Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How did everyone start out?        (Topic#1528209)
ginab1989
New Kid On the Block
ginab1989

Where did most people get their materials from? Do you make your own scrapbooks or buy your own? what have you found to be the best? thanks for your help x

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to ginab1989

I started at a CM crop hated it from the start found this site (in search of why ppl liked scrapbooking seemed crazy to me to cut up pics) and fell in love with everything I saw. I built up my stash mostly from the dollar store to begin with and branched out from there. I buy the actual albums that hold my pages. I want them to stand up to the test of time.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Brandilynn

I went to a Creative Memories party. I loved the concept and once I had a grip of the basics I managed to extricate myself from the CM grip and enjoy all the exciting possibilities of the scrapping world!

ShoeStamper
Tenant
ShoeStamper
In response to scrappercaz

I too started out with CM, and acquired a lot of basic tools there. I quickly ventured out and have found that the possibilities are endless....CM was too confined for me.
SU has lots of products I like, too.
I am more of a tactile, hands on scrapper, and I don't want to limit myself to one line.
I love K and Company albums.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to ShoeStamper

I tried ten years ago. I made a few pages, cut up my pictures and slapped stickers everywhere. SO UGLY and I hated it. Couldn't understand why my sister liked it so much. In 2007, I went to a Stampin Up party and had a blast, but didn't buy anything because I'm cheap. I started by shopping on ebay and discovered that I also had stores in town like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and Archiver's. I googled alot and subscribed to Scrapbooks Etc. I live in an urban area so CraigsList is my friend. I discovered this website just last summer and can't believe the wealth of information and interactive opportunities. Now, I'm here all the time. Spending hours reading and ogling (sp?).
Love American Crafts ring albums. My Paper Studio post bound albums from HL are surprisingly great but my pages do stick out a little at the top.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to ShoeStamper

Back in the day, there wasn't much to chose from.

I mainly use to use binders & journals.

These days, there are SO many choices.

The binders that I am drawn to the most (due to bulky LO's & volume) are the D-ring binders.

Hope That Helps & Welcome To sb.com, as well as, Welcome To The World Of Scrapbooking!

You're Gonna Love It!!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to KellyCali

When starting out I would recommend buying a kit or a paper stack. Both of these will give you a bunch of papers to work with. One of the challenges when first starting out is to get materials that actually match. Scrap by color can also help.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Also, when starting out, I would also only make purchases in moderation.

Buy only the basics. Find a class or a workshop & see what you like & or don't like and go from there!

New Kid On the Block
In response to KellyCali

I did alot a scrapping back in the 70's!!LOL After I retired, I just happened to be flipping channels and QVC had Lisa B. with a kit from K & CO. It was really beautiful...so I put my foot in the water and now only my nose is above water.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to ScrappySnooks

I do most of my shopping online-various places. I get my ideas and inspiration from the tons of talented peeps on this site. I'm not picky about what brand my scrapbooks are-so long as they are pretty :-)

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to DittoBabyGirl

I went to a LSS crop seven years ago with one of my daughters and I had no idea what it was about. I was visitng her in VA for a long weekend. We get there and she asks me if I had brought some pictures. Well I didn't, so I spent the evening watching what she was doing and looking at all the merchandise in the store. I ended up buying an 8 X 8 album, travel printed paper, stickers, embellies and pens. And she bought me a Fiskars paper trimmer that I still use when I go to crops.

I do most of my shopping at Michaels and LSS. I do some shopping at Joanne's and Walmarts.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to dotfree

I started 11 years ago when my daughter was a newborn. I got a packet in the mail for a kit of the month baby book so I joined. The first kit came with a nice 3 ring album, adhesive squares, a few sheets of paper, journaling pages & pen, some stickers and no instructions. I was clueless. I got a couple more kits before I cancelled. The kits weren't worth the money. There wasn't much of a variety back then but I shopped at Michael's, Joann's and A.C. Moore. About two years after I started scrapping I got the internet at home and that opened up a whole new world for me. I went to one CM workshop at my son's daycare about two years after I started scrapping. I was put off by the demonstrator because she treated me like a total newbie (no one else there had ever scrapped). I bought a few tools from her but it turned me off of CM.

I use the American Crafts 3-ring albums posted above. I buy most of my supplies locally from a scrapbook store in town. How times have changed!

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to Judy_Scraps

Also, if you have an Archiver's close by they have great free classes!!

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to ChansGram

I started a long time ago, when CTMH was still DOTS and had a small line of scrapbook stuff they called CTMH. I still don't have my DD baby album finished and she is 18. Need to finish it soon, to give her when she graduates from HS.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to NMlady

Oh and I actually started her baby album with a kit from HL.

grammyoftwo
Resident
grammyoftwo
In response to NMlady

You might want to watch ebay. If you search huge scrapbook lots you can end up with a lot of paper, stickers, punches etc. really cheap but watch the shipping try and stay with the free shipping ones. Plus they have alot of deals on Creative memories tools.

smileyfacegirl80
Idol
smileyfacegirl80
In response to grammyoftwo

I started with a scrapbook kit from Walmart. I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

Seaside Dreams
Veteran
Seaside Dreams
In response to smileyfacegirl80

I started back in 1990. There wasn't much to choose from then - I think I found my very earliest supplies at Walmart in the town we lived in because there were no scrapbook stores yet in our area. My sister-in-law got me hooked - she was making an album one day and it looked like fun, so I went shopping and the rest is history!

jeneppers
Veteran
jeneppers
In response to Seaside Dreams

My friends at work bought me an album and some SB stuff for my baby shower 5 years ago. I hated it. I sold it at a consignment sale...cheap. Then about 4 years ago we went to Disney for my sons and my 1st time. I wanted to make a SB, so I order a kit from a catalog. It included everything I need to make an 8x8 Disney album. I went to the LSS (now closed) and took a beginners class. I'm now addicted.

I'm not a loyal SB shopper. I shop wherever the stuff is pretty and good priced. (and where I have a coupon!!!) Mostly Ms, HL, and A's. I love As, but they were a little pricey for my budget. Here lately they have had some really awesome deals though. I've started going there more bc they have a better selection. My second choice would be HL for the selection.

mandylikesllamas
Resident
mandylikesllamas
In response to jeneppers

I was dragged to a CM crop that lasted till midnight and by the end of the night I was like wow this is fun!! I went to hobby lobby soon after that and bought some things that caught my eye, and I've been addicted ever since!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics