Page 2 of 3 
Username Post: NEW! North Georgia Scrappers Group!        (Topic#1528393)
Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to GaMtnScrap

I've only been to Archiver's a couple of times. The Scrapbook Superstore Clearance centers are more in my price range. (Everything 50% off)

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap
In response to Rosita

You know that Fiskars fingertip control knife you showed? I found one at Walmart, but it was over in the school supply section and it looked a little different. It was black instead of orange, but the price was only $4.95. Is that a good price? Do you think it's basically the same thing? Ever since you showed that little knife, I've been seeing it everywhere now! You started a trend! I've also seen one online with a swivel blade. I have a regular craft knife with a swivel blade and love it, so this one really caught my interest, but it was much higher than the one I saw at WM with the fixed blade. Does your orange one have a fixed or swivel blade? Was there any kind of learning curve when you first got it, or was it pretty easy and nothing that much different? I'm really thinking of getting that one at WM to try it! My craft knife collection is growing! But, oddly enough, they all are different and each have their own use, you know? Almost like all the different black ink pads I seem to be collecting too! LOL!

I'll have to see if that Scrapbook Superstore is still at Town Mall. I mean, 50% off is worth driving in mall traffic! LOL!

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita

Lol, I didn't start the trend, but it is a good tool. I don't think they had the one with the swivel blade when I got mine. I've been curious about the swivel blade though...and may eventually get it.

The only 'learning curve' was to move the paper instead of the knife.

Oh, and it works best when cutting on a glass surface...

I went to 2 different Scrapbook Superstore Clearance centers last April, and they were both close to the Archiver's...one in Marrietta, and the other one on the other side of Atlanta...was that Buford? it was near the Mall of GA...

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap
In response to Rosita

Well, I bought that fingertip control knife at Wally World. I was wrong on the price in my prev post, it was only $3.97. So, I went for it. I have played with that thing off and on all weekend and I LOVE IT!! The only problem I had with it was the second time I used it, I pushed too hard and broke the very tip of the blade. But, since it uses the standard Xacto blades, I had more and it was an easy fix. I guess with the way your fingers are, you just don't have to apply as much pressure! But that was the only problem and I quickly learned my lesson on the pressure. I LOVE the control you have with that thing and that you can "see" on both sides of the blade. I never realized before how much my big fingers block the view with a traditional craft knife until now! And I agree with you, it works best on the glass mat. And I got to thinking, not sure a swivel blade is really all that necessary. It might be somewhat helpful, I guess, but the fixed blade can go around curves very well itself, just because of the better control you have. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation on the tool! It really is great and I'm happy I got it. Best $4 tool investment I've ever made, hands down!

The clearance store in Marietta is the one I knew about, it's actually at Town Center Mall. I never know whether to call that area "Marietta" or "Kennesaw" because it's so on the line between the two. Kind of like Alpharetta and Roswell are so close together they just kind of blur together. My family's always called it AlphaRoswell! Ha ha! So, I guess where the clearance store is can be called either MariKennesaw or MariKennetta, Ha ha! And yes, I checked there's one listed for Buford too, somewhere over near the Mall of Georgia. I haven't been over in that area in forever, so I have no idea what's over there now. Apparently, though, the one you first spoke of in Pigeon Forge is their main one? I just figured as much since when I went to their website, that was the one they actually listed and they have all kinds of special Tennessee and Pigeon Forge die cuts, paper, and such. The only way I could find the other two locations was just in the yellow pages, but they have the same name and logo so I assume they're all related. I would bet the one in TN is bigger too.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita

Glad you're enjoying the new tool. I won't go to crop anywhere without mine.

You're right, the one in Pigeon Forge is bigger than the clearance centers, and in Pigeon Forge, they also have a clearance center, so you can get the best of both worlds in one shopping center.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Rosita

Hey gals! Sorry I've been MIA for a bit... went on VACATION!! (WHOOT!) I'm back now, although part of me wishes I was still in Florida! At least for the sunny, warm weather!

To answer your earlier questions - my favorite tool... gosh, it's hard to pick one. I love my Cricut, and I love my ink pads, if those count as a tool. I find myself using both of those on pretty much every layout.

I love to shop at Archivers, but I spend most of my time and money there in the clearance papers and the $1.99 Hot Spots. And I use my coupons they send for the big stuff I want.

I love the SC center in Pigeon Forge, although I've only been there once. The one by the Mall at Town Center is great, too. I do a lot of my shopping at Walmart or Michaels, or little local stores I find. And of course, I love shopping CTMH. Their paper packs are just my favorite, and I love the stamp sets to pieces!

My favorite place to scrap is with friends. I would say at home, but that's only true when my friends are over (which is why I host crops). I hate trying to lug all my stuff around, but I just feel more creative and 'into' scrapping when I'm with a bunch of friends and can see what they're doing and get ideas and feedback while I'm working. Just sitting at home by myself, it's hard to get motivated. I really, really love weekend retreats. I love the girl time, I love the 48 hours of non-stop scrapping, and it really makes lugging everything around worth it. Those are my favorites, I think.

So, Tish, you're liking the new cutter, huh? I may have to swing by Walmart and see if I can find one. That sounds like a great idea you've given us, Rosita! I can hardly wait to go get one and try it!!

Oh, and Tish, I meant to tell you. My friend Carrie, who was at the crop the other night, got me back in to crocheting, so I've been working on a tote bag and am so ready to be finished with it and see the whole thing! Have you made any progress on the gift for your friend yet? I was telling Carrie, we need to have a crochet night too, and she said she would have one at her house soon (she's in North Canton, so pretty close), so you'll have to come so we can all work on our projects!

Anyway, I need to get back to work (shh, don't tell), but I wanted to catch up with you gals. Have a great Thursday!

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap
In response to thebonmama

Betsye, I can see why you won't go to a crop without that little finger knife, it's really neat! Hey, I've been meaning to ask, how's the album for the Eagle Scout coming?

Bon, Hi! I noticed you'd been quiet on all fronts for a few days. There's a bug going around my son's school and my work, so I was hoping you weren't quiet because of something like that. Glad to hear it was because of something good like a vacation! And, you had warm and sunny? I'm envious. I'm so glad Spring is close. I'm to that point of winter where I swear it's going to take until June to completely warm up again!

I can second Betsye's recommendation on that Fiskars fingertip control knife. It's awesome! If you look for it at the Canton WM, it's in the regular kids craft section, across from the office pens/pencils, and up high over the kids Crayola magic stuff. Not sure why they put it with the kids craft stuff, it's obviously not for kids. But, mmmmkay, whatever.... In their defense, they did put it way up high on the top of the shelves, I guess that counts for something?

And no, I never finished my crochet baby blanket for my neighbor. In fact, I got so frustrated with it, I tore it all back out and started a new pattern. I should know better by now not to try anything too involved or hard, I should keep things simple. I mostly crochet when I watch TV, so simple patterns work best, plus if it's too hard I just end up getting frustrated and losing interest. I've been crocheting since I was like 14, but still can't do anything too complicated! LOL! Let me know if Carrie does a crochet night. Maybe I could make it, depends on the day and time.

So, do y'all have any crafty plans this weekend? Tomorrow I have off work, but unfortunately have a ton of errands and things to do, esp since hubby has to work most of the weekend. I hate when the Honey Do List gets shifted back my way! LOL! Then Saturday I will be attending my son's indoor drumline competition which will last all day. It's his next to last one (the next Sat is the championships in Macon) so I'm not missing it! So, I'm hoping Sunday I can actually play on some sb'ing things. Supposed to be a rainy day, so sounds like a good afternoon to put on the comfy sweat pants and play the rest of the day away! So, what about you guys? You going to have any crafty time this weekend?

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita

I may have some time Sunday to scrap. I'm in Gatlinburg now waiting on some friends from here who are part of the secret sisters swap to arrive from NC so we can spend today and tomorrow together having fun, etc.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to Rosita

And I did bring some scrapstuff with me, but I don't know how much, if any, we'll do. We plan on shopping and eating and laughing, etc. etc. etc.

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap
In response to Rosita

Wow, Betsye, that sounds like fun! Hope you have a good time! Wish I could take off for a scrap weekend like that, even if there wasn't much scrapping gone on! It sounds like fun just to get together with gal pals for the weekend. How long does it take for you to get to Gatlinburg/PF from where you live? Must not take too long?

Anyway, have a GREAT time! I assume there will be a trip to the Scrapbook Clearance Warehouse in there somewhere?

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita

about 2 1/2 hours... we went there twice...once on Friday and once on Saturday.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to Rosita

Hi Everyone

I am a little late in joining this thread, hope I can still be a part of the fun!

I am Maureen and I live between Suwanee and Cumming with my DH Jeff. I've been scrapping since 1998 but am currently on hiatus due to some wrist issues. I'm going through physical therapy and absolutely cannot wait to be done so I can scrap and do other things again! 3 more weeks til I go back to have my wrist evaluated again.

My favorite tool(s) are my fiskers rotary trimmer, my cuttlebug and craftrobo pro. I also use alot of CM tools and some of their paper packs too. I mainly shop at Hobby Lobby and Michaels (both are 5-10 minutes from where I live). Sometimes I buy from the superstore here and my SIL is a CM consultant, so I buy stuff from her too.

Starting at the beginning of this year, I started a Project 365 (also currently on hold due to not being able to hold my camera - makes it hard to take pictures!). I also made a promise to myself when I started that project that I would not buy anything new until I use quite a bit of what I already own. My store purchases are limited to adhesive, albums/pages/protectors and photo prints. So far it has been alot of fun to shop in my own stash.

As time permits, I will be checking in on this thread and trying to keep up! I look forward to getting to know everyone in the new group!

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to Shutterbugg

Hi Maureen.

I think when life slows down in a few years, I'll want to do a Project 365, but then what would I scrap since life has slowed down...so in the mean time, I'll just settle for running myself ragged trying to keep up with the kids and taking pictures to scrap at a later date.

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap
In response to Rosita

Hi, Maureen. I think we've talked before. Sorry to hear about your wrist, and I hope you can get back to scrapping soon.

I've heard/read alot about Project 365 but have never even considered doing it myself. Seems like too much for me, at least right now what with working and trying to keep up my son and all his activities. But, maybe sometime I'll have more time and will feel like I could give it a good try.

Hey, do you shop at the Hobby Lobby in Cumming? I shop there sometimes too, maybe we've seen each other and didn't even know it! I work near Cumming, and on the weeks that it's my "turn" to run the company errands in town, I will sometimes swing in to pick up something. But, I usually only do that when I know specifically what I want to get because I don't have time to just look around. So, if you ever see a woman there in late morning and in a big hurry, it's probably me! LOL!

Let us know how your physical therapy is going, and hopefully it'll be over soon and you'll be back to scrapping in no time!

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap
In response to Rosita

• Rosita Said:
about 2 1/2 hours... we went there twice...once on Friday and once on Saturday.

Wow, that's relatively close (alot closer than from where I am anyways), but still you spent 10 hours driving between 2 days? Now that's devotion! LOL! Or is that 2 1/2 hrs total, for there and back? Either way, close enough for a great Scrap weekend or great scrap shopping trip, right?

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita

I wouldn't have driven there twice in one weekend by myself. I met a couple of the girls from NC who were in the secret sister swap, and we stayed in a hotel Friday night.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to Rosita

Hi Tish - - Yes, We've talked before! Good to see you again!
Yes, I shop at the Cumming HL and M's. You are right, we may have seen each other over there and didn't know it! I've not been to either in a while since I am trying to just use what's in my collection.

My PT is going well, thanks for asking. I still have 3 more weeks and then the Dr will re-evaluate it. (I go Mon and Fri and do other PT on my own 3 times a day/everyday). I can tell it is getting better but I still have not figured out how to keep the same thing from happening again. Dr says I may have to wear the brace when working on the computer, lifting things or doing anything repetitive with that hand/arm. I'm good with that - it's a much better option than surgery and 8+ weeks in a full arm cast followed by months of PT.

Project 365 was turning out to be alot of fun and I really wish I could have continued with it. There are a couple layouts posted in my gallery but not many. I do have 2 others done but have not been able to take pictures of them to get them posted. Soon though I will. It was fun to document the silly little things that happened each day, things I normally would not of thought to photograph or scrap for the most part. My Dh was even getting in on the fun of this project and taking some of the pictures. At first, project 365 seemed like it would be alot for me to deal with too so I modified mine a bit. Instead of scrapping a layout per day, I decided to do a two page spread with a each weeks worth of pictures. That was so much more manageable for me since I don't normally get to scrap during the week. As soon as I can, I will be starting this project again.

What kind of layouts/projects has everyone been working on lately?

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to Shutterbugg

This whole month, I've been helping create a scrapbook for a boy scout who earned his eagle. His mom wants to give him scrapbooks Sunday. The last day to work on it is Saturday.

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose

Are you still taking members, I live in Canton and have been scrapping over 10 years. I love tools and gadgets, and have to try them all. I've not scrapped much thiis past year and need some new friends for inspiration. Would love to scrap with you.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to Mother Goose

Hi Kay! Welcome.

Hi Girls. We delivered the almost finished scrapbooks today at the Eagle Court Of Honor. Everyone loved looking at them. Gloria told me I could post the layouts I did on here, so I scanned about half of them that I did this month. This is the one that I like the best, and will be recreating for my son's book. I'm definitely going to have to get a copy of the group photo! Alex's expression on here is so...so...what's the word/phrase that I'm looking for? Brave? Adventurous? Masculine? nope..Confident! Totally at ease with himself, and I love that. Raft Race By Rosita

(My son is the one wearing glasses)

Page 2 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics