Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: book of me questions        (Topic#1529649)
jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo

I am getting ready to start a Book of Me (BOM) and I need some advice. I have researched and researched and found many great ideas and I can't wait to start but I'm having an issue. My book will be AT LEAST 160 pg's.....I know ppl do them all different ways, but for that many pg.'s would you try to color coordinate the paper? My issue with that is.....what if the paper I pic clashes with some of the photo's.....also I have already scrapped some of the important pics that should go into this book well before I decide to make the book. So they are scrapped on all sorts of papers. But then again.....the perfectionist in me thinks it should all flo......what to do?????

Also I was wondering for that many Lo's what album will hold that many or more.....is there one that big?

scrappin 2
Governor
scrappin 2
In response to jennaroo

Wow! That's a big undertaking. I think it's more fun to use lots of papers rather than stick to one color scheme. That would get pretty boring. Besides it's so much fun to do the holidays in holiday papers. I think, if you already have some made, stick to that size. 3 ringed albums hold a lot.

Legomom
Expert
Legomom
In response to scrappin 2

• scrappin 2 Said:
Wow! That's a big undertaking. I think it's more fun to use lots of papers rather than stick to one color scheme. That would get pretty boring. Besides it's so much fun to do the holidays in holiday papers. I think, if you already have some made, stick to that size. 3 ringed albums hold a lot.

Yeah..what she said.

I have a BOM in progress and I have different pp for different moments. I have been able to find really neat retro papers every so often as well, which kind of adds some interest to the book. My kids love it and ask about phones with dials.. and you mean the phones had cords and were on the walls??? Egad!

timetraveler
Guru
timetraveler
In response to Legomom

a bom should be anything you like it wont clash because its things you like and enjoy
thats why its called a bom hugs Lucretta

Resident
In response to timetraveler

How it has a person who installs a scrapbook that has and makes the variations in the sky, without aid? It is one of the things, of which they are moving the preoccupation more, of which was rented to produce visible during my time in the length.

hiscrappergirl
Idol
hiscrappergirl
In response to Wafatah

Maybe pick a couple of lines from the same manufacturer like Basic Grey or something where the color schemes are different but still "go" together. Also if you run into problems print the pics in black and white.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to hiscrappergirl

I have a book of me (actually I've moved on to a second one since the first was full), and I treat every page separately. works for me, especially since I constantly evolve as a person and may revisit some topics and make new pages about the same things, it could go on forever.

Btw, have you already found the BOM idea thread? and there are several challenges for BOM.

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/13747...

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15293...

LADYofLAYOUTS
Guru
LADYofLAYOUTS
In response to Tina scraps

I did a BOM challenge on my group for two years...all of my layouts were double pages....it was so fun!

CourtneyLee
Resident
CourtneyLee
In response to LADYofLAYOUTS

I wouldn't worry about all of the papers matching, just that they go with the theme of the layout. You could also break the book down into different times of your life or different themes because it might be difficult to put that many pages in one album (and I definitely recommend using a D-ring album). I'm still working on this myself and I am constantly re-organizing my albums!

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to CourtneyLee

I have a large D-ring We-R-Memory Keepers Album and it won't hold 160 pages. I have approximately 60 to 65 pages and it won't hold additional pages.

I think you shouldn't worry about coordinating an album of that size. As a previous poster said, that would be boring after a while. Not to mention, creating an album of that caliber in the same color scheme (in my opinion ONLY) seems like it would become monotonous fast.

Divinemsq
Resident
Divinemsq
In response to jennaroo

Yeah, ditto everyone else.

I am periodically working on my BOM and have used several different lines from BasicGrey. Most of the pics I've scrapped so far have been from my childhood in the 1970's. I've found BG's Offbeat and Mellow lines worked really well for those pics...all of those oranges and avocado greens!!!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 03-03-10 04:29 AM
In response to Divinemsq

There's no reason at all for the pages to match or even coordinate. In fact, I think it's better if pages don't match if you're doing 1-page layouts. Say, for example, you are doing a page about your baton recital and a page about making the honor roll. These two pages have nothing to do with one another other than you were age 10 when it happened.

If you put two 1-page layouts side by side in an album and they are on matching/coordinating papers then the viewer is going to think the two pages go together when they don't. It's better to signal to the viewer that the two pages are not related by scrapping them on different papers that don't match/coordinate.

Just my two cents.

livelovecreate86
Expert
livelovecreate86
In response to IzzyB

I would say you don't have to have the same color scheme in the whole book. Use pages that coordinate with the pictures you are scrapping on that page, it will make it that much more interesting!

beccaboo3
Veteran
beccaboo3
In response to IzzyB

I haven't done a BOM exactly, but I'm working on a scrapbook of me and my sister when we were kids. It turned into a huge project like yours. I decided to do like CourtneyLee said and organize it into different time periods of our lives. I tried at first to make it coordinate, but then realized it was better to just make each page different to represent the photos that were on it and not worry about the other pages and if they would match. I ended up having to put mine into several albums and it still isn't even close to being finished. Good luck with your project.

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo
In response to beccaboo3

THanks so much for all the advice ladies. I am so excited to get started on this.

Yes I did check out the thread on BOM's thats where I found tons of great ideas.

I know this is a huge project but I feel like when I am done with it....it really will be my story that I will leave behind for everyone. Hopefully my children will enjoy pourig over it with their children and so on.

AmyK75
AmyK75 
Veteran
AmyK75
In response to beccaboo3

I agree with everthing said here.. I never thought of making 1 page layouts contract so when looked at you know they don't "go" together, but that's a really good idea.

I will add... If your going back to your childhood and it sounds like you are, don't forget dates and years and journaling, I'm not big on journalling but the little bit I've done in my book I'm very glad I have. Dates and Years are me... I hate guessing when a photo was taken.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to AmyK75

Wow! I'm just curious, how did you calcuate that it will be 160 pages?

I'm with everyone else... don't coordinate!

lifeinthefastlane
Diva
lifeinthefastlane
In response to jennaroo

• jennaroo Said:
I am getting ready to start a Book of Me (BOM) and I need some advice. I have researched and researched and found many great ideas and I can't wait to start but I'm having an issue. My book will be AT LEAST 160 pg's.....I know ppl do them all different ways, but for that many pg.'s would you try to color coordinate the paper? My issue with that is.....what if the paper I pic clashes with some of the photo's.....also I have already scrapped some of the important pics that should go into this book well before I decide to make the book. So they are scrapped on all sorts of papers. But then again.....the perfectionist in me thinks it should all flo......what to do?????

Also I was wondering for that many Lo's what album will hold that many or more.....is there one that big?

My book will be as thick as yours. I match my paper to my pics or theme though. I never color coordinate an album. I will A) get tired of those colors VERY fast and B) would rather my individual papers clash, not my pictures. When I am looking through someones book, I am not noticing that the 1st page in the book doesnt match the 10th page. But I will notice if a certain page, the paper totally clashes with the picture.

I host a BOM challenge each month if you want to join. I am having a baby any day now, so its being cohosted for me this month, but the link is in my signature

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to lifeinthefastlane

i love the bom challenges. i am not currently scrapping but i can't wait to find my mojo again. like everyone here, just worry about it one layout at a time. i don't think it all needs to match in order to flow. i kind of like the surprise with each page factor.

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo
In response to abbynormaloh75

Thanks guys, I feel much better about using all different colors, brands, and types of papers now. I was really struggling with this.

I am slowing jumping into this project, and can't wait to see how this turns out.

I have some fab. ideas from this site and a few others....things I would have never even thought about.....some I thought seemed kind of silly but then after some thought, I think they will be neat fancies of myself to leave behind.

I will def. check out the challenge.

Does anyone have a good SAFE pop culture site they can recommend. I have checked many, and got some info. but I feel like I want more. I also recieved a nice big fat virus surprise from one this morning and took for ever to clean up!!!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics