Username Post: Best 12" trimmer        (Topic#1529015)
mamma22
New Kid On the Block
mamma22

Anyone have an opinion? I have the MM folding one that needs replacing due to a broken cutting bar. So far I've been happy with it except for the occasional screech. Has anyone tried one they like better?
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by mamma22 on 02-24-10 01:53 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

LRMemorylane
Resident
LRMemorylane
In response to mamma22

Hi- I use the Creative memories 12" straight trimmer. It is very accurate and comfortably fits in my CM tools tote when I leave for my monthly weekend crops. Hope that helps..Lori

MortyK
MortyK 
Resident
MortyK
In response to mamma22

I have a Fiskars trimmer, but next time will be trying a different brand as mine doesn't line up straight. The edge the paper rests on is not exactly 90 degrees with the cut line, so I can cut get a proper square or rectangle. I have to measure each side as I go to be sure it's squared properly - I may as well be using a craft knife and ruler. Next time I buy one, I'll be taking a set square so I can check it first!! lol.

scrappin 2
Governor
scrappin 2
In response to MortyK

Sorry to hear your trimmer problem. I've had my Fiskar personal trimmer for years. I thought it was time for a better one.( I too sometimes have trouble getting a straight cut.) I bought the Making Memories because it is always recommended. Well....it's awfully big compared to my Fiskar. I practiced cutting off the company by line on several pieces of paper. I had trouble cutting it exactly. So I don't know if I should keep it.
Does anyone have the Cutterpede?
Cutterpede Trimmer (Discontinued)

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to scrappin 2

My old fiskars trimmer is not cutting straight either. I think with my pushing too hard on the blade assembly I might have warped it slightly. I think I'm going to buy the cutterpede one next. I like the fact that the arm lifts up froim the end. I'm forever getting the arm backwards trying to lift the wrong way! also, it seems like it wouldn't warp as easily.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to scrappin 2

I have the making memories....which I love.

Tip for straight cutting..you can not push the paper to the edge and get a straight cut, you have to use the grid. If you do, it will cut straight every time.

Yes, it is big, I don't travel with it.

If I am traveling to a crop, I use the cutterpede. I love that it has the interchangeable blades. It cuts cleanly and straight (most of the time). Be sure to keep your blades sharp and your cutting mat fresh. If you let the blade run too deep into it you won't get clean cuts.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to Nancy Keslin

i have the old reliable fiskars. it was my first cutter and will be my last. NEVER had issues with a 90 degree square, always cuts straight, and i can cut through several sheets of cardstock at once. thought that there was a better one out there once because people were raving about rotary cutters, i bought one, i hated it. thought that i was just a creature of habit, used it for almost a year, and still hated it.blade comes up off track, gets jammed cuts whacky. just nothing much to say nice about it and it was more expensive than old reliable. as far as the MM goes. there was a thread on here where many many people all agreed that they cutter gives people alot of trouble and most of them said that the customer service left much to be desired.i will not buy from them because of this. IMO we spend alot of money on scrapping products, they can either give excellent CS or not get my buck.

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom
In response to mamma22

I use my Cricut 12 inch most of the time.
I can always find it because of the color!

I do have a personal Fiskars that I use on the go.

I also have the large Fiskars paper trimmer that is rather bulky.

My dd wanted a paper cutter and I got her some cheapie ones at M's (came with scissors and a ruler as a "gift pack") but they broke easily.

cardsister
Tenant
cardsister
In response to PokeyMom

I like the Tonic-it's my "old reliable"!

skrapaddict
Guru
skrapaddict
In response to mamma22

I use the Creative Memories 12" trimmer. It's great! Straight cuts every time. My only complaint is that the blade gets dull fast after using it on cardstock...don't know if other trimmers are like that as well.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to skrapaddict

I love the MM trimmer,,,,,,,won't use anything else,,,,

to fix that occasional screech,,,,,wd-40,,,,

they put 2d-40 in a pen that is alot easier to use 2 bucks at home depot,,,,

just run that pen along that cutting bar and work in well with a soft cloth,,,,

screech gone

travln1
Tenant
travln1
In response to CommaHolly

The one pictured below is the one I have. Am NOT impressed. Even using the grid, it does not cut straight. And while the blades are replaceable, the first one that came with mine (it came with 2), did not cut a clean line on a sheet of paper, certainly not cardstock, nor photos (I have to go in with my scissors to clean up the edge EVERY time). Wish I'd opted for one that's not so portable. I will definitely be looking for a new brand.

Edited by travln1 on 02-25-10 12:18 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to travln1

I don't know why people claim the MM trimmer isn't all that portable,,,,,it's heavier than a plastic trimmer, true,,,,

but that's exactly why I love it,,,,its SOLID on that table,,,,it's not going anywhere,,,,

but when I want to go somewhere, I just fold it in two, put it in the box it came in (which, btw, I am thinking about altering ) and off I go,,,,

no big deal,,,,,

I've taken much heavier stuff with me, like my sizzix and my cricut when I go to cropping with friends,,,,,

what's a trimmer???? sheesh.

ekip2
ekip2 
Expert
ekip2
  • ekip2 on 02-25-10 05:31 AM

This is an age old question which unfortunately took me forever to find the answer to !

I have a whole cutter graveyard - er drawser - in my sb room full of cutters that aren't the "right" one. Lots of fiskars, a cutterpede(which I still use for the deco blades) a full table top rotary fiskars and a tonic with a swing arm.

My current cutter - I adore it - is the tonic guillotine with the swing out arm.

See below.
I love it!! I just cut 200 4 x 5 squares for a project and it was fast, easy and accurate and always straight...something I can't say for my other cutters.

I do think cutter selection is a personal choice tho - we all like something different.

Andrea

kariyava
Pro
kariyava
In response to ekip2

I had the same problem as many of you do -- I wanted to replace my fiskars because it didn't cut straight. I bought the cutterpede because I heard good things about it but I hate it. It is a rotary cutter and I don't know if most rotary cutters are like this but I have to push really hard on it to get it to cut all the way through just regular cardstock.
Cutterpede Trimmer (Discontinued)

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to ekip2

• ekip2 Said:
This is an age old question which unfortunately took me forever to find the answer to !

I have a whole cutter graveyard - er drawser - in my sb room full of cutters that aren't the "right" one. Lots of fiskars, a cutterpede(which I still use for the deco blades) a full table top rotary fiskars and a tonic with a swing arm.

My current cutter - I adore it - is the tonic guillotine with the swing out arm.

See below.
I love it!! I just cut 200 4 x 5 squares for a project and it was fast, easy and accurate and always straight...something I can't say for my other cutters.

I do think cutter selection is a personal choice tho - we all like something different.

Andrea

There is a graveyard at my house too. Of all of my cutters I really like my little 6" Creative Memory guillotine the best and even took it to be resharpened. I also use the 12" mm cutter for larger paper but don't like it when it comes to smaller trims (slivers).

ScrapHappyStArLIGhT
Expert
ScrapHappyStArLIGhT
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I LOVE my MM trimmer! I like it's big size! I take it with me to a monthly crop and have no troubles at all toting it around. It sits perfectly on top of my rolling tote.

I have friends with the CM cutter...I don't like it! You can't cut really small pieces (sometimes I just want to take a shaving off the paper). And it's not super straight. Plus, the blade's constantly popping off (yes, they now have interchangable blades for it but I just want to CUT).

I heard some people like purple cow. I've never tried it but that's one no one's listed yet.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW

• CommaHolly Said:
I don't know why people claim the MM trimmer isn't all that portable,,,,,it's heavier than a plastic trimmer, true,,,,

but that's exactly why I love it,,,,its SOLID on that table,,,,it's not going anywhere,,,,

but when I want to go somewhere, I just fold it in two, put it in the box it came in (which, btw, I am thinking about altering ) and off I go,,,,

no big deal,,,,,

I've taken much heavier stuff with me, like my sizzix and my cricut when I go to cropping with friends,,,,,

what's a trimmer???? sheesh.

I totally agree, I fold mine and go all the time. Plus the blade is hidden which means I can leave it out on the counter and not worry about the kids cutting themselves (my other trimmers are put away).

I have gotten rid of the Fiskars blade and rotary trimmer (didn't cut straight or it cut wavvy. The only thing the MM trimmer doesn't do is small pieces so I use my CM trimmer for that but the measurements are not exact so I have to mark it first.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to sweet1

• sweet1 Said:
My old fiskars trimmer is not cutting straight either. I think with my pushing too hard on the blade assembly I might have warped it slightly. I think I'm going to buy the cutterpede one next. I like the fact that the arm lifts up froim the end. I'm forever getting the arm backwards trying to lift the wrong way! also, it seems like it wouldn't warp as easily.

I have found that pushing too hard does cause a cut that is not straight. Try using less pressure. Of course, if it's permanently warped, that won't help!

I still use my very first trimmer... the plain old Fiskars... I've been using it for 12 years! I have a couple other ones (a Tonic similar to the Fiskars and a rotary one) but I come coming back to my old one. I was at a crop last weekend and the lady sitting next to me had that big folding MM one and it squealed horribly! There were lots of people borrowing it from her though and they all came back raving about it. She said it was one of her favorite things.

The Fiskars ain't perfect, but it works! Also helps that there's a trimmer compartment in my crop bag and it fits perfectly.

cinnabon
Expert
cinnabon
In response to *jesse*

I had a portable Fiskars, which I hated as it NEVER cut straight, nor clean. I got the 12" Tonic trimmer and I love it! Its very light and cuts clean and true!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics