Username Post: Searching for a Heavy Duty Cutter for Cardstock        (Topic#1527901)
Lucli
Lucli 
New Kid On the Block
Lucli
  • Lucli on 02-11-10 05:18 AM

That won't break my poor wallet. Any suggestion on brands that are available at brick and mortar stores that cut thru cardstock cleanly with the raggedy edges?

TIA my friends - Lisa

Mix-on the Memories
Diva
Mix-on the Memories
In response to Lucli

The only thing that I can think of right now is the Sizzix BigKick at ACM, M or JoA at a 40% or 60% sale or coupon.

They run about $100.00
@ 40% off - $60.00
@ 60% off - $40.00

I got mine with a 60% off coupon at ACM.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to Mix-on the Memories

• Mix-on the Memories Said:
The only thing that I can think of right now is the Sizzix BigKick at ACM, M or JoA at a 40% or 60% sale or coupon.

They run about $100.00
@ 40% off - $60.00
@ 60% off - $40.00

I got mine with a 60% off coupon at ACM.

A good suggestion. I would also recommend the Sizzix original. understand people are selling them on ebay.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to dotfree

Did you mean a diecut machine or an actual rotary cutter or guillotine cutter?

The sizzix are die cut machines.

I would suggest looking in non-sb stores for something. You can get a great buy on guillotine style cutters (the only kind I use) at your office supply stores!

scrapalooza
Diva
scrapalooza
In response to StarsNSparkles

I have the making memories one & it cuts right through cardstock no problem, you could use a coupon at hl & get one for not too much.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to scrapalooza

I was going to ask the same thing. What type of "cutter" do you mean? For straight lines or shapes?

I have a Fiskars trimmer I've had for years. It does fine, as long as the blade is sharp. It's the triple track blade, which I find is better than the older, single track blade.

Lucli
Lucli 
New Kid On the Block
Lucli
  • Lucli on 02-11-10 02:38 PM
In response to Bxr-Linda

Yes I'm sorry I meant just for cutting a large piece of cardstock down, a trimmer or guillotine.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Lucli

I like my Cutterpede trimmer.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to Here Kitty

No offense, but I hate my Cutterpede. It only cuts straight if I make sure everything is lined up just so. I'm waiting for it to break so I can justify replacing it.

I've heard good things about the Making Memories cutter. It's pricey though.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Judy_Scraps

really? I've never had any problems cutting with mine.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75

i would recommend reading some other topics about the MM cutter. several people have had MANY issues with theirs and they have had NO luck with customer service. I personally do not like to deal with companies that do not provide excellent customer service. I do not have the MM one and was considering buying it myself, until I read this other thread. it would be worth checking out. Here is the link:

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15277...

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to abbynormaloh75

yeah I've heard a lot of bad stories concerning the MM cutter as well.

CJSBABYCAKES
Veteran
CJSBABYCAKES
In response to scrapalooza

• scrapalooza Said:
I have the making memories one & it cuts right through cardstock no problem, you could use a coupon at hl & get one for not too much.

yup yup I have this one and it cuts through cardstock cleanly

Lucli
Lucli 
New Kid On the Block
Lucli
  • Lucli on 02-11-10 08:12 PM
In response to CJSBABYCAKES

I'll give it a try, with a HL coupon is should ease the pain a bit. I'm so tired of trying to gnaw through cardstock with just a pair of scissors.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Lucli

If you can hold off for about a month, the new Zutter Kutter cuts through everything like butter. It just came out at CHA and is probably shipping to stores right now. Cuts chipboard, cardboard, matboard all cleanly so I am sure it would cut a big old stack of cardstock no problem.

Otherwise, the biggest reason you have raggedy edges is the blade is worn out. I have been through a TON of cutters (yes I had the MM one and it was awful, returned 2 times before I finally just got rid of it) and I keep going back to my Fiskars ones. The ones with the little blades wear out quick so I try to keep extra blades on hand. The rotary ones are the best and I have to change blades maybe once every 6 months--I use those to prep my classes so I am cutting more than the average person on them.

HTH!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• Here Kitty Said:
yeah I've heard a lot of bad stories concerning the MM cutter as well.

wow, really??????? I had issues with mine, and they replaced it without a single problem,,,,,it took 8 weeks, but I had a new one without cost,,,,,

they were wonderful,,,,,they spoke ENGLISH, and they had one ON THEIR DESK to walk me through everything possible to try and fix it before they gave up and sent me a new one,,,,,,

it was a very nice experience,,,,,

I've had no problems with my new one since I got it,,,,,,,I'd recommend the MM trimmer AND their customer service any day of the year!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

something to consider is how MANY pieces of cs you want to cut through at one time, however,,,,

the MM trimmer and most rotary trimmers can ONLY cut through 1-3 pieces of cs at a time,,,,,if you cut through more than that, you'll damage your trimmer,,,,,,

you can't cut chipboard or anything thicker than cs, either,,,,,

if you want to cut many more pieces than 1 piece of cs, you're better off with a guillotine trimmer (which I can't STAND, BUT they have their place)

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Jennifer Priest

• Jennifer Priest Said:
If you can hold off for about a month, the new Zutter Kutter cuts through everything like butter. It just came out at CHA and is probably shipping to stores right now. Cuts chipboard, cardboard, matboard all cleanly so I am sure it would cut a big old stack of cardstock no problem.

Otherwise, the biggest reason you have raggedy edges is the blade is worn out. I have been through a TON of cutters (yes I had the MM one and it was awful, returned 2 times before I finally just got rid of it) and I keep going back to my Fiskars ones. The ones with the little blades wear out quick so I try to keep extra blades on hand. The rotary ones are the best and I have to change blades maybe once every 6 months--I use those to prep my classes so I am cutting more than the average person on them.

HTH!

OK, if something cuts CHIPBOARD, I want it,,,,,,

seriously,,,,,,,I WANT IT,,,,,,,,,,,how much is it going to be, does anyone know??????

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

ok, I see now,,,,,,170 bucks,,,,,,thats a bit steep,,,,,,but it might be worth it,,,,,,,I mean the thing cuts CHIPBOARD!!!!!!!!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics