Username Post: Embossing powder, ink pads, and stamping????        (Topic#1528283)
jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo

What kind of ink pad and embossing powder do you recomend?

Also, what is it ppl use when stamping to get image more than one color? Do they color them? If so with what?

livelovecreate86
Expert
livelovecreate86
In response to jennaroo

I have a few ink pads that I use for embossing. I have a Stampabilities Embossing Ink Pad that I got at Hobby Lobby for a few dollars. I also use VersaMark, which is a little bit more pricey, but it seems to work better.

As far as embossing powders, I love Zing! Embossing Powders. The colors are awesome, and they seem to melt perfect everytime! I also have some that is Stamp N Stuff and it also works very well and is about half the price of Zing!

scrapperbee
Angel
scrapperbee
In response to livelovecreate86

I use versamark, but also have lots of SU and encore inks I use frequently. As for embossing powder, I mainly use Ranger, clear most of the time and rely on the ink for the color though I also use white, black, and silver.

Edited by scrapperbee on 02-15-10 09:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to scrapperbee

you want to make sure you use a slow drying ink, like versamark or pigment, so it gives the powder time to adhere. I use mostly ranger powders. marvy also makes embossing markers that you can use to color in/emboss your stamped images.

Rebecca and the Pugs
Pro
Rebecca and the Pugs
In response to Tina scraps

For over 13 years my favorite is still Colorbox Black pigment ink and a clear embossing powder. When you use clear inks and a colored powder, you have to be extremely careful to make sure you don't have any access colored powder around your image. If you do, you will have melted specks of color.

Edited by Rebecca and the Pugs on 02-15-10 10:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to Rebecca and the Pugs

I usually use versamerk or ranger embossing ink pad and colored embossing powder. I think the powder I use mostly is hampton, but not positive. I also like the look of zing. Distress inks are wonderful for embossing too b/c they stay wetter longer.

GreenDragonLady
Expert
GreenDragonLady
In response to jennaroo

• jennaroo Said:

Also, what is it ppl use when stamping to get image more than one color? Do they color them? If so with what?

You can color directly on the stamp with waterbased markers, or dab ink on the stamp with a sponge dauber. After you have all the color on that you want, you stamp your image. If it takes you a bit of time to get all the color on the stamp, you might need to "huff" on the stamp (like you're fogging up a mirror) to remoisten the ink before stamping. Or you can spritz water on the stamp with a fine mister, which gives a softer look.

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo
In response to GreenDragonLady

Thanks ladies, I am still making my ever growing list for my shopping trip coming up!!! I'm getting so excited.

Jessica, THANKS!!! I just tried that and it turned out gorgeous!! I have had all these stamps for months and haven't been using them because I thought they were ugly all one color from my ink pads!! I cannot wait to make a card doing this now!!

AimeeInOhio
Pro
AimeeInOhio
In response to jennaroo

I use Ranger's embossing ink or Ranger's Perfect Medium pad for embossing. Ranger's embossing powders are my FAVORITE powders, although I LOVE some of the Zing embossing powder colors!!!

As for the multi colors, yes you can color on your stamps with water based markers. Also kalidacolor pads are awesome.

Grimmette
Pro
Grimmette
In response to jennaroo

I use mainly ranger products, they're the most common where I shop and they work well too...

When your talk about multi colored stamping are you talking about using a normal ink color as a medium and then embossing over it?

OR

Are you talking about non embossing, multi-color stamping. Another thing I like to use since I don't emboss a whole lot is stamping with distress color and then adding perfect pearls to it to give it a kind of two tone sheen-ish color. Hope that was helpful pm me if you need anything.

Tracy S.
Queen
Tracy S.
In response to Grimmette

I love Versa Mark embossing ink and Zing are my fav embossing powders..they are smooth and so vibrant.. they melt really well.

jeneppers
Veteran
jeneppers
In response to Tracy S.

Is the Versamark y'all are talking about the same as the watermark ink or is there another kind. I'm new to embossing..it's on my to learn list.

I am going shopping on Friday and plan on buying embossing stuff..the gun, ink, and powders.

Any advice?

GreenDragonLady
Expert
GreenDragonLady
In response to jeneppers

• jeneppers Said:
Is the Versamark y'all are talking about the same as the watermark ink or is there another kind. I'm new to embossing..it's on my to learn list.

I am going shopping on Friday and plan on buying embossing stuff..the gun, ink, and powders.

Any advice?

Yes, Versamark is a brand of watermark ink. Any clear pigment ink would work.

GreenDragonLady
Expert
GreenDragonLady
In response to jennaroo

• jennaroo Said:

Jessica, THANKS!!! I just tried that and it turned out gorgeous!! I have had all these stamps for months and haven't been using them because I thought they were ugly all one color from my ink pads!! I cannot wait to make a card doing this now!!

Oh, great! I hope you'll share a pic soon!

FunnyBunnyCrafts
Resident
FunnyBunnyCrafts
In response to GreenDragonLady

I just started embossing a few months ago and I love Colorbox inks and Martha Stewart embossing powder!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics