Username Post: preparing my materials        (Topic#1529469)
elynn_hah
New Kid On the Block
elynn_hah

hi everyone,

i'm new in scrapbooking. currently i haven't start any of the project yet because i need to get the materials before i start. my place is not convenient to get the materials and there are super expensive. so i have to get it via online.

currently i've already bought eyelet tools, some ribbons, some pattern papers. i also ordered spellbinders die-cut and emboss wizard. there are so many die-cuts to choose from.

i guess scrapbooking have to spend quite a lot at the start.
Products Referenced in This Post:

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 03-01-10 05:31 AM
In response to elynn_hah

Hi and welcome.

It's really overwhelming when you first start, and can definitely be an expensive hobby.

All you really need to start are photos, cardstock, a good pair of scissors, a sharp paper trimmer, journaling pens, black or brown ink pads(for outlining the edges and other uses) and adhesive.

A little patterned paper and a few punches are also nice. Embellishments are fun touches, but you can make your own.

You don't really need anything else to create pages. Most of us (myself included) buy WAY too much, then need a whole room in our homes to hold all the crafting stuff. It's easy to buy too much.

You don't need a die cut or embossing system, though it's certainly fun to have. I have been scrapping for a year and don't have either. You can check my gallery for the work I create without them. Under my photo on the L is a link that says izzyb's gallery.

Of the basics, my favs are listed below. You don't need to buy these exact products. These are just basics that I find myself using over and over again. The mono adhesive at the bottom of the list below is also called Tombow.

I hope this is helpful.

elynn_hah
New Kid On the Block
elynn_hah
In response to IzzyB

thanks izzy for the useful information. yea, usually there are a lot of people get a lot of materials ended up become a scrapbook room to store the stuffs. i try to keep it as minimal as possible because i'm afraid i will give up one day.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to elynn_hah

When I first started, I bought a Fiskars Shape cutter set and the Fancy scissors, Design paper and glue, Stickers and letters. I still use my Fiskars shape cutter alot.

ScrapHappyStArLIGhT
Expert
ScrapHappyStArLIGhT
In response to debby_westbrook

I would start with the basics (paper, trimmer, scissors, photos, journaling pens, etc) and just start creating. As you go, you will realize that you want to try this or that. Everyone is different and creates differently. The only way to truly figure out what you need to scrapbook is to start and see what you find you're wanting.

Do you have any friends that scrapbook? Scrapbooking with others is a great way to see what they use and to be able to "test" their stuff. Local crops are also very wonderful for this too!

Here are some of my standard items I use...
* Tape runner (I like Creative Memories, 3L, or GlueArts)
* Liquid adhesive for buttons/chipboard/bulky stuff (I like zip dry and Mono)
* Trimmer
* Scissors
* Zig markers (for sure black and brown)
* Paper (patterened paper to fit my LO theme, colored cardstock to coordinate, black/brown/and white cardstock are also staples)
* Brown and black chalk ink for distressing edges (cat's eye is a great brand)
* Embellishments to coordinate with my theme (rub-ons, stickers, flowers, buttons, brads, and other items)

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to elynn_hah

Before you start spending a lot of money on die cuts, I just want to mention that I have both the Spellbinder and the Cricut. You can buy a small Cricut for under $80 and a cartridge for under $35. Just one font cartridge can do EVERY letter in MANY sizes as opposed to the Spellbinder which can only cut in ONE size. I STILL buy Spellbinder die-cuts when they're on sale, but I've gotten A LOT more mileage out of my Cricut.

elynn_hah
New Kid On the Block
elynn_hah
In response to leslief

hi all,

thanks for the advice! really help me a lot on preparing some tools. as u can see that i'm not from US. i'm from malaysia and getting the stuffs here really hard and expensive so i decided to get it online. in order to get free shipping, i need to buy more. what i do is to just get paper materials and some favourite embellishments. when the materials is here, i will start my first scrapbooking. yay!!!

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to elynn_hah

welcome to this wonderful world of scrapbooking you will never have everything you want so dont concern yourself with getting it all before you start...it just wont happen.
I do highly reccomend cricut and scal you can cut anything with scal and you never have to buy carts. If you can find a pic you can cut it 1000s of fonts you will never run out and you can make your own embellishments, all you really need is paper adhesive mats and blades and your good to go. Of course you will want to add extras as you go BUT you will be off to a great start if you get this.

again welcome.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics