Username Post: Another pen question        (Topic#1528625)
Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.

I like to write on the back of my photos, but am having a hard time finding the right pen to use. Ball point pens poke through to the front. Some pens bleed through, and some are too wet and they smudge. Does anybody have any recommendations for a pen that will dry quickly and not do any of those things I mentioned? I tried a photo pencil from CM, but it doesn't work well and I want something fine tipped. TIA for any ideas!

-Mary

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Mary W.

I like Zig and the Copic black Multiliner pen
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by Here Kitty on 02-20-10 07:16 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to Mary W.

have you tried fine-tipped sharpies, or american crafts slick writers?

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.
In response to Tina scraps

Thanks, Amy and Tina. I'll try both of those. I have some Sharpies, but the pens dry out too fast. I'm going to check out some LSS to see if I can find the Zig and American Crafts individual pens to try them out. I thought I had tried everything, but there's so much out there!

-Mary

godschild94
Governor
godschild94
In response to Mary W.

You will definately want the American Crafts Slick Writers...they are specially formulated to write on slick surfaces and dry quickly. They come in three tips: fine, medium, and broad...the fine or medium should work well for you.

The only ZIG pens that work are the photo memory ones. The regular ZIG writers won't work...they won't dry well and could smear.

Definately don't use a ball point pen because that breaks the emulsion on the photograph and will eventually ruin your picture. And no to Sharpies...they are not acid free!

flightgirl
Veteran
flightgirl
In response to godschild94

I like the zig photo memory pens, of course I haven't tried the slick writers yet...perhaps those will be next...

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to flightgirl

I must have bad luck with American Crafts Slick Writers. I've purchased 3 or 4 and ended up throwing them all away. Half dried up within a couple of weeks and the others had a problem with the tip not working correctly.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to Here Kitty

I use this one all the time and love it for photo marking. It dries quick and you can flip a photo right onto the one before it and don't get smudging.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-20-10 10:55 AM
In response to KatieJo

How about writing on a different piece of paper/cs/vellum/etc. and adhering that to the back of the photo? That way you wouldn't have to worry about damaging the photo or dealing with writing on photo paper.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Here Kitty

• Here Kitty Said:
I must have bad luck with American Crafts Slick Writers. I've purchased 3 or 4 and ended up throwing them all away. Half dried up within a couple of weeks and the others had a problem with the tip not working correctly.

That stinks. I bought a pack awhile ago and they're still working great for me.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics