Page 5 of 26 
Username Post: Cancer Sucks        (Topic#1529293)
CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to SQ Mandi

Oh Elly have the mole removed,,,,,it's soooooo simple,,,,,

I had a LARGE mole on my head, pink in color (hair stylists often thought it was bubblegum!!!) that was so large that you could finally see it through my hair before they decided they should take it off,,,,,

I DREADED it,,,,,the thought of having it cut off made me sick to my stomach,,,,

let me tell you, it took about 40 seconds,,,,and was over like THAT,,,,,,it was NOTHING.

fortuately, it was NOTHING,,,,but the dread for years was far far worse than just having it taken off!

Abby0317
Mayor
Abby0317
In response to CommaHolly

Angi~~~I just gasped when I read you have no insurance to cover this. Oh !!!! And I'm confused~~~won't cover him as a single guy but will if he's married? Never heard of that! But (she says with a grin) what are the laws in your state about "common law" marriages? If you fall under that, would the insurance cover it? Common law is just as binding anymore as regular marriage.

I know right now that according to our plan (which is good but with a high yrly deductible) I would first have to meet the ded which is $2650 and then I pay 15% of everything else until I reach a total of $6800 and then they pay 100%. Still sucks since in Dec DH had 2 surgeries within 5 days of each other, spent 8 total days in the hosp and because we had Kaiser we paid a total of $125. Yep $125 on a $28,700 bill. Amazing....and depressing!

Mandi~~~you are really lucky that you got what you fought for! Even pregnancies/baby care are so totally expensive!

I do know a few people who have had to file Medical Bankruptcy. It means everything else in your life is fine but if accepted then the hospitals, etc have to forgive their medical bills. It's certainly saved a bunch of people and kept them sane and out of jail!

Huggsss all~~~

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi
In response to Abby0317

Abby.. I am grateful that they covered it.. my hospital bill was over 15k.

I was talking to my friend Jen this morning, so far out of pocket she has had to pay over 12K in treatments and she still has a bill of 5k that she is paying as well as what ever treatments she continues to have. She is thinking about waiting untl the end of the year and filing.

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 03-02-10 11:53 AM
In response to abbynormaloh75

I am so glad to hear that your son has made it to the 5 year mark. And I am so sorry that your fiance has been diagnosed. He has quite a battle ahead of him, but I hope he kicks it's butt!

As I mentioned in the other Thread I was diagnosed with Leukemia back in September. I went into remission after my initial round of chemo therapy and am in the hospital this week for my 3rd of 4 rounds of consolidation therapy.

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 03-02-10 11:55 AM
In response to Abby0317

I am so sorry for you diagnosis. I was quite shocked when I got mine, also. I didn't realize that adults even got Leukemia. Good luck with your treatment and stay strong. You can beat this!

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to Hev

if we were married he could be placed on my insurance. although we are very fortunate that this hospital is working with us not against us. he meets with a social worker this week to help get him on state sponsored health insurance. he picked a lousy time to start a brand new job. no insurance til after 120 days and this will on be pre existing. but there was NO possible way that he could wait on treatment. honestly, i just am not even thinking about the financial aspects. as long as he is healthy and live that is all i care about.

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 03-02-10 01:00 PM
In response to Scrapbook Queen

That must have been quite a shock. I have lost 2 family members to lung cancer but they were both smokers.

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 03-02-10 01:06 PM
In response to CommaHolly

Holly, This made me tear up!

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 03-02-10 01:07 PM
In response to ScrappyHeather

I'm sorry to hear about your family Member. We have some good cancer centers and oncologists here in Fl!

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 03-02-10 01:11 PM

I just got married,just a couple weeks before I was diagnosed, so I know what the no insurance thing is like. I was feeling poorly all summer but didnt go to the dr because I had no insurance. My then fiance dragged me to an urgent care place a few days before we got married. They thought I might have that h pyelori bacteria so sent me for blood test for that, didnt even order a basic blood panel since I didnt have any insurance. Then turned around and gave me a prescription for 200 dolar aciphex for GIRD that I dont have. I hope he gets good care in spite of not having insurance.

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 03-02-10 01:14 PM

I know how you feel. I felt the same way, that it isn't fair. I am not a smoker, I dont drink very much or very often. I had my doctor tell me a couple years ago, that I was rediculously healthy to get out of his office. Never had a broken bone, only surgery was a csection after which I had too VBACs.

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 03-02-10 01:15 PM
In response to 2xblessed

This is soo sad. I am so glad that there are not children on the ward I am on. I dont think I could handle it.

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 03-02-10 01:17 PM
In response to Kathy_in_wlsv

I'm so sorry about your sister. I agree that there needs to be more awareness of other types of cancer.

Abby0317
Mayor
Abby0317
In response to Hev

• Hev Said:
As I mentioned in the other Thread I was diagnosed with Leukemia back in September. I went into remission after my initial round of chemo therapy and am in the hospital this week for my 3rd of 4 rounds of consolidation therapy.

This is one reason I hate being diagnosed with some something that is so broad and so devastating. There is soooo much to learn and right now I don't know where to start. Tomorrow should help after my first visit then I'll at least know more of my type of cancer.
If I could please ask, if it isn't too much, what is consolidation therapy? And I am sendin huggss to you as well.

create4sanity
Diva
create4sanity
In response to Abby0317

I AM A SURVIVOR!! I was diagnosed in May, 2002 with stage III breast cancer. I had 8 malignant lymph nodes. Had a complete radical masectomy on the left side. They removed 26 lymph nodes. I had six months of chemo and 37 radiation treatments. I took Arimidex for 5 years. My cancer was hormone positive which means that all the years of taking hormone replacement therapy was what caused the cancer. I went through genetic testing and am BRAC 1 and BRAC 2 negative. This means is was not inherited. Do not ever take HRT for menopause - just tough it out.

I had had mamograms every year and had one in January of that year - 4 months later massive breast cancer! When the dr. told me, of course, I cried and about went crazy. About 15 minutes later, I told God that I could not handle this and I was giving it to him to take care of how ever he saw fit. I felt at complete peace and have been ever since. Not to say that there were days that I was discouraged, especially when I puked everyday and still gained weight (from the meds.). My story is a long one and I don't want to bore everyone with it. I just want to say to everyone to find their faith, trust in God, except the help from others, and keep positive.
Also a word of warning, you probably will lose some friends because they just don't know what to do. Don't be bitter at them for this. Try not to worry about the money part. That will not be easy but your life is worth more than any amount. My whole treatment from start to ending was almost $500,000. My insurance paid most of it and the cancer clinic accepted what the insurance paid and I paid very little. I praise God everyday for this. I do not let cancer rule my life and it is not my identifying factor. Odds are that it will return somewhere. If is does, I will deal with it again. One day at a time. I am strong, happy, and I will survive!

I would love to counsel anyone with beast cancer - believe me , I have heard and seen it all. Please PM me and we can talk that way or I will give you my phone number. Stay brave and positive!

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 03-02-10 06:26 PM
In response to Abby0317

I hope you get more info tommorrow. No one really told me anything. I had to read it in the "book of doom" as we called it. Consolidation therapy is basically a maintenance chemo. From what the dr has told us in the studies for my type of leukemia, 4 rounds seems to be the right number. 2 isnt enough 6 is overkill type of thing. I went to remission after the first round, guess they just want to keep it that way!

Abby0317
Mayor
Abby0317
In response to Hev

Thank you for the explanation...I'm sure I'm about to enter into a world of new terms & different languages. Good luck tomorrow!

Donna~~~you are such an inspiration! WOW...! You know that is one thing I do need to find out...whether or not the Premarin played a part in this. I took the losest dosage and then only every 2 to 3 days. Never every day. But supposedly I was a good candidate for it since no family member has ever had cancer. Goes to show ya...! I do have a good attitude and mindset on this. I will survive, I'm not done watching those beautiful wee ones grow up yet, and I still have hubby nagging to do too.
As I am sure I will have questions and need support, I thank you for offering to be there. I'm sure with your posititive outlook all of us on this thread will need you.

Again I thank you and I thank Angi for being brave enough to start this!

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to Abby0317

well today ron starts mapping for radiation. at the same time i will have my son over at the children's hospital. we have been messing with a broken arm for too long and we find out if he might need surgery to help the healing process along. i just need prayers that all is well and that we will all be ok. i am on the brink today. i think i need a good cry and i just don't have the time.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar

I used to just let in out in the car honey...on my way somewhere I'd just howl it out making a total spectacle of myself, but who cares. It helped.

Hugs.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 03-03-10 07:53 AM
In response to RockStar

i had 9 rounds of chemo, should"ve been 12 but developed breathing complicationd

20 radiation treatments

all within 6 months

Page 5 of 26 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics