Username Post: Cutting Large Circles        (Topic#1528769)
New Kid On the Block

I would like to know how you ladies cut the large circles that you use on your pages. I tried using my Expression but the circle is too thick. Any help would be appricated - as I love the look of the open circles on the backgrounds.

Sandy

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap
In response to Sandy Duley

I don't have any fancy cutting machines. I just cut mine by hand. I either use something the size that I want to trace around for a pattern. Or I use just an ordinary school type compass to draw my circles. But then, I do alot of cutting by hand and don't mind it. I may be weird, but I enjoy it.

New Kid On the Block
In response to GaMtnScrap

Tish,

Thanks for replying. I might try tracing a large circle and then cutting it out. I have to admit-I'm not sure I can cut it clean enough.

Sandy

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

Tip - You can trace around dinner plates, cake pans, you name it, as long as it's a circle!

HTH!

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to KellyCali

Cutterbee Curvy Cutter works for me.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to traceyjean

I also use plates and whatnot to trace and cut with an exacto blade-easier to get it smooth in my opinion. I also have the large circle for the Coluzzle system which works good too-sometimes it's not big enough.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I love my Fiskars Ultra Shape Express. I use it with their Super Sized Circles templates.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree

• Sandy Duley Said:
I would like to know how you ladies cut the large circles that you use on your pages. I tried using my Expression but the circle is too thick. Any help would be appricated - as I love the look of the open circles on the backgrounds.

Sandy

What do you mean by the circle is too think? Do you actually mean the ring is too thick?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to traceyjean

• traceyjean Said:
Cutterbee Curvy Cutter works for me.

I like it too. My mother-in-law got me the cutter and the circle template for Christmas '07, and I bought myself the oval template with a gift card this winter when Michael's had it on clearance. My Cricut is okay for this too, but not when I need to see exactly where my circle will land on the paper, or size precision to the quarter inch instead of the half inch.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to aquabunny

Plates for sure if it is over 8" wide--otherwise I use the Sizzix or the Silhouette diecut machines.

New Kid On the Block
In response to dotfree

Yes, I cut a 6 inch circle and it was too wide. I hope that makes sense. I went ahead and ordered the EK Circle Cutter system. I think this will be easier for me. I am not that great at hamd cutting.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree

• Sandy Duley Said:
Yes, I cut a 6 inch circle and it was too wide. I hope that makes sense. I went ahead and ordered the EK Circle Cutter system. I think this will be easier for me. I am not that great at hamd cutting.

I was looking through the cartridges to see if Cricut has a circular ring, the only one I found had a scalloped edge. I haven't cut it out yet to see how thick it is.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to dotfree

I'm still not exactly following what you mean by "thick" and "too wide." Are you trying to cut a ring-- open in the center?

I use the Coluzzle nested templates. But, even the largest circle template is not 'that' large. With the nested templates, you have various sizes, so you could cut a ring shape as wide as you like.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Bxr-Linda

I'm not sure I'm explaining this correctly but here goes. When I cut the circle instead of bing like a thin open ring - it was a "fat" open circle. The "ring" in this case was too wide for what I wanted to use on my background. If you measured how much of circle was there it was like I wanted it to be 1/8 and mine was like 1/2 to 3/4 wide.

cardsister
Tenant
cardsister

CM came out with a large circle cutter as part of their cutting system. I bought one and really like it. Works very well on lo's.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to cardsister

So you want a ring, not a circle?

Use a compass - draw and cut.

ctlyf
ctlyf 
Veteran
ctlyf
  • ctlyf on 02-23-10 06:12 PM
In response to Bxr-Linda

The large circle template for Coluzzle will cut circles approx 2" up to 8" across, with a ring of 1/4" wide. The small circle template will cut circles from less than 1" to approx 4 1/2".

cinnabon
Expert
cinnabon
In response to ctlyf

Can I ask what cartridges you have? do you have either DS or a Gypsy? I was having the same problems and now that I have my Gypsy I combined to circle from to different carts [plantin schoolbook, and Home Accents, put one inside the other and made the ring as thin as I wanted. It worked great! If you look at my "sisters" layout in the gallery you will see what I mean. Hope that helps!

Edited by cinnabon on 02-25-10 08:00 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics