, just the plain photo albums where you slide them in. you could slide in a 4x6 card with the event name and date and just a few details.

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to nancyhyland

I keep most of them in a photo box and some get framed to go around the house. I only keep two photo albums -- one with photos from trips (right now it's got my trip to Ireland, but once I finish scrapping hubby's trip to Norway the remainder of the photos will go in it, labeled time/date/place) and the other with photos of my husband's and his family's racing. That pretty well makes me/us happy.

Also, some companies make photo sleeves you can put right into your scrapbooks. Check out what I've linked below.

scrappin 2
Governor
scrappin 2
In response to CMLeach

Congrats Chris on the upcoming addition to your family.Little boys are fun.
I am a big fan of We Are Memory Keepers albums and page protectors. I discovered tho that in my new 12x12 album that the protectors are a little larger than my older album by WMK.

Legomom
Expert
Legomom
In response to scrappin 2

I keep some in boxes, like those that are good but just didn't make the cut for the albums. However to be honest, I throw a lot away. I have had to clean out 3 relatives households after they died and since then have been particular on what I keep. I don't want my sons to have to go through what I have. I lost a year of my life for each relative (one of which was my dad) with the task of their house, pitching, sorting, etc... I made a vow I would never let anyone go through that with me.
So I keep some good photos, I sort them out and divide them up between the 3 boys. They each have photo boxes where I store photos for them to have. The rest I either give to relatives we don't see much and pitch the rest.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to Legomom

I've been scanning all my old negatives the last few years so I keep everything digital where I can view them at anytime. All my old prints that are not scrapped are in boxes. There are thousands, so putting them in albums isn't really feasible.

Sparky003
Guru
Sparky003
In response to photo_chick

• photo_chick Said:
I've been scanning all my old negatives the last few years so I keep everything digital where I can view them at anytime. All my old prints that are not scrapped are in boxes. There are thousands, so putting them in albums isn't really feasible.

Ditto. All my pictures are on my computer and external hard drive, even childhood pictures including mine, my parents, my husband's and all my geneaology pictures are digital. Any old pictures that I haven't scrapbooked are in 4 or 5 albums. My cousin sends me pictures of my god-son & daughter and any that aren't scrapbooked go into a photo box.

LMM831
LMM831 
Resident
LMM831
In response to Sparky003

I am like you and right now they are in boxes. But now you are making me think about what I should do with them. I am so far behind.

snap2scrap
Resident
snap2scrap
In response to LMM831

I am organizing all my photos too, literally thousands of them. I am taking them out of old photo albums because after 20 years the pages are turning yellow which probably isnt a good thing fo rmy pics. so I have them in plastic sterlite 4x6 boxes sorted by event/person. the last 5 years or so I have also been storing them on disc

lifeinthefastlane
Diva
lifeinthefastlane
In response to Susan D

• Susan D Said:
What do you do with all the pictures you have that you don't put into a scrapbook? I have a ton and they are all in photo boxes, organized by date and event. There are all worth looking at, but there are just too many to scrap! I would like to see them all in photo albums with sleeve pages. What albums do you use? Where do you buy them - store or online shop? Thanks soooo much!!

I only print what I scrap- I dont scrap every pic I take, but I do burn every pic onto a CD. For my pre-digi days I am scanning and scrapping them (I do digi only) and then will give away the originals to friends and family that may want them. (Again, I will burn them all onto CDs as well)

CarrieBH
Veteran
CarrieBH
In response to lifeinthefastlane

I don't keep photos I don't scrap, and I scrap the originals (GASP!!!!!!)

I figure if they are worthy of being in a scrapbook, there is no point to storing them in another album or box. That just seems silly to me. Why scrap them at all, then? (Rhetorical Question.)

If pictures aren't good enough to scrap, I toss them. (But someone might want them someday!!!!) People who want the pictures are going to want the pics in my scrapbooks, not the crappy, unfocused, over-exposed and/or duplicates I may have. For that reason, I try not to crop pictures with funny edges or into shapes, and I don't put embellishments on top of the pictures. I adhere pictures so they can be removed--just a bit of adhesive to make them stick, rather than a roll so they NEVER EVER fall out--and scanned. (But someone might want the extra copies!!!!) If the pics are of other people, I give the unwanted or duplicates to that person to store when I'm done with a page. Think of it as a free "bank deposit box" in case of a fire. The same goes with negatives.

If there are pictures I can't part with, but I don't scrap (this has NEVER happened, but it could!) I will put them behind the page in the album. Digital photos are saved in my portable hard drive.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to CarrieBH

I got some photo sleeves from Hobby that I will put in my albums along with my scrapped pages. Sometimes I just put 3 or 4 pictures on plain white paper and add to my album. I take so many snow or fall, etc. pictures that are too good to pitch.

I love my digital camera and save all pics to disk, then print only the best, with a page in mind of course!

hodgepodge722
Veteran
hodgepodge722
In response to wilbur

i have my not-to-be-scrapped pictures in photo boxes like you, chronological and labeled. actually, i like having them in there. if ever i need a picture i can easily find it. i dont feel like every picture needs to be in an album. hey, it's way better than the boxes my old, passed down pictures came to me. no order, old envelopes, everything mixed up.

if you'd like to have them in albums, just get some of the ones with the slide-in sleeves like some of the others suggested. that should do it.

WendyG-SA
Diva
WendyG-SA
In response to hodgepodge722

What I did was download all my fav pics onto a digital frame which holds up to 8000 pics. That way I only scrap the ones I really want to and don't feel presurised to scrap a pic of every event becasue we already have those on the frame which the family can enjoy all day long. As for my pics from pre-digi days, I scanned them and then downloaded them onto the frame too. It took a couple of days to complete but it was well worth the effort. I often find my kids sitting infront of the frame laughing and joking around about some of the pics and talking about the occassion....BEST investment I ever made!

shae516
Guru
shae516
In response to WendyG-SA

I try to only order what I want to scrap. For the extras (I do still take some 35mm pictures)I have an album that I got from CM - I think it's a picfolio album - and I just throw them in there, in no particular order. It's fun to flip thru it and see DS as an infant right next to a recent photo. I've also been known to use the scenic photos for lettering.

You Belong in the Zoo

I had so many animal photos left over from our zoo trip. I ran one thru the Cricut for the letters.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to shae516

this is the question of the century...LOL

i scrap WAY TOO MANY PICS. period i know i do and it makes me happy so its ok.

i got my digital camera in 2004. sooo...all the pics prior to that were scrapped...YIKES, i scrapped the originals. i didn't have a scanner pre 2000 and something, and if we got doubles i gave them away to friends and family so when i started scrapping i only had the originals. also my ex husband was not one to actually take alot of pics or develop the pics he did take so i don't have ton of pics from the early days. mind u i have alot, but since I scrap ALOT i didn't have alot of extras.

so what few extras i do have fit in a couple photo boxes and are in envelopes with person, date, location and those are chronological. i thought about scanning in, but maybe someday. right now i have those few extras pic, and tons of layouts for them to enjoy. also i scrap FOR CHILD not event so if there is more than one child in the photo and it is a family event then it is scrapped more than once. for example i just got done scrapping easter 04 four different ways for all 4 kids...LOL... like i said i am crazy.

now for the post digital camera years, i really got into photography and since digital is "free" i have literally hundreds of photos of a single event sometime. i only print the ones i want to scrap the rest are on my pc, my EHD, and burned to CD. i will eventually make sure that each child has copies of all the pics but for now they are backed up multiple times on my pc and ehd and discs so i am not worried about them. for some occasions i will make a regular two page layout for my child in their albums but then make an additional mini album (8x8) for the event. i have done this for the zoo, the circus, and a cat that we all loved. its a great way to use up extra photos esp if you have alot that u really liked. i also do 8.5x11 for each of my sons cub scout ranks. there are just soo many events that scouts share and i take way too many pics to not scrap as many as possible.

sorry so long but i love my pics and scrap wayyyy too much....LOL...

scharnack
Veteran
scharnack
In response to shae516

I'm all digital but as a professional photog I'm psycho about backing up and having duplicates. I agree to an extent with CarrieBH about not wanting to keep a bunch of pics that aren't worth going into my scrapbooks but my daughter likes to scrap too and she and I don't always agree on which are the best pics so I've just been keeping everything.

shae516
Guru
shae516
In response to scharnack

Also have pages like this throughout my albums... 2007

Legomom
Expert
Legomom
In response to CarrieBH

• CarrieBH Said:
I don't keep photos I don't scrap, and I scrap the originals (GASP!!!!!!)

I figure if they are worthy of being in a scrapbook, there is no point to storing them in another album or box. That just seems silly to me. Why scrap them at all, then? (Rhetorical Question.)

If pictures aren't good enough to scrap, I toss them. (But someone might want them someday!!!!) People who want the pictures are going to want the pics in my scrapbooks, not the crappy, unfocused, over-exposed and/or duplicates I may have. For that reason, I try not to crop pictures with funny edges or into shapes, and I don't put embellishments on top of the pictures. I adhere pictures so they can be removed--just a bit of adhesive to make them stick, rather than a roll so they NEVER EVER fall out--and scanned. (But someone might want the extra copies!!!!) If the pics are of other people, I give the unwanted or duplicates to that person to store when I'm done with a page. Think of it as a free "bank deposit box" in case of a fire. The same goes with negatives.

If there are pictures I can't part with, but I don't scrap (this has NEVER happened, but it could!) I will put them behind the page in the album. Digital photos are saved in my portable hard drive.

Carrie, glad I'm not the only one that trashes pics.

scharnack
Veteran
scharnack
In response to shae516

• mrsspec Said:
Also have pages like this throughout my albums... 2007

I think that is what I love so much about this craft is that there is no right way. It's whatever you like and whatever helps you remember. BTW I love that LO!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics