Page 4 of 26 
Username Post: Cancer Sucks        (Topic#1529293)
Abby0317
Mayor
Abby0317
In response to Abby0317

I forgot to add that I also believe that stress is such a bad thing when dealing with cancer and yet what could create more stress in your life...

My stress is how much will the insurance pay for? This ain't Kaiser and in a lot respects I'm sure glad it isn't. I'm trying to be calm and accept that this sickness is going to cost a chunk of change ~~~but it is my life vs money!

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to Abby0317

• Abby0317 Said:
My thoughts and prayers are with you Cassie and with your sister!

Huggss again Mandi~~~you sure didn't need that news too hon!

Mel~~great photos and it sure looks like they had a ball and for a great cause!

Angi~~~how are you today??? Is your Ron ok? I'm glad your children are accepting of this situation because you sure don't need that issue on top of handling the rest of it. I know my son said he wasn't telling his 2 (9 & 7 yr old) and I said that was fine. Just tell them Nonna is sick & that will be what they understand.

My thoughts, prayers, & hugggsss to all~~~

I told many people with weekend including friends. Truthfully it was hard but I kept a positive attitude especially with my sons. Both told me that everything I said after the word "cancer" was lost to the wind. I want to make this feel better for them (the mothering instinct) and they want to mother me now!

This week will be when I get more information on what is going on and when. Oncologist on Wed, surgeon on Thurs. After the shock of finding out my biggest problem is waiting for information.

i agree the waiting is the worst. we had biopsy on friday, radiation oncology on tuesday, a ct scan on tuesday, and now an internal ultrasound later this week, still waiting for the day of that test. waiting is the worst. i don't know why i am soo tired. ron seems ok today. he went in to work this AM for a 14 hour day. i hope all goes well for him there. i know he must be tired too.

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi
In response to abbynormaloh75

Terry.. the whole thing with the insurance in my friends case. She had insurance while working.. it covered 95 percent! But when she got sick she had to quit.. so of course she lost her benefits.. she is now on disability and she has state insurance because of her illness.. they only cover 25 percent of each chemo therapy session because it was a pre existing illness (she had the big "C" 2 years before she got on state insurance) which, if you ask me, it totally sucks that they won't pay for more of her treatment.

Reets
Reets 
Veteran
Reets
  • Reets on 03-01-10 04:08 PM

My prayer are with you for sure. One thing to remember through all of this though is to make sure you take care of YOU. Often as caregivers we tend slack off on taking care of our own needs, and it leaves us feeling run down and not able to cope. I know, been there.. Make sure you eat right, get sleep and do what gives you peace of heart in whatever doses you can get. I will pray for you to have the strength you need to go through this and pray for a good outcome for all.

00elly00
Idol
00elly00
In response to Reets

Guess I'll share my family experience.

My grandmother died after surgery for cervical cancer. She got an infection and they couldn't get rid of it. This was in 2002. I was 13.

My older sister also had cervical cancer after her first child, but miraclously it disappeared, she was told she'd never have more kids and yet she now has a total of 4!

Cervical cancer has gotten 2 out of 3 aunts and I'm at high risk due to this. Last year I had an abnormal paps so I have to get it done more often, but no cancerous cells. Also have a mole that may be skin cancer, just found out a cousin has this and now I really do have to get in to get it biopsied.

Hugs to everyone.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to 00elly00

I'd like to pop in again to add that we all need to be our own health advocates, and also be there to serve as health advocates for our loved ones when necessary.

What's wonderful today is that we're empowered like never before just by the knowledge available on the internet. Doctors are not gods, although they are schooled to think of themselves as god-like (otherwise, how could they make themselves perform surgery?). They are human, with human brains just like ours.

Decades ago, my dermatologist noted on my history that I had an aunt who died of a melanoma (different aunt, long before I was born) and told me I had to avoid unprotected sun, etc. I took it to heart and did as I was told for the last 25 odd years and am now paying for it with irreversible bone disease and related illnesses from being deprived of the sun's benefits. The thing is, it took doctors a year to nail down a diagnosis due to a rather complicated and boringly lengthy comedy of medical errors.

Please everyone, educate yourselves, speak up and if you can't, bring someone with you who will. I actually found it far easier to do so for others than for myself because when I was the one suffering through the confusion of the waiting and the not knowing, I suddenly became somewhat irrational - one doctor actually told my husband that I was suffering from 'fog on the brain' as if I wasn't standing right there, so to just kindly ignore my rantings.

Off my soapbox now...

ScrappyHeather
Mayor
ScrappyHeather
In response to RockStar

My prayers go out to you and your family Elly. I have DH check my back all the time JIC. I do have a mole on my ear and one on my neck that I keep close watch on. I think I am finally at the point that I am going to have them removed to be safe.

00elly00
Idol
00elly00
In response to ScrappyHeather

Well the one on I have is on my arm and has started to discolor in the center and lump up, two signs of skin cancer...or so I've been told

ScrappyHeather
Mayor
ScrappyHeather
In response to 00elly00

Elly I truly think that you should get that mole looked at, removed and biopsied. Please! Letting it go will be worse in the long run. Don't make me come to WI and drag your butt to the dermatologist!!

00elly00
Idol
00elly00
In response to ScrappyHeather

trust me heather I will be getting it done soon.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Yellielynn

My prayers go out to all of you. My husband has cancer. Lost alot of family members to it.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to carol59

welcome carol. i am so sorry that your husband has also been cursed with this dreaded disease. if there is anything we can do to be of comfort, please don't hesitate to ask. he will be lifted in my prayers tonight. god bless.
angi

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to Yellielynn

wow. BF is oh soo cranky tonight. i don't really know how to respond. i don't mind when he snaps at me, but i hate it when he snaps at the kids. i know he doesnt mean to sound harsh, but he does. i have tried talking to him about it, but he just really doesn't see that it is coming out meanly. i know he is stressed out and i know that he has a million things on his mind. i don't want to be a cranky person (was thinking female dog here) but i don't want the kids to feel like they can't open their mouths for fear of being snapped at. ok i know this really can't be fixed but i just needed to vent it out here before i went in the livingroom and ripped the tumor out with my bare hands. ok vent over....feeling better....thanks guys.

Abby0317
Mayor
Abby0317
In response to Reets

• Reets Said:
My prayer are with you for sure. One thing to remember through all of this though is to make sure you take care of YOU. Often as caregivers we tend slack off on taking care of our own needs, and it leaves us feeling run down and not able to cope. I know, been there.. Make sure you eat right, get sleep and do what gives you peace of heart in whatever doses you can get. I will pray for you to have the strength you need to go through this and pray for a good outcome for all.

This is soooo true...! I watched my mom pushed dad around in a wheelchair while taking care of his every need and his ailments. Willing herself not be sick, etc. After he passed suddenly, it took 3 mos before she was suffering from spinal problems etc.

Angi~~~your tired due to emotional drain. I know...I've been there! Sleep relax and somehow (thru exercise or something) get rid of your stress!!! Hard I know...

Mandi~~~How devastating about the insurance. Lordy how mixed up is all of that! It really scares the beejeebies out of me. Luckily our ins is under direction that they had to cover existing problems and by doing that all of Weyerhaeuser is now BCBS. I send many hugggsss to your friend & to you!

Ellie~~~Go have your mole(s) removed!!! It's simple enough and melanoma and the other skin cancers kill quick. I've had basil cell cancer on my face and I thought is was only a pimple that wouldn't heal. I was lucky...but being a red-head I do get checkups all the time. Pleasseee go do this and don't wait.....!!!!

I guess I'll spend tomorrow on the phone with all the ins people and see what's what.

Edited by Abby0317 on 03-01-10 10:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Abby0317
Mayor
Abby0317
In response to Abby0317

Carol~~~welcome and huggsss!

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi
In response to Abby0317

Carol- thoughts and prayers go out you too.

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi
In response to SQ Mandi

Terry- the entire insurance thing scares the heck out of me too. I received a bill from the hospital for Natalia 's birth. My insurance almost didn't cover it because according to them it was a pre-existing illness... It only took a phone call from me and them seeing that it was a pregnancy/ birth but still it makes me wonder if I was sick before I got the insurance would I have to pay out of pocket for treatments? Know what I mean?

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to SQ Mandi

let me say...my fiance does not have insurance. so right now all of this is coming out of our pocket. i understand everyone's fears because we are going through this ourselves. i just pray that God will take care of us. they have to treat him the same way they would a patient with insurance and their are programs out there for the uninsured with cancer they he applied to. either way, we will be ok. as long as we make an effort to pay something every month, we will be ok. but financially, this will rock us like nothing before. i wish we were married, because he would have insurance.

ScrappyHeather
Mayor
ScrappyHeather
In response to SQ Mandi

Terry I worked for health insurance for 5 years. There are all different plans that a company can choose sadly most companies go for the less expensive one to keep costs to them and their employees down; unfortunately the cheaper plan has less coverage, higher deductibles, co-pay and co-insurance. Also, each state has their own guidelines about per-existing conditions. Some birth defects and disabilities are considered pre-ex, now that is not right!

Welcome Carol & {hugs}

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi

Oh wow
  • abbynormaloh75 Said:
let me say...my fiance does not have insurance. so right now all of this is coming out of our pocket. i understand everyone's fears because we are going through this ourselves. i just pray that God will take care of us. they have to treat him the same way they would a patient with insurance and their are programs out there for the uninsured with cancer they he applied to. either way, we will be ok. as long as we make an effort to pay something every month, we will be ok. but financially, this will rock us like nothing before. i wish we were married, because he would have insurance.

Page 4 of 26 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics