Username Post: Stitching        (Topic#1528497)
JenJK
JenJK 
Tenant
JenJK
  • JenJK on 02-17-10 03:52 PM

I like the look of stitching on layouts but have never done it and would like to try it. Does anyone have any tips? Do you do it by hand or sewing machine? What kind of thread do you use?
Thanks

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to JenJK

I do it by hand, and usually use the bazzill templates below, or the cutter bee piercing tools if I just want lines. yes, it takes a while by hand, but I don't have a machine, and I can always do the stitching in front of the tv when it doesn't really matter.

JenJK
JenJK 
Tenant
JenJK
  • JenJK on 02-17-10 04:55 PM
In response to Tina scraps

Thanks so much this helped me a lot!

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to JenJK

Just use the embroidery floss available at walmart

I use the strand together (all 6 pieces) and I use the Bazzill templates but you can trace any object and pierce holes in it and then stitch

Samothrace
Guru
Samothrace
In response to peenut_23

I've free handed objects as well and pierced the holes. I needed a pumpkin, so I just drew it.

Keep your thread organized so if you need a certain color again it's easy to keep track!

I love stitching, it gives a nice depth/texture without getting bulky!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to Samothrace

ditto on keeping the thread organized! I bought a floss holder from Michaels in the same section as the thread - you stick the thread on this bendable plastic and slide it into its own individual clear plastic pocket, and then roll it up. its great for keeping the floss from getting tangled!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Tina scraps

I do both by hand and with the machine. I love the Bazzill templates--use them in classes all the time and students who come in frowning about having to sew usually leave excited about how easy it was.

The machine is more difficult and pricey, gotta make sure you don't put adhesive where you're gonna sew cuz it could gunk up your machine and you have to play with the tension to get it just right.

The machine is definitely faster but they both have their own distinct look when you're done.

For hand-sewing, I buy the craft thread at Joann's. It is called just that and is usually in a bag right by the embroidery floss. I love the texture and I use the whole strand, don't separate it. It is also super cheap -- I think $15 reg price for 103 skeins?? Anyways it is pennies per skein. I don't bother winding thread onto cards any more--I just pull it from the skein gently so that does not fall apart and I keep the skeins by color in sandwich zip loc bags so they lay flat. Have never had any problems

hth

JenJK
JenJK 
Tenant
JenJK
  • JenJK on 02-21-10 02:57 PM
In response to Jennifer Priest

Thanks everyone! This has all been very helpful! Does anyone know of a site you can download free templates from?

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to JenJK

No, but you can use anything as a pattern:

Coloring book images
Diecuts (punch around the edges)
Dreamweaver's or other brass stencils
Crafter's Workshop templates
Glimmer Screens from Tattered Angels

hth
Products Referenced in This Post:

jflynn51
Idol
jflynn51
In response to Jennifer Priest

I've always been interested in the stitching technique as I cross-stitched for years. Can't see to do that any more so I swamped IT out for scrapping?
I saw a little sewing machine the other day at Walmart for $50 and was wondering if you all thought that would do the job. I really don't sew sooooo I don't want to invest a lot a $$$ on a machine.

mc_hudd
Veteran
mc_hudd
In response to jflynn51

I really like using the stitch templates... I got mine from Oriental Trading Co... They aren't the BEST quality, but mine have lasted by taking good care of them.

I also bought (off of an auction site) a tiny desktop sewing machine made especially for scrapbooking (I believe)... I've had it for over a year now & have only tried it on scrap paper, but it does make cute stitches... Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it... They're pretty cheap new though.

I also love the look of stitching on LO's, it really adds something. Either are very easy techniques... Hope you find something you love!

scrap4me42
Tenant
scrap4me42
In response to mc_hudd

I have been looking at the bazzill templates at ac moore but haven't bought them yet. I like the look of stitching on a page as well. I do some cross stitching and was thinking of using some of them in my scrapbooking.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to scrap4me42

I just did my first machine sewing on a card and it turned out GREAT! I used zig-zags, regular needle, silver thread, wide stitch. LOVE IT!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics