Username Post: mini albums- chipboard or acrylic        (Topic#1528785)
fiddy 
Tenant
  • fiddy on 02-21-10 10:50 AM

to be honest i only recently discovered that there are albums in acrylic....

i am looking to create my first mini album, and i am wondering what the pros and cons are of using either chipboard or acrylic.
i have seen such beautiful work on here in the gallery for both types of albums!

i am planning to cover the surfaces with CS and PP. what is the best adhesive to use for either type of album, mod podge? also, does anyone coat their paper afterwards with any type of sealer and if so what kind?

i suppose at some point, after some practice, i would delve into leaving some acrylic pages bare and using stamps etc, but unfortunately i only have the colorbox pigment inkpads and a couple of ranger distress ink pads...can i stamp onto acrylic with those?

thanks in advance!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to fiddy

I've not yet done acrylic, so I can't answer as to that,,,,,,but I can tell you that chipboard albums are great fun,,,,I cover mine with pp, using mod podge as the glue to hold down the paper, and then to seal the paper,,,,,,and then embellish (which is the most fun part) with lots of things,,,,the sky is the limit!!!!!!!

just a word of warning,,,,,,,they are ADDICTIVE!!!!

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to fiddy

I just did my first minialbum and I did it in chipboard. The acrylic just intimidate me. To answer your questions, I didn't seal my pages afterwards, but I don't expect a lot of handling (especialy by children) on this particular book. I did use mod podge to adhere my LOs to the book. I can't answer the question about the ink/acrylic b/c I haven't worked with that medium yet. HTH

Expert
In response to sweet1

I've only done chipboard albums--haven't tried acrylic because I don't feel creative enough some days. I don't seal my chipboard albums either--and my boys love to look through some of them!

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to HuskerMom98

I have done both chipboard and acrylic mini albums. They both have their advantages. I like the chipboard because you don't have to worry about coordinating front and back sides. But they do tend to be visually heavier. The look of acrylic is so much lighter and airier, visually, but you do have to coordinate fronts and backs (use lots of double sided papers) and are tons of fun because you can see the embellishments thru the other pages offering a unique view.

For acrylic, I usually use lots of glue dots, crystal accents, and even a tape runner (if you know you are covering the back side). For the chipboard, I usually tend to cover the entire surface and often use xyron to adhere the paper to the chipboard as it gives complete coverage.

I haven't worried about sealing the albums, so I can't help there.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to Nancy Keslin

I haven't braved acrylic albums yet, but I've made some acrylic atcs and embellies. I don't recommend the pigment ink. they usually recommend things like stazon or archival ink, like the ones below.

you can also use alcohol inks to decorate acrylic. below are links to a couple of my ATCs using stamping (archival ink) and alcohol inks.

pearl n flower ATC By Tina Scraps

bathing beauty atc By Tina Scraps

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Tina scraps

I would do- chipboard for your first one--it is just alot easier than acrylic I think because you adhesive does not matter so much. If you're covering the whole page with paper, use chipboard as the base since it is cheaper and you won't see the acrylic if it is covered. I don't seal my books but alot of people do using mod podge. hth

okiegrandma
Guru
okiegrandma
In response to Jennifer Priest

I totally agree with ,Holly - be careful of addiction when you work with mini albums. They are so much fun!
I use chipboard except when I make a paper bag album. I have never used the clear acrylic, but I've thought about mixing with cpb.
The last couple of chipboard ones I painted the edges rather than inking them. Using acrylic paint, I did a border about 1/4" wide on both sides of the page, then used decorative scissors(!) on the pp - I thought it was pretty. It was done in pink, sage and cream for a first birthday album for a sweet little girl. I used cream acrylic paint and flower, stripes, and plaid in sage and pink.

Edited by okiegrandma on 02-22-10 11:40 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RobinH
RobinH 
Veteran
RobinH
In response to okiegrandma

My name is Robin and I am addicted to mini albums.

Ok that's out of the way.

I have done both. I am partial to acrylic. I love the idea of being able to see through the pages! I have made the most beautiful acrylic album for snow pictures. I'll post soon.

Adhesives: for acrylic, I use tape runners or strong glue dots. For chipboard, I've used Xyron, liquid glue and tape runners. (You just have to be sure to adhere all the way to the edges, especially if the book will be handled a lot. Be prepared to squeeze liquid glue out the edges to ensure good adhesion.)

For acrylic, you must cover the adhesive on the back of each page. Easy to do with additional paper or embellishments. Acrylic gives you a chance to take advantage of additional embellishments without having to add them to each page (because you can see them through the pages). I don't recommend covering acrylic pages completely--you'd lose the unique quality of the acrylic.

Hint: if you choose chipboard, use a marker to color the page edges BEFORE you add paper. It adds such a professional look to the book. The color could match the paper choice or just use black.

The album I'm currently using for avatar is acrylic.

Have fun. Either is a great choice.

fiddy 
Tenant
  • fiddy on 02-22-10 03:40 PM
In response to RobinH

thank you everyone for your replies. i am going to do my first mini in chipboard since that it what i already have.

just curious, which brands do you like to use best? i have one wire bound album from 7 Gyspies and one 3 ring album from i cant remember who makes it, but the rings open so that i can remove the pages easily. wondering if all chipboard albums with rings have rings that open?? otherwise, how can i get the page out so i can cover it all the way to the edge?

TIA

Christine

p.s. how do i add a photo to my profile, or i mean an avatar?

okiegrandma
Guru
okiegrandma
In response to fiddy

I usually make my albums, bought one or two name albums. I don't have a binding system, so I use book binding clips availble in most office supply stores. (I think that's what they're called.) and of course, at most scrapbook sites. I love making the name albums and have been worrying about my newest great granddaughter DeLayney album for a year and a half now. 8 letters may be too many.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics