Username Post: CLEAR STAMPS        (Topic#1528363)
jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo

Sorry for the abundance of posts today, lol, I had a list of questions I wanted to ask!!

Whats the trick to clear stamps? It seems when I stamp with rubber stamps, the image is clear and precise. When I use clear stamps they seem to be wide, and smudge, and the image is not so clear. Not sure on the barnd of clear stamps I have. Is there a trick to stamping with them?

Also when you buy clear stamps they come in a sheet of many.....do you cut those out, or leave them???

Also whats the best cleaner for least $$$$ for clear and rubber stamps?

TIA

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to jennaroo

1.Its probably the brand I find this happen with Ms $ clear stamps but not my ctmh stamps

2.I leave them on the sheets as they are usually themed in set and easy to store like that. Unless its Ms $ ones I take off and store in cd cases by theme.

3.Baby Wipes

HTH

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo
In response to Brandilynn

Haven't tried wipes yet...lol, still have those stocked......lol, can't wait till I don't....I haven't had a break from kids in diapers for the last 11 yrs.....I've had at least 1 to 2 in diapers.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to jennaroo

There are a bunch of posts about acrylic stamps. Do a search, and you should find a lot of info.

The ink you use matters.
Check out this video: http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/887.html

I don't know what you mean by cutting apart the stamps. The acrylic stamps are typically on a backing sheet. You peel them off that sheet and put them on your block for stamping.

I've also heard people suggest that you use a mouse pad or something with a little give under your project. Unlike traditional rubber stamps, you don't want a hard surface underneath.

Tenant
In response to jennaroo

You donn't need as much pressure on the clear stamps as you do with the rubber stamps I have found.

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo
In response to 48dragonfly

Linda, I just went and checked mine....it must be because they were a cheap brand because they do not come off of the sheet. It is all connected as one. I was not aware that they were not all like this, lol. Thats why I was asking if you cut them because haveing to stamp with them all connected is weird.....and hard.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Bxr-Linda

the cheap clear stamps (like from dollar stores) don't work well.

I usually buy Autumn Leaves brand. and i use an acryllic block to apply.

I take mine off the sheets they come on and I store mine in empty CD Cases (I remove the CD holder part)

Edited by GTGW on 02-16-10 10:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Legomom
Expert
Legomom
In response to Just G

Be careful of baby wipes though..if they have a lot of moisturizers they can leave a film on the stamp that will prevent some inks to adhere properly.

Also, do not press too hard...
Acrylic stamps are a different animal from rubber stamps so there is a learning curve at first.

And I have found that if I get a cheapy acrylic stamp and I can't get it off the plastic sheet, I get some warm soapy water in a dish or in the sink and soak it a bit to work off the stamp from the sheet. It won't hurt the stamp so don't worry.

Plus sometimes you need to 'break in' your stamp. Make about a half dozen or so stamps on some scrap cardstock. Some feel that this will condition the stamp to accept the ink better.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Legomom

No that I'm any expert, but I have NEVER seen any acrylic stamps that don't come off the backing sheet. And, I buy a lot of cheap stamps.

When using baby wipes, use the regular non-alcohol wipes. Alcohol will dry the stamps.

scrappinmac
Expert
scrappinmac
In response to Bxr-Linda

It also helps to "condition" the acrylic stamps by rubbing them with a pink eraser before the first use.

JediScrapToo
Diva
JediScrapToo
In response to scrappinmac

I've had some cheap stamps (the dollar ones from M's) that were quite hard to get off the backing, but I just forced it. Thought they would rip but they didn't.

Oh, and jennaroo your quote, one of my FAVES from that movie!

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to JediScrapToo

You are not suppose to rock acrylic stamps back and forth like one often does with rubber ones.

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo
In response to dotfree

Thanks Ladies, next time I try it I will try something soft under them and try not to rock them.

I may have to soak the stamps in water if they really are supposed to come apart, because I tugged and tugged and could not get them loose, but they do in fact look like they should after a careful once over of them.

I think as for now rubber stamps see easier to me, lol.

Thanks Dayna, I love the qoute too.

GreenDragonLady
Expert
GreenDragonLady
In response to jennaroo

My favorite are wood-mountd rubber; great stamped image and I don't have to stick and unstick from a block, and risk losing them.

Second favorite would be cling-mounted rubber; still a great stamped image, great storage, but I'm lazy and don't always clean or put away my stamps right away, so I risk losing them or not cleaning them.

Least favorite are clear. I have a few but don't use them.

beccacrouch
Veteran
beccacrouch
In response to GreenDragonLady

this is what i use to clean mine and love it...
http://beccasthisandthat.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=63...

it's got the felt tip and you just rub your stamp clean. if there's a lot of ink left on them after stamping i may rinse with water first then use the cleaner. i use it to clean my acrylic blocks as well if i get some ink on them. certain inks like stayz-on are not easy to get off but they're supposed to be like that for non porous materials.

CJSBABYCAKES
Veteran
CJSBABYCAKES
In response to beccacrouch

Clear stamps work great with pigment inks (cat eyes). If you use a classic waterbased ink try versamark. I cover my clear stamp with versamark and then the ink. It gives a crisper look. I found this out after I started buying SU classic ink.

beccacrouch
Veteran
beccacrouch
In response to CJSBABYCAKES

oooh good idea! I'll have to try that =]

kariyava
Pro
kariyava
In response to beccacrouch

I had the same problems with my acrylic stamps until I began using different inks. I would recommend versamagic or brilliance inks. I also find that Ranger's stamp cleaner works really well.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
No that I'm any expert, but I have NEVER seen any acrylic stamps that don't come off the backing sheet. And, I buy a lot of cheap stamps.

When using baby wipes, use the regular non-alcohol wipes. Alcohol will dry the stamps.

i was thinking the same thing. though i will say on the cheaper sets you have to pull pretty hard. but i would work on them. they should come off. i dont think u can adhere them to the block with the backing still on.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to abbynormaloh75

• abbynormaloh75 Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:

i was thinking the same thing. though i will say on the cheaper sets you have to pull pretty hard. but i would work on them. they should come off. i dont think u can adhere them to the block with the backing still on.

Exactly!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics